NONIS ON TEAM 1040 - TRADES IMMINENT! (Feb 08)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Postby Farhan Lalji » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:35 pm

levelheaded wrote:
Furthermore, Burrows is a key component to our PK. I still think it was a serious mistake letting Green go last year, and if we let Burrows walk in a season or two we'll face a similar decrease in our PK percentage. .


Good point about Josh Green. Green may have been a 'nobody" for the most part, but the guy was a very good penalty killer. In other words, he served a purpose on this team.

If the wheel ain't broke, why fix it? Last year - the Canucks had the #1 PK in the league. Why CHANGE what is working for you?
Farhan Lalji
 

Postby Grizzly » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:00 pm

Farhan Lalji wrote:
levelheaded wrote:
Furthermore, Burrows is a key component to our PK. I still think it was a serious mistake letting Green go last year, and if we let Burrows walk in a season or two we'll face a similar decrease in our PK percentage. .


Good point about Josh Green. Green may have been a 'nobody" for the most part, but the guy was a very good penalty killer. In other words, he served a purpose on this team.

If the wheel ain't broke, why fix it? Last year - the Canucks had the #1 PK in the league. Why CHANGE what is working for you?


I believe Green did serve a role on our team last year too but I also find we have alot of similar type players right now on the roster that serve the same purpose and have pretty much the same offensive output. ie Cooke, Cowan, Burrows, Ritchie ... pesky role players ... questions are how many do we need ? and what are they really worth ? ... seems to me there are a dime a dozen around .... Management just had to make the decision which ones to keep ...

Bottom line as far as I am concerned is that they don't command alot of value on the market unless there is some offensive potential and upside ... thats why Kesler is a keeper and is very attractive to teams because he is young, he has the work ethic and he also has some offensive upside.

With some of the young guys like Raymond and Shannon also coming up showing offensive potential it does make guys lie Burrows and especially Cooke even more expendable .... I wouldn't necessarily say go out and trade Burrows at this point but I wouldn't say either that if the right deal came up we say "no... sorry he is untouchable ...."

My obseravations anyways ... good conversation and points by all here ...

Grizz
User avatar
Grizzly
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:35 am
Location: Dawson Creek

Postby levelheaded » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:58 pm

Grizzly wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:
levelheaded wrote:
Furthermore, Burrows is a key component to our PK. I still think it was a serious mistake letting Green go last year, and if we let Burrows walk in a season or two we'll face a similar decrease in our PK percentage. .


Good point about Josh Green. Green may have been a 'nobody" for the most part, but the guy was a very good penalty killer. In other words, he served a purpose on this team.

If the wheel ain't broke, why fix it? Last year - the Canucks had the #1 PK in the league. Why CHANGE what is working for you?


I believe Green did serve a role on our team last year too but I also find we have alot of similar type players right now on the roster that serve the same purpose and have pretty much the same offensive output. ie Cooke, Cowan, Burrows, Ritchie ... pesky role players ... questions are how many do we need ? and what are they really worth ? ... seems to me there are a dime a dozen around .... Management just had to make the decision which ones to keep ...


The thing about Green is he was purely defensive. He made no attempt to be an agitator or score, and I think he was more effective than Cooke or Cowan is right now. He was so good on our pk because he didn't get out of position to make a hit or try anything fancy. I'd much prefer Josh Green for 500k than Jeff Cowan for 700k or Byron Ritchie for 600k. He was a simple but effective player, and extremely underrated. Mirtle had a statistical analysis of Penalty Killers last year and he came out as #1. He is sorely missed IMO.
User avatar
levelheaded
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Toronto, but heart's in Vancouver

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:42 pm

Burrows...untouchable? Gimme a break. Effective, sure. Core player? Nope. He's a moderately talented checker and a supremely talented agitator. I'd trade him for a 2nd round pick.

If these Brad Richards rumours are true, I make that deal. He's not a rental, although his contract is huge, it's not what you wouldn't expect to pay a Hossa or Sundin anyways so...that's a wash in my book. This creates kind of a logjam at center, but I have a feeling Kesler will be a part of that deal, and so be it. This team desperately needs some offensive help and Brad Richards is a shot in the arm that could add that dimension and take some pressure (and oposing defenders) away from the Swedes. Did I mention he can be a playoff freak?

If we can't get Richards, I think we make a deal for a secondary rental player. There is NO point trading guys like Edler, Bourdon, Kesler or Schneider for someone who will probably bolt in the offseason. It's just too much of a risk.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Postby Farhan Lalji » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:18 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:Burrows...untouchable? Gimme a break. Effective, sure. Core player? Nope. He's a moderately talented checker and a supremely talented agitator. I'd trade him for a 2nd round pick.

.


LOL - yeah my "Burrows/Untouchable" comment has raised quite a few eyebrows on here. :lol:

I don't mind explaining my (bizzare?) love Burrows.

-For me personally, Burrows is the type of guy that EVERY team needs. He has heart. The other night when Rolston was rough with Mitchell (who had just returned), Burrows responded....he went after Rolston.

-Penalty kill: Burrows is a very good penalty killer.

-Hustle: Burrows, for the most part, shows great hustle each and every night.

-Hidden scoring talent? I truly believe that Burrows has a LOT more scoring talent than people give him credit for. Look at some of the goals that the guy has scored. It takes a LOT of talent to score some of the goals that he has scored. I think Burrows is a potential "diamond in the rough" and might be the type of guy that will score some "clutch" goals for us down the stretch. I'd be interested to see if Burrows can have a "break out" season one of these days (similar to what Martin Gelinas had in 1997).

Burrows has surprisingly 'soft hands'.

So for those reasons, I would try and do whatever I could do hold on to Burrows for the next few seasons.

I think Blob McKenzie said it best though - If Burrows, by the age of 30, is heading down the path of Matt Cooke....then yes, get rid of the guy.

For now though - I'm interested to see if Burrows can maximize his potential (and in my opinion, there's something DEFINITELY there).
Farhan Lalji
 

Postby Grizzly » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:31 pm

I would just say then ... look at Kesler last nite ... he is really starting to drive his value up because he can do all the things Burrows does plus score ...

His "big contract" now is really starting to look like a pretty fair deal for us.... only going to get better too as far as I am concerned. To me Cooke is kinda the odd man out now ... can't really see him getting any better and there are more younger guys coming up that can contribute more.

Grizz
User avatar
Grizzly
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:35 am
Location: Dawson Creek

Postby Farhan Lalji » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:41 pm

Grizzly wrote:I would just say then ... look at Kesler last nite ... he is really starting to drive his value up because he can do all the things Burrows does plus score ...



I guess my whole point is why not try and find a way to keep Kesler AND Burrows? (while still getting better as a whole, by trading away prospect(s) and a high end pick).

For the amount Burrows gets paid (relative to what he brings to the table.....and what I think his potential is), I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him....unless ofcourse, you were getting an UPGRADE on Burrows.....a player of which brings everything Burrows brings, but more (so in other words, trading Burrows, a prospect, and a high draft pick for another left/right winger that could kill penalties, score timely goals, and has heart, etc).

I'm a FIRM believer in the idea that trades shouldn't be made for the sake of making trades. It's never a good idea to deplete on asset, while strengthening another (and so if Burrows were to be traded, we had better get a guy that can be equally effective on the PK, etc.).
Farhan Lalji
 

Postby Grizzly » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:34 pm

I think I agree with you in part Farhan ... I agree we should try and keep both Burrows and Kesler ...

Kesler to me though would be untouchable ... Burrows I would trade if the right deal came up ... Cooke .... as much as I like ... is expendable.

Grizz
User avatar
Grizzly
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:35 am
Location: Dawson Creek

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:00 pm

I think Blob McKenzie said it best though - If Burrows, by the age of 30, is heading down the path of Matt Cooke....then yes, get rid of the guy. [/quote]

I guarantee that's not what I said. 8-)
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3017
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re:

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Burrows is about as untouchable as a dirty diaper. He has a use and once he's full of urine or fecies you throw him out.


I might liketa have that comment back ........ :scowl:
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3017
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Re:

Postby LotusBlossom » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Burrows is about as untouchable as a dirty diaper. He has a use and once he's full of urine or fecies you throw him out.


I might liketa have that comment back ........ :scowl:


:lol:
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
User avatar
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 2448
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: Metro Vancouver

Re: Re:

Postby sagebrush » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:19 am

Burrows is about as untouchable as a dirty diaper. He has a use and once he's full of urine or fecies you throw him out.

Re-thinking that colour commentating career?
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 765
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: NONIS ON TEAM 1040 - TRADES IMMINENT!

Postby Topper » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:30 am

Not very tasty words to eat.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4608
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re:

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:26 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Burrows is about as untouchable as a dirty diaper. He has a use and once he's full of urine or fecies you throw him out.



I'm fairly certain he's full.... of both urine and feces
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3017
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Previous

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], hist and 4 guests