What do you want done in the off season?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which would you like to see done most?

Getting rid of the warm & fuzzie swedes?
5%
Bring in more North American players?
42%
New coach?
21%
New GM?
11%
New Captain?
21%

Total votes: 19

RC51
CC Rookie

Post by RC51 »

Time to revamp the top two lines.

The Sedins are great in the regular season but when the play tightens up and the D/checking line focus on them (like in the playoffs or the end of the season), coupled with a lack of another scoring line, they just can't get the Nucks to the next level. They would thrive as a second line unit, imo, rather than the number one unit. Maybe if they had a bona fide, permanent winger, who knows? But, I think it's time to move on. They eat up $7m together.

Nazzy's $6m will be freed (I think he won't be back, even at a reduced salary), it's likely Mo and his $3.2m will be gone (I'd resign him for near the same amount - he still is a 60 point per year player after all. Try finding another one for less). That frees up a lot of cap money. Our D really is pretty much set. Maybe there will be some movement, as in straight trades, among the core - perhaps Ohlund or Salo (although both have no-trade clauses). But no major signings required there.

So, how about this. A little far fetched perhaps, but don't discount it totally out of hand. Target prying Malkin away from the Pens by dangling the Sedins as trade bait. Malkin is signed through next year. But after that the Pens will be facing a potential Tampa Bay scenario if they try to sign Malkin given Crosby's deal ($9m per), Gonchar at $6m per, and what about them trying to sign Hossa? Plus, Marc Andre-Fleury needs a new deal next year, and Jordan Staal has one year left on his current deal. Can the Pens afford to sign Malkin (even if they don't sign Hossa) and still have money to spread around? I doubt it. Malkin will command near Crosby money. Why trading for the Sedins could be attractive to the Pens: the Sedins would cost them $7m for both - and they get themselves a bona fide second line to replace Malkin. Just an idea... and it's not simply some goofy-ass suggestion without any rationale basis to it.

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

RC51 wrote: So, how about this. A little far fetched perhaps, but don't discount it totally out of hand. Target prying Malkin away from the Pens by dangling the Sedins as trade bait. Malkin is signed through next year. But after that the Pens will be facing a potential Tampa Bay scenario if they try to sign Malkin given Crosby's deal ($9m per), Gonchar at $6m per, and what about them trying to sign Hossa? Plus, Marc Andre-Fleury needs a new deal next year, and Jordan Staal has one year left on his current deal. Can the Pens afford to sign Malkin (even if they don't sign Hossa) and still have money to spread around? I doubt it. Malkin will command near Crosby money. Why trading for the Sedins could be attractive to the Pens: the Sedins would cost them $7m for both - and they get themselves a bona fide second line to replace Malkin. Just an idea... and it's not simply some goofy-ass suggestion without any rationale basis to it.
I like your idea. You are right that it would be beneficial to the Pens in a monetary sense of having 2/3rds of a very solid second line for roughly 7 million. But, I hate to say it, I think the Pens could get more for Malkin.
That said, I would love to see him in a Canucks jersey and wouldn't think twice about trading the Sedins for him. He seems to be the type of player that can elevate the play of those around him (moreso than the Sedins or Naslund), and given a shot might be able to help develop some of our upcoming guys, like raymond, shannon etc. One thing is I am not sure how he would do in an AV system.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

The Pens will not trade Malkin. It's a terrible hockey move and a potential business disaster. Hockey-wise, you cannot get an equal return for Malkin. The trade-off between quality and quantity is so hard to determine that one side always ends up getting fleeced, and it's usually the team that gives up quality. Business-wise, it's terrible because players like Malkin are the ones that bring the fans to the rink. Pittsburgh is a decent hockey market and as such Shero should keep the core of this young talented team together to build a sturdy fanbase.

Marc-Andre Fleury is the odd-man out, and as we've seen so far this year good goalies can pop up out of nowhere (Dan Ellis, Mike Smith, Jonas Hiller).

It's a little ironic that the CBA, which was meant to "level the playing field" is penalizing teams that have too much talent a la the Oilers in the 80s. The Pens have drafted well over the past couple of years and for cap reasons will inevitably lose that talent through trade, free agency, or offer sheets. You have to wonder if all this player movement is good for hockey at all.

Molson Muscle
CC Veteran

Post by Molson Muscle »

The Malkin idea has some merit...however I don't think we're merely 1 or 2 players away here. If we got Malkin for Dan and Hank, who would we play him with?? Nonis is in a tough position because he needs to somehow get a bonafide first line here without giving up the Sedins (with Pyatt, a very decent second line). We could trade a D-Man (god i'd hate to give up Edler or Bieksa but you gotta give to get) but with the very underwhelming crop of UFA's, this isn't going to be easy.
Rehab is for quitters

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

For guys with Malkin's talent, it doesn't matter who plays with him. He manages to make those around him better. Sykora and Malone would not be putting up such big numbers if it weren't for Malkin, and same goes for Crosby and Dupuis.

Dan and Hank make each other better, but not necessarily the rest of the team. That's their biggest weakness as first-liners.

