Trade Luongo??? (Please keep hate mail to a minimum)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Molson Muscle
CC Veteran

Trade Luongo??? (Please keep hate mail to a minimum)

Post by Molson Muscle »

Okay....let me preface this by saying I don't know how I actually feel about what I'm gonna float out there. Let'sface it the cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to scoring talent in this organization, with not alot out there to be had as far as free agency goes. Which leads to this wild idea (and please keep the hate mail to a minimum...my family and I thank you). Wouldn't it make sense to at least explore trade options for Luongo. As of now, he's our biggest asset by a country mile and the only asset that will fetch us 3-4 great players enabling us to vastly upgrade our talent level in all areas (except goal where we're giving up arguably the best player at this position in the league). Obviously I'd trade him to a team in the east...and the 2 examples that spring to mind are Ottawa (start with a package of Vermette, Fisher and Mezaros), or Boston (Bergeron, Lucic and Thomas to start with). If we didn't receive a goalie in the deal, we could then use some of our large amount of cap room on Huet (I believe he's unrestricted).
Rehab is for quitters
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler »

not a ridiculous suggestion IMO, but you would have to do this because you believed you won't be able to get the forwards neccessary to put in front of Luongo while you have him under contract,which is very possible, however from a marketing position this would be setting yourself up for some serious backlash from the fans and media. Also it would really be a stretch to get a suitable replacement goaltendier (remember the previous 10 years before Luongo).
The Canucks might not be able to find the offence they need while Luongo is here and possibly should be looking down the road towards the next version of the Canucks. But as long as they have Luongo they are a contender in everyones eyes.
Also I'd say it's 50/50 that Nonis could very well find the right players this summer.
Reverend Smack
CC Veteran

Post by Reverend Smack »

I would consider this after next season, we have Luongo under contract for 2 more years. I would rather see some upgrades via UFA, RFA, and trades for next season. It is pretty tough to win the cup without a top goaltender. :arrow:

Perhaps next season DN /AV should give the back up role to Schneider and play him for 20 games to see how he responds to NHL calibre play. :idea:

Plus after next year you will have a good feel for weather Lou wants to stay or not. :mex:
The truth may hurt...but it is still the Truth...Have a nice day :)
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

dangler wrote:But as long as they have Luongo they are a contender in everyones eyes.
Sorry, but this idea is rubbish. Yes a great goalie helps, but you still need a damn good team in front of him if you are a true cup contender. The Canucks have not been a contender the past two seasons. It doesn't matter what public perception is, it only matters what the facts show. With Luongo, average team. And now a team that missed the playoffs. At this rate, Louie's 4 year contract will have passed with nothing really to show for it. And now this summer come a lot of changes and a lot of uncertainty, led by a GM with an unproven track record. Let's face it gang, the Luongo Era isn't exactly knocking anyone's socks off here.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Molson Muscle
CC Veteran

Post by Molson Muscle »

If you look at it from a purely business standpoint, we bought low and are selling high. It would definitely be a huge trade, one that would put a stamp on this franchise for years to come. Nonis has been on record as saying that he's not thrilled with signing RFA's and there's no UFA's out there that'll make a huge splash (Sundin is staying in Toronto and Sakic and Forsberg are staying in Colorado). Which leaves us with trading, and I'd be fine with trading draft picks because our scouting staff is so woefully inept we can't draft worth a damn anyways.
Rehab is for quitters
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Good post Molson Muscle...

I'm on the fence about this one. I'd be willing to trade Luongo provided he gives us a solid return, but what defines a "solid" return? We've see Joe Thornton get traded for virtually nothing and Marian Hossa for a bunch of third-line checkers.

With a player of Luongo's calibre it's tough to gauge what sort of return you'd get. He is one of the league's best, but whether or not he's worth one Vinny Lecavalier is a tough call. Whether or not Luongo is worth 2 Antoine Vermettes and 2 Andrej Meszaros is an even tougher call.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Trading one great asset for another doesn't make sense my opinion. At least we know what we have with Luongo. We could bring in a Lecavilier-type player, but have no idea how he'll perform in the Orca.

