The Fat Lady is warming Up!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: The Fat Lady is warming Up!

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote:The few posters who entertain the notion that Canucks missing the P/Os is good for the Canuck Cause...

Well let's just call them 'misguided'.
Can I say the posters that think making the playoffs and doing the same thing next season with the same core is REALLY misguided?

You have heard the definition of insanity?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Does anyone remember the last Swedish star forward we had on this team?

I was a big fan of his. His decline was tragic, but the team did benefit from the fact that his last contract expired when he was 35 years old and he chose to move on in an attempt to get a fresh start elsewhere.

It sucks that nobody in our organization learns from our own history.

Everyone here says that letting the Sedins go is a mistake because we couldn't replace them via free agency. I am almost certain we could replace 0 goals in 20+ games in the free agent pool.....hell Daniel doesn't even have a single point in his last 11 games!

Our star goal scoring winger is on pace for 53 points in 82 games this season.

Our top center is on pace for 54 points in 74 games this season.

You really think that kind of production can't be replaced via free agency?

If you include Burrows our top line will be making $18M next year, you could probably get a line of Moulson-Stastny-Vanek for $20M and get more production.....oh and get this, all of those guys are at least 3 years younger than the Sedins.

The Toronto Maple Laughs have 16 goals from a $1M free agent cast off that they signed to a PTO in September. We have a combined 22 goals from a pair of players we are about to spend $14M on.

But no. You can't replace guys like the Sedins in free agency. :lol:
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Oh Mëds..

We all better hope to whatever hockey god we all personally pray to that the Sedins aren't on a permanently decline ala Markus Naslund.

And your post smacks of a "I told you so" tone. Are you turning into a mini-RD where your schadenfreud is now being derived from "possibly" being right about the Sedins as they continue to crap the bed this season?

So what if the Sedins turn it around next season and start playing like they can play. What will you be saying at that point of time?

I honestly don't get the point of your post. Are you saying that we should have NOT resigned the Sedins and just let them walk into free agency this off season?
Mëds wrote:
I might not be huge fans of the Sedins, but I do agree 100% with ya Blob when you say that replacing them via free agency next summer would be a step down......probably several.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

mathonwy wrote:Oh Mëds..

We all better hope to whatever hockey god we all personally pray to that the Sedins aren't on a permanently decline ala Markus Naslund.

And your post smacks of a "I told you so" tone. Are you turning into a mini-RD where your schadenfreud is now being derived from "possibly" being right about the Sedins as they continue to crap the bed this season?

So what if the Sedins turn it around next season and start playing like they can play. What will you be saying at that point of time?

I honestly don't get the point of your post. Are you saying that we should have NOT resigned the Sedins and just let them walk into free agency this off season?
Mëds wrote:
I might not be huge fans of the Sedins, but I do agree 100% with ya Blob when you say that replacing them via free agency next summer would be a step down......probably several.
I don't deny that I was one of the people who, at the time, did not think we could replace the Sedins production via free agency. I'm calling myself out as much as anyone else I suppose. I don't think any of us saw them declining this sharply. But I am saying that I do think this is the start of their decline. Going back to the old boards I've been back and forth on the Sedins. Truth be told I've never been huge fans of them. I've always felt that their success as a pair has often hinged somewhat significantly on whoever their other linemate is. They were decent with Klatt off and on. Then King off and on for a year. Then Carter for a season. Then Burrows. Burrows is mired in a bad year, injuries, no puck luck, maybe he's declining now too. At least with Bur I don't see his struggles stemming from him being afraid to shoot the puck or over-thinking a play. Burrows is still effective in other roles. Is he overpaid? Yes. But I do think that as much as people say that Kesler has been the engine that drives the team when he is going, Burrows is the engine that drives our top line.....and when he's not going neither are the Sedins.

I have always maintained that the Sedins perimeter cycle game generated a lot of phantom offense. Going back to the old site I didn't think they would turn into the players we saw for a few seasons between 2006 and 2012. I have always felt that they didn't have the chops to make it in the NHL as elite forwards when they have to fight their way to the net. I have always considered them to be good but slow skaters, and that that would be a hindrance to their game as they got older.

I also thought that the deal they got this year was alright at the time. I have changed my mind on that. It is an overpayment in a business where results speak louder than loyalty.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote: But no. You can't replace guys like the Sedins in free agency. :lol:
Mëds wrote: I don't deny that I was one of the people who, at the time, did not think we could replace the Sedins production via free agency. I'm calling myself out as much as anyone else I suppose.
Ok, just as long as we're all clear that your loling in your original post includes loling at yourself.

