Was this season...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

This season was...

A huge disappointment.
32%
what we should have expected with the talent we have.
29%
an overacheivement based on the team assembled.
4%
a year of the Canucks wasting Luongo.
25%
just a rebuilding year.
No votes
the end of an era.
11%
proof that it can only get better next year.
No votes

Total votes: 28

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Was this season...

Post by Cornuck »

How do you honestly feel this season went?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

IMO, without Luongo, this is an average team that should have been fighting to get into the playoffs.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

To be honest, all of it.....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

a year of the Canucks wasting Luongo.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Hmmm...I'd have to say it was a few of those choices.

1) A huge disappointment. They backed their way out of the playoffs in spectacular fashion.

2) What we should have expected. When you can't score what do you expect?

3) A waste of Luongo. Any year without a deep run will be a waste of his talent.

4) Proof it can only get better. It was proof. Right? Please tell me it will only get better. I have to believe that.

Signed dissalusioned in Canuckville. :(
R.I.P. Luc.
Farhan Lalji

Re: Was this season...

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Cornuck wrote:How do you honestly feel this season went?
Honestly - I think this season proved what I suspected last season (after our loss to Anaheim).

The Sedin's', as great as they are talent wise, CANNOT carry this team (let alone elevate their play) when the team needs them the most. YES - The twins will get their points, etc., and may look decent 'stat wise' but other than that, they are INVISIBLE (for the most part) come crunch time. Basically - the twins are what Naslund was 3-4 years ago.

In my opinion - this team should be gutted; plain and simple. The Sedin's should be traded, while Naslund and Morrison should NOT be resigned.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote:IMO, without Luongo, this is an average team that should have been fighting to get into the playoffs.
It's a well below average team without Roberto.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Anyone else catch Luongo after the game? He was very emotional, defensive when asked if he was disapointed with the team in front of him, but the thing that caught my attention the most was a comment he made about his mental state. He made a comment about how this season was one of his most trying mentally, for allot of reasons, and "not the ones you guys are thinking of" but didn't elaborate. I wonder what he was talking about? struggles in the locker room? How was this season more trying then any of his seasons in Florida? would really like to know what really goes on behind closed doors...

Edit: Heard the replay on the radio, aside from the quote above I caught:

"allot of stuff going on this year, but you've got to battle through that as a professional athlete"

"Are you kidding or what? thats a bad question, the guys laid it on the line..."

"Why would anyone think I'm not happy here? thats pure speculation..."
clearwatercanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by clearwatercanuck »

I really think that Naslund should retire. I think that Alain V should be canned and replaced by Trevor Linden behind the bench. Dave N should be replaced with Kirk McLean.
Cowan, Isbister, Ritchie should be released. Money should be spent on proven scorers, like shanahan, Holstrom,.......And Luongo shouldn't play so many games.
ANyhow it's over now, SOME big changes will happen for sure, you could almost bet on it.
lifer
CC Veteran

Post by lifer »

07/08 was a record year for number of Swedes on the roster?
Hockey_roo
CC Veteran

Post by Hockey_roo »

Huge disappointment....

The way the team carried themselves for the past month was the reason. Missing the playoffs the way this team did was really shocking after last season. They beat themselves, pure and simple. Giving up 2 goal leads, playing with little heart and determination, coaching not at all responding to a players who are not getting the job done.
Changes are required....
Why does Lu have to play 90% of the games to stay hot?
Why is the captain not benched for his apparent lack of effort ?
Why is Linden not given more 'quality' ice time to show what he can do?

Yes, I will wear my 'Nucks shirt again tommorow but man am i gutted about the loss today ...
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

No way will Nonis get rid of AV. I'm not thrilled about that, but you've got to trust that DN knows what he's doing (and the injuries didn't help). If the team starts slowly next year, AV will be gone. If they start well, then suck at the end, AV will be gone.

Don't know about Naslund. I still think he can contribute, but for as long as he's here, Naslund has to be captain. It doesn't seem like that's appropriate any more (though I have otherwise). I suspect you need to let him go.

Linden will probably retire. It's no fun sitting on the bench and life won't be different under AV (and AV isn't going anywhere). Maybe he'll get into coaching or something. Good luck Trev.

Keep our youngsters who play hard. Bieksa, Edler, Burrows (never thought I would say that), etc. Kesler captain? Bring up Mike Brown. Trade none of them.

Force Loungo to play less. Get a goon to protect him. No way he's responsible for this early exit.

Bye bye Ritchie & Cowan. Isbister?

Bmo: re-sign, at much much less.

Last but not least: The Twins >> good luck in your next city. It's been fun, but I don't think you have it when it counts.

ALL of that depends upon what DN can get this summer. He can't do worse with Cowan. The twins are a bit more tricky. My patience is gone, but you don't want to trade them for a bag of hockey pucks, and they can still contribute.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Major changes are in order, will the axe come down on AV or DN? Something major has to change as this is a total joke.

No intensity until the last 5 minutes, WHY?

AV says he is disappointed after the game, show some emotion and at least pretend you care that you lost the room and disappointed every Canuck fan.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Naslund sounded like he does in every situation.

when he wins hes monotone
when he loses hes monotone
when the season is over hes monotone

he must be a very good poker player or he just doesnt give a shite
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Disappointing but pretty much what we should have expected with the talent assembled ...

... Luongo didn't play outstanding in each and every game he played but he certainly did play well and steal some games for us ... IMO if it weren't for him we would have been even worse.

Grizz