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Molson Muscle wrote:The Malkin idea has some merit...however I don't think we're merely 1 or 2 players away here. If we got Malkin for Dan and Hank, who would we play him with??
Evegny Makin is arguably the top centre in the game (maybe not as talented naturally as Crosby, but he has the size and whatever-it-takes-to-win attitude that Crosby lacks IMO). The Pens would laugh in DN's face if he offered the Sedins for him. I'll tell you this: Roberto Luongo would be the STARTING POINT for the Pens if they were to trade #71 to us.

This year will be an incredible test for Nonis. He has failed to make some moves in the rest past believing this team had what it takes (Turris, Richards, etc.) but apparently that is not the case. The UFA crop is too thin to make any significant upgrades over what we already have (Hossa is the only player out there that I would consider a first liner), so that means that Nonis has to make a trade.

So who's available? No idea. Perhaps he'll make a move for Stamkos. We haven't had a young right handed blue chip forward since Linden. Sure he'll cost a lot, but right now I could care less. Another player that might move is Lecavalier, but again he'll cost a ton and Montreal will be first in the running (and have more to offer) if he ever goes on the block. If the Sharks go out early again I'm sure that Cheechoo will be traded, and considering how terrible he has been (compared to the 05/06 season) he won't cost too much. Marleau might go as well. Unfortunately, any big name players that were on the block at the deadline were moved, or teams chose to retain/asked way more than we can offer.

So where does that leave us? Nowhere. Unless Hossa goes nuts and signs with us there aren't any UFAs that will make a difference, and a trade for an impact player is unlikely to happen.

So what do we have to do? Be patient. We were hit hard by injuries this year. Our defence was a cohesive whole for less than 10 games this season, and the team struggled without the rock that is Brendan Morrison. It is a deep draft this year, and moving into the top 10 picks essentially guarantees us a blue-chip player. That player coupled with a couple top-6 forwards from Free Agency could be enough to push us back into the playoffs. I don't think we were as bad as our record suggests this year, we just had trouble showing up when the chips were down (to mix a metaphor).

Will it be enough to win us a stanley cup? Nope. However, a lot changes in a year. If you'd told me a day after we lost to Anaheim last season that we'd miss the playoffs I'd laugh at you. We had the best goaltender coming off his best ever season and arguably the deepest defence outside of SoCal. Our forwards weren't outstanding, but they weren't terrible either. We were a team that was supposed to win one goal games and play a tight checking defensive style. For whatever reason things didn't go according to plan. Our defence went through the worst stretch of injuries in team history, and Luongo was incapable of repeating his outstanding season, but only because of inconsistency and extreme fatigue coupled with family issues. He'll bounce back, no question. There were some positives to this year as well. Raymond and Edler emerged as the best prospects this team has had since the Sedins, and Bourdon improved mightily over the disaster that was last season for him. Kesler and Burrows found incredible chemistry and are quickly emerging as one of the best shutdown pairs in the league, and with them signed for cheap for at least another year they'll continue to be a steal.

So in short, is this the end of the world? No. We shit the bed this year, no question. We weren't good when we had to be, and we somehow turned the best season in franchise history into one of the worst. However, we have a bright future and the best goaltender in the game for another couple years. Add that to a team with a chip on their shoulders now and a reason to prove their critics wrong we'll make it back to the big show again next year. Who knows, this make be a blessing in disguise. Another early playoff exit and there would have been few calls for massive change. Sometimes you need adversity to improve, and we've got a heaping helping of one, so let's see if we can turn it into the other. And after all, what's one more year of waiting?

Wow that was a long post. I didn't intend for it to be anywhere near as long as it was. It was initially meant to just be a reply to MM's Malkin comment. I guess I just needed to vent. Living in Toronto makes it difficult to talk Canucks hockey reasonably. I count my lucky stars that Toronto didn't make it either this year, or I wouldn't have heard the end of it. On a side note for the brief period of time I was in Vancouver this year (December and a couple weeks in February) the Canucks played their best hockey. In fact, I attended 4 games this year and the Canucks were 4-0-0 with 2 shutouts. Perhaps Aquillini needs to fly me home for every game next year. :P

Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Assuming Naslund and Linden gone.. Maybe trade off Bieksa . gives us enough cap room to obtain 2 tough wingers ( say Shanahan and Rolston )... add Mo.. gives Canucks a decent scoring tough first line.. Sedins with ? or Pyatt are without doubt one of the best second lines in the business.. Kesler, Burrows, Pettinger .. good to great checking line.. add a kid line .. Raymond, Rypien and Shannon... spare parts ? Isbister, Richie ( if we can't trade him )... D would be improved by dropping Bieksa.. adding a 1 mill dman ( Miller or Weaver ) Luc with Mitchell.. Salo and Edler.. Ohlund and Krajicek .. Lou + new back up ( Auldie available? ) ... Should be a contender :)
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I'll probably get flamed for this (and perhaps rightly so......since most of my ideas are quite retarded :P), but I'll go ahead and say it.

BLOW this team up. KABOOOOM!!!!