Self deprecating humour is the best type Mëds! :thumbs:
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Mëds wrote:I also thought that the deal they got this year was alright at the time. I have changed my mind on that
I'd wait to see what UFAs get this offseason before making this judgement. There will be an excess of cap space and very limited supply of quality UFAs. I think the twins may look like a steal... Especially once the TV deal kicks in and the cap really goes up. It doesn't sound like a $100m cap is out of the question in the relatively near future. (Pending what happens to the Canadian dollar I suppose.)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: I've always felt that their success as a pair has often hinged somewhat significantly on whoever their other linemate is.
Right they are NOTHING without the likes of Klatt, King, Carter, and Burrows! :lol:
Mëds wrote: I have always felt that they didn't have the chops to make it in the NHL as elite forwards
"always"??

So all those years they were indisputably elite forwards, you didn't believe they were elite forwards? :eh:
Mëds wrote: I also thought that the deal they got this year was alright at the time. I have changed my mind on that.
Well Burrows is having a horrible year and the twins are NOTHING without him right? :wink:

Saaay, what's Jason King doing these days? :mrgreen:

If the twins continue to suck the way they have of late, they'll do the honourable thing and retire.

But chances are they'll return to their play of....... TWO FUCKING MONTHS AGO!!! :crazy:

See, for the first half of this season (41 gms) they were each on a 70-point pace

... and two months later certain "Canuck fans" are sticking (pitch)forks in them.

There is obviously something going on behind the scenes, whatever it is, they'll straighten it out.

Try to relax.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:The few posters who entertain the notion that Canucks missing the P/Os is good for the Canuck Cause...

Can I say the posters that think making the playoffs and doing the same thing next season with the same core is REALLY misguided?

Please list all the posters who have suggested that, I'll wait.

Yeah that's what I thought. :roll:

Here's another definition of insanity:

"Cheering for the team you are a "fan" of...... to lose." Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

LA LA LA LA LA, LAAAAAAAA LALALALA

Don't mind me, just warming up.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:

And yet another definition of insanity.....

"Cheering for the team you are a 'fan' of...... to spin its wheels in perpetual mediocrity until the are the NHL's next version of the Edmonton Oilers or Caglary Flames."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
Mëds wrote: I have always felt that they didn't have the chops to make it in the NHL as elite forwards
"always"??

So all those years they were indisputably elite forwards, you didn't believe they were elite forwards? :eh:
Ah, Doc, you're the king of cherry picking. Since you chose not to quote my entire thought there I'll reiterate it for you in its entirety.....
Mëds wrote: I have always felt that they didn't have the chops to make it in the NHL as elite forwards when they have to fight their way to the net.
So ummm......."all" those years that they were indisputably elite forwards......and just to be clear you mean all 5 of those years? For arguments sake I'm gonna say that an "elite" NHL first line offensive player puts up 1ppg. So 5 years for Henrik, and 4 years for Daniel. And when was that again? One second, I'll go look.....oh yeah from 2006-2011 for Daniel, and 2012 for Henrik. Why, I do believe those were the years after the 2004 lockout when the ice opened up and obstruction was called left right and center. Since the return of the dead-puck version of hockey the Sedins have regressed to being, at best, serviceable first line forwards, and now at worst paltry second line producers. So you see dear doctor I chose my words carefully, I said they didn't have the chops to make it as elite forwards, I didn't say they weren't good at one point or no longer had the capability to be decent players, just not elite.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Please list all the posters who have suggested that, I'll wait.

And yet another definition of insanity.....

"Cheering for the team you are a 'fan' of...... to spin its wheels in perpetual mediocrity until the are the NHL's next version of the Edmonton Oilers or Caglary Flames."

Yup, it’s déjà vu all over again…
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote:

Yup, it’s déjà vu all over again…
Do we need to explain to you about the why we want the team to lose? it is not because we want them to do bad it is because it will take away the excuse MG and crew would give if they went out in the first round again.

For someone who thinks so highly of himself and constantly pats himself on the back I thought you were smarter than this? But I guess not.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: For arguments sake I'm gonna say that an "elite" NHL first line offensive player puts up 1ppg. So 5 years for Henrik, and 4 years for Daniel. And when was that again? One second, I'll go look.....oh yeah from 2006-2011 for Daniel, and 2012 for Henrik. Why, I do believe those were the years after the 2004 lockout when the ice opened up and obstruction was called left right and center.
For arguments sake I'm going to say an "elite" NHL forward scores at a 70-point pace.

Umm yeah, that was the Sedins up until... TWO FUCKING MONTHS AGO!!! :crazy:

Or did the league lighten up on the obstruction calls for the first 3 months of this season. :roll:

Please choose your words more carefully.

And sorry, but…

“their success as a pair has often hinged somewhat significantly on whoever their other linemate is”

… is a stupid stupid stupid thing to say.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Do we need to explain to you about the why we want the team to lose?
I think we all understand what you are trying to pass off as logic.

There is NO EXCUSE for a "fan" to hope his team misses the playoffs.
____
Try to focus on someday.