Two good players can be had with our cap space (and I'm assuming the cap will go up next year).
2019-20 - Playoff Bound
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

We have one and only one player who we can call a superstar. So let's trade him. We MIGHT be able to get a good forward for him and a passable goalie and a throw in. These players will last for 3 to 5 years. Luongo in 3 to 5 years will still be a superstar and we won't have him. I don't like the idea but you keep on dreaming as long as it's only a dream or it will be a nightmare.
supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

Interesting idea but I would only do it for a superstar forward in return. Superstar forward for a superstar goalie.

One "crazy" idea could be dangling Luongo for a guy like Malkin. Crosby is number 1 in Pittsburgh and Malkin MAY want to go somewhere where he is number 1 himself (as he proved how good he is if he is the main focus on a team). Imagine Pittsburgh with Crosby and Stall as 1 and 2 and having Luongo instead of Fleury in net. Vancouver gets the number it has been looking for the last 4 decades.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Yeah, a solid suggestion and I see where you're coming from, but this is a reactionary post. Luongo is a player you NEVER

EVER

EVER

EVER

trade. Not in a million years. Sure he sucked down the stretch, but he was exhausted and was distracted (not to mention that for long stretched the entire team gave up on the concept of defence). He has every reason to improve next year and prove his doubters wrong. Unless the return is one of Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin, I wouldn't (and I'm sure Nonis thinks the same thing) move Roberto Luongo. Goaltenders like him come around once every 10-15 years. Have we totally forgotten the Cloutier years? We've grown complacent and over-critical watching Louie every night. If we had ANYONE ELSE behind our current team we'd be in dead last. No question about it. A small increase in scoring is nowhere near enough to make up for a huge downgrade in net.

Let's end this madness now. Trading Luongo is without a doubt the single most insane notion anyone has ever had in history. It amazes me sometimes that he was traded twice in his career. He is just too good to ever let slip away.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

For those who didn't catch the Satellite Hotstove, the panel were discussing that Luongo may not be happy in Vancouver. Al Strachan went on to say that if Ottawa falters, then Spezza will be the one to be moved. He hinted that a Spezza for Luongo trade could be made. Someone on the panel also said that Luongo and Jokinen are also great friends and that there's a chance the Canucks could make a move for him.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Trading for Jokinen would be a good move for the right price.
For those who didn't catch the Satellite Hotstove, the panel were discussing that Luongo may not be happy in Vancouver. Al Strachan went on to say that if Ottawa falters, then Spezza will be the one to be moved.
If Luongo is unhappy, it may very well be because he knows he didn't get the support he needed from his teammates on the ice and wants to win. Keeping this team for one more season was essentially keeping the status quo.

I pray that all of this is b.s. and that Luongo is back for many, many seasons to come. You NEVER trade a franchise goaltender!
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
BigBert
CC Rookie

Post by BigBert »

i don't think it's impossible.

in 2 years gina will sign anywhere in the eastern time zone...closer to grandma, grandpa and the new offspring.

get something for him now, instead of nothing in 2 years, because nonis won't be able to build a contender from this mess by then.

get schneider's development on the fast track and build a team that actually moves toward the offensive zone 1st when they get the puck.
Disclaimer: This is an internet message board. The messages you read and their authors are to be taken seriously at your own risk. Remember, you don’t have ANY idea who these “people” really are, do you?
BigBert
CC Rookie

Post by BigBert »

HappyCanuck wrote:Luongo in 3 to 5 years will still be a superstar and we won't have him. I don't like the idea but you keep on dreaming as long as it's only a dream or it will be a nightmare.
you're right, because his wife will have him playing in the east after his contract here expires.
Disclaimer: This is an internet message board. The messages you read and their authors are to be taken seriously at your own risk. Remember, you don’t have ANY idea who these “people” really are, do you?