-Veenyo gets replaced with Pat Quinn
-Luongo gets traded for a BOATLOAD of prospects, draft picks, etc. (an absolute raping of someone's farm ;)). Philadelphia might be a good place for instance.
-Sedin twins also get traded for prospects, draft picks, etc.
-Naslund, Morrison, etc. are GONZO
-Canucks, along with Anaheim and Minnesota, now have the DEEPEST pool of prospects in the league.
-Canucks, with TONS of freed up cap space, go on a "shopping spree" this summer.

I am of the opinion that this team needs to be GUTTED. Nonis may have a thousand faults, but one thing he's actually done a good job on, is building a good pool of prospects. Let's AMPLIFY that. Trade Luongo and the twins, build the deepest farm in the NHL, and use the freed up cap space to START OVER.

Fire Veenyo and hire Quinn. With Pat Quinn and the helm, some offensive stars such as Marian Hossa might be encouraged to sign here (as opposed to a guy like Veenyo that can only effectively coach a defensive system).

Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

Fire Alain V. His style of hockey might fly in the states but in Canada we know this is not how hockey was meant to be played.

Sign Naslund at about 4.5 , leave the "C" on his chest were it belongs. D.Nonis has to grow a set ala B.Burke and come out in support of his captian and tell the local media to go pound sand.

Go out and get a Canadian power forward to play with Naslund and Morrison.
Go out and get a fiesty player of Dustin Brown or Kris Kunitz's ilk to play with the Sedins AND ONLY THE SEDINS ALL SEASON LONG.

Go after a Chris Simon type player or two to make our fourth line a legitimate fourth line. Use this line to discourage the other teams from slaming our fragile D like Salo and Ohlund in the end boards 5 times a game. Use this line aswell as encourage the D- men to come in from the blueline to hammer anyone that F's with the Sedins. So bloody what iif the odd face off comes out over the line! Show some bloody balls for crying out loud!

Hopefully a skilled player on the farm is ready to come up and playwith Keseler and Burrows. This would turn the third line into more of a scoring threat and still be a decent " checking line".

Trade Willie and his "good stick" for parts to fit on the first two lines. Encourage Bieksa to play Bieksa like hockeyand not try to rein him in. The same for Bourdon, this guy is a diamond in the rough who A.V is turning into another Mitchell.
Don Cherry for P.M.

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Joe Rockhead wrote:Sign Naslund at about 4.5 , leave the "C" on his chest were it belongs. D.Nonis has to grow a set ala B.Burke and come out in support of his captian and tell the local media to go pound sand.

You can't keep Naslund, his heart just isn't in it anymore. He should go back to Sweden and play for Modo.

DN doesn't have to come out in support of his captain, if DN wanted him around he would of already signed him.

Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Mikodat wrote:... gives us enough cap room to obtain 2 tough wingers ( say Shanahan and Rolston )...
No, no, no.
You want to rebuild with a guy who's 39 and another who's 35? Take a look around, it's a young man's game these days. That's what the Canucks need, that's what they don't have nearly enough of. Young guys who can play. That's where it's at. Go out and get guys with potential. I'll sacrifice a two-year retooling period of losing results to get guys in here who will amount to something. The 6 of one, half-dozen-of-another approach we've seen here doesn't work. It's like betting $20 on black and $15 on red. Hedging your bets. Doesn't work. Identify young players you like and go out and get them. And tell the fans "we're going young, this will take a little time, we'll be better in the long run, that's the way we're going to do this".
Otherwise, the treadmill the Canucks are on (in the playoffs one year, out the next, and essentially building nothing) is sure to continue. I want someone here who has the cajones to get young guys with potential.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Sid Dithers wrote:tell the fans "we're going young, this will take a little time, we'll be better in the long run, that's the way we're going to do this".
... and extend Luongo's contract.

I think most of us felt that if we were going to win a Cup this decade, it would be with Roberto in net. If we go into rebuilding mode, we'll be capable by the time Luongo's gone - and we could be back to where were in the WCE-Cloutier days. I don't want to go through that again.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: What do you want done in the off season?

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Kesler's #1 Fan wrote:I would like to see less swedes and more gritty North American players like Bordon, Kesler, Burrows no more swedes they fold up like lawn chairs.

And after that a coaching change might be a good idea in Vancouver IMO.

Thoughts???
The Swedes are the reigning gold medalists in the Winter Olympics.

Your generalities and simpleness are comical.

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

a) Luongo has an NTC
b) Anyone who is legitimately pondering moving THE ONE PLAYER THIS TEAM HAS LACKED IN IT'S ENTIRE HISTORY, they need their head checked. How quick we are to forget last season, and even earlier in the season when he had 3 straight shutouts and his S% was .930+. No wonder he'd want to leave. He goes from being the media darling to a scapegoat in less than 3 month's time. Stop being so reactionary people. If Nonis EVER trades Luongo I will burn down GM place, preferably with him in it. Sure he wasn't great down the stretch, but I challenge you to find one player who was.

That is all that needs to be said. Get this idiotic notion of trading a FRANCHISE NETMINDER IN HIS PRIME out of your heads right now. How long did we whine that we didn't have the goaltending to win the cup? And now that we have it, it's not enough? Give your heads a shake people.