When it comes to TREVOR LINDEN...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

randymeeks wrote:Come on guys. Do you honestly think that this team would have won more games over these past few losses if Linden were in the line-up? Outside of (maybe) today's shootout loss to the Panthers, where it may have been handy to have him in the shootout, I don't see how he would have been a factor to the point where any of these losses would have changed to wins.
Trevor Linden Time on ice 11.6 minutes a game .....+2 ...7 pts...38 games
Byron Ritchie Time on ice 12.4 minutes a game..... -11 ....8 pts....51 games

I'm not saying that Trevor is the 'winning' answer.....I think that Ritchie is a waste of time....he does nothing.....
remember that good hit, great fight, nice goal, good pass....I don't either....does AV not see it or am I missing some 'intangable" ..........throw me a bone here
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

No bone to throw Soapy ... I agree with you ... mind you I have been watching Linden as one of my favourite players since they drafted him ...

Grizz
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Pretty sure somewhere in these forums i said Ritchie is useless. i still stand by my opinion.

Same goes for Cowan and i would've loved Shelley in the blue and green.
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

I like Ritchie's work ethic but I don't know what his skill set actually is.

I'd like to see Linden out there but only if he is going to take matters into his own hands, stop being a nice guy, finish his checks and show some grit and determination on offence.
Enough with the careful positioning already.

I want to see this team display some passion

...make that LOTS of passion...

...enough passion to win, despite the odds.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Gotta add to the pile, I just don't get it. Linden has been much better in many ways to a few of the guys playing ahead of him. Not only Richie but Cowan and Isbister as well. I understand they bring toughness but Linden brings a mental toughness. His on-ice smarts show when he's used, he is a very smart player. I'd love to see him get some more min, perhaps even a stint on the 2nd line/PP? Why not, with our injuries lets give it a shot.

I know this is crazy, but I've always thought Linden would be an alright fit for the Sedins, perhaps as a powerplay unit? I'm not saying toss him to the top line, but he's a big bodied right handed shot who's got the smarts to know where the puck is going to go. 8 years ago he would've been perfect, but I think even today, in a limited role, maybe as a PP option that they could have some success. Of course this could all be my Linden homerism :roll:
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

I don't want to start second guessing AV too much. There's a reason he's behind the bench and I watch from the couch. But...this is such a no brainer. Forget all the sentiment, Linden has proven with his play this season that he's more valuable than Cowan, Isbister, Brown etc.

I understand rotating him in and out to keep him fresh and give the others ice time to keep sharp as well but this is getting silly. It's starting to remind me of the way Crawford handled his backup goalies.
R.I.P. Luc.
Bill Laforge
CC Rookie

Post by Bill Laforge »

AV is certainly not the only coach in the past decade who has had a problem with Linden. He is soft, won't stick up for teammates, had poor hands and is getting slower every day. He wouldn't even be on any other NHL team so why are you surprised he is not playing much. It is sad that he is the face of this franchise to so many people when you consider all of the great players of his era. I feel that I deserve more as a Canuck fan and am so happy that this is his last season so we can build towards a more successful future. I hope the next popular Canuck is a moe complete player who accomplishes more than Linden, a player who has been inconsequential in the past 11 years. Now that he has stopped scoring in shootouts, what is he good for?
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

feel that I deserve more as a Canuck fan and am so happy that this is his last season
I hope is back for another season.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
feel that I deserve more as a Canuck fan and am so happy that this is his last season
I hope is back for another season.
I hope for one more season as long as he gets more ice time and better treatment than he has so far in this one.
R.I.P. Luc.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Bill Laforge wrote:AV is certainly not the only coach in the past decade who has had a problem with Linden. He is soft, won't stick up for teammates, had poor hands and is getting slower every day. He wouldn't even be on any other NHL team so why are you surprised he is not playing much. It is sad that he is the face of this franchise to so many people when you consider all of the great players of his era. I feel that I deserve more as a Canuck fan and am so happy that this is his last season so we can build towards a more successful future. I hope the next popular Canuck is a moe complete player who accomplishes more than Linden, a player who has been inconsequential in the past 11 years. Now that he has stopped scoring in shootouts, what is he good for?
Bill, you're entitled to your own opinion but your post is as impressive as your namesake's NHL coaching record.

Everyone can see Linden's NHL playing career is coming to a close, even Stevie Wonder can see that. Where you get this idea that Linden is soft and won't stick up for his teammates, well you haven't seen him play throughout his career if you think he's soft and he never was supposed to be an enforcer. What we are discussing here is whether Linden can contribute to the Canucks. Based on his ice time and production to other players that Vigneault has favoured over Linden, the answer for many of us is yes, he can contribute. Can you honestly say, based on stats that Jeff Cowan and Byron Ritchie are better players and have contributed more? Isbuster has similar stats to Linden this season but he has nowhere near the big game experience and leadership that Linden has. Who came through big time in game 7 against Dallas in last Spring's playoffs? Linden, of course. Who would you prefer on the ice when the Canucks are down a goal late in the 3rd period, Cowan and Ritchie or Linden? With a team that has trouble scoring, Vigneault needs to squeeze as much offence from this team as possible and giving preferential treatment to a Ritchie over a Linden will get Vigneault fired from his job if he continues to ignore possible offensive solutions.
As for other coaches you claim Linden has had problems with, Mike Keenan is not an NHL coach, he's an idiot.
Bill Laforge
CC Rookie

Post by Bill Laforge »

mr perfect wrote:
Bill Laforge wrote:AV is certainly not the only coach in the past decade who has had a problem with Linden. He is soft, won't stick up for teammates, had poor hands and is getting slower every day. He wouldn't even be on any other NHL team so why are you surprised he is not playing much. It is sad that he is the face of this franchise to so many people when you consider all of the great players of his era. I feel that I deserve more as a Canuck fan and am so happy that this is his last season so we can build towards a more successful future. I hope the next popular Canuck is a moe complete player who accomplishes more than Linden, a player who has been inconsequential in the past 11 years. Now that he has stopped scoring in shootouts, what is he good for?
Bill, you're entitled to your own opinion but your post is as impressive as your namesake's NHL coaching record.

Everyone can see Linden's NHL playing career is coming to a close, even Stevie Wonder can see that. Where you get this idea that Linden is soft and won't stick up for his teammates, well you haven't seen him play throughout his career if you think he's soft and he never was supposed to be an enforcer. What we are discussing here is whether Linden can contribute to the Canucks. Based on his ice time and production to other players that Vigneault has favoured over Linden, the answer for many of us is yes, he can contribute. Can you honestly say, based on stats that Jeff Cowan and Byron Ritchie are better players and have contributed more? Isbuster has similar stats to Linden this season but he has nowhere near the big game experience and leadership that Linden has. Who came through big time in game 7 against Dallas in last Spring's playoffs? Linden, of course. Who would you prefer on the ice when the Canucks are down a goal late in the 3rd period, Cowan and Ritchie or Linden? With a team that has trouble scoring, Vigneault needs to squeeze as much offence from this team as possible and giving preferential treatment to a Ritchie over a Linden will get Vigneault fired from his job if he continues to ignore possible offensive solutions.
As for other coaches you claim Linden has had problems with, Mike Keenan is not an NHL coach, he's an idiot.
You too are entitled to your opinion but clearly you are living in the past. Ron Wilson in Washington had no use fro Trev, Crawford had to deal with him but did not share your love of him and in Long Island and Montreal the coaches there, Milbury and AV also didn't see his greatness. Keenan is an NHL coach who will be in the HOF for sure and tougher, less fragile players like Iginla, Messier, Roenick, Kovalev, Leetch, Tocchet and many more thrive under his style. Keenan challenged Trev and he folded like a cheap tent and sulked his way out of town. Trev had his first decent playoffs in a decade but sadly had to take up space on the PP to produce. The PP sucked by the way, good for Trev to be on it but bad for the team. He has 5 playoff goals in his last 45 playoff games spanning 11 years. Wow, pretty impressive huh? Sorry to debunk your closely held Linden myths but you forced me to. I would like Ritchie on the ice late in the game ahead of Trev, he is younger, faster and is tougher and worls harder, Trev should have packed it in last year and no other NHL team would want him on their roster so why is he on ours. He has plenty of chance to prove himself this year but seems cntent to rest on his laurels, and why wouldn't he with fans like you will love him no matter how lazy he is.. As a Canuck fan I feel very ripped off that a player like him defines our franchise. He is a nice guy who is good with the fans and media but he is not a great player. What would his legacy be without the arrival of Bure? One can only imagine but it wouldn't be much. By worshipping Linden Canuck fans truly embarass themselves and it is no wonder why this franchise is, sadly a laughingstock in professional sports. Enjoy the remiander of his games as a Canuck, I look forward to the future and a new player with more guts and talent to step up and define this franchise. The Linden era is almost over and looking back it was pretty frickin average at best.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Bill Laforge wrote:
mr perfect wrote:

You too are entitled to your opinion but clearly you are living in the past. Ron Wilson in Washington had no use fro Trev, Crawford had to deal with him but did not share your love of him and in Long Island and Montreal the coaches there, Milbury and AV also didn't see his greatness. Keenan is an NHL coach who will be in the HOF for sure and tougher, less fragile players like Iginla, Messier, Roenick, Kovalev, Leetch, Tocchet and many more thrive under his style. Keenan challenged Trev and he folded like a cheap tent and sulked his way out of town. Trev had his first decent playoffs in a decade but sadly had to take up space on the PP to produce. The PP sucked by the way, good for Trev to be on it but bad for the team. He has 5 playoff goals in his last 45 playoff games spanning 11 years. Wow, pretty impressive huh? Sorry to debunk your closely held Linden myths but you forced me to. I would like Ritchie on the ice late in the game ahead of Trev, he is younger, faster and is tougher and worls harder, Trev should have packed it in last year and no other NHL team would want him on their roster so why is he on ours. He has plenty of chance to prove himself this year but seems cntent to rest on his laurels, and why wouldn't he with fans like you will love him no matter how lazy he is.. As a Canuck fan I feel very ripped off that a player like him defines our franchise. He is a nice guy who is good with the fans and media but he is not a great player. What would his legacy be without the arrival of Bure? One can only imagine but it wouldn't be much. By worshipping Linden Canuck fans truly embarass themselves and it is no wonder why this franchise is, sadly a laughingstock in professional sports. Enjoy the remiander of his games as a Canuck, I look forward to the future and a new player with more guts and talent to step up and define this franchise. The Linden era is almost over and looking back it was pretty frickin average at best.
So now we know JOSNIQ has registered under another name.

I'm living in the now. I can see Linden has played 15 fewer games than Ritchie, gets less ice time than Ritchie yet has 2 more goals and is a +2. Ritchie is a team worst -10. The PK has also slid from 1st overall last season when Linden played a more prominent role to 13th this season where Ritchie has played a more prominent role. Not all Ritchie's fault but he's a contributing factor. How many playoff goals does Ritchie have? If you prefer Ritchie over Linden on the ice late in a game when the Canucks are behind, then you must like losing games. No one can help you.

Where do you get the idea Wilson didn't like Linden? Wilson used to be an assistant coach under Quinn so he could have told McPhee he didn't want Linden. Or Milbury? Crawford had Burke's ear when they were together in Vancouver so why didn't he tell Burke he didn't want Linden? Proof? Were you in the dressing rooms or part of the management team or just speculating?

So you liked Keenan's coaching and Messier's "tough" play here in Vancouver, did you? How many playoff series did "Iron Mike" win while he was here? How many playoff points did Messier score during his stint in Vancouver? They did it all without Linden too. How successful were either of them since they left a stacked team in NY? Leetch and Iginla were good players before Keenan coached them. How many Cups have Iginla, Roenick and Tocchet won under Keenan? Ever heard of Brendan Shanahan? He wasn't tough enough to play for Keenan either and "Iron Mike" got rid of him. Shanahan sure could play for Scotty Bowman. He turned out to be the missing piece the Wings needed to win 3 Cups in 6 seasons. Some guy named Bret Hull couldn't play for Keenan yet he was able to win 2 Cups without Keenan.

I didn't say Linden is a great player, he's been a good player whose best years are behind him but he can still contribute. Learn some comprehension. He's been a great Canuck. If Bure was a great Canuck, he wouldn't have asked for a trade out of Vancouver, a trade request spurred by the likes of Keenan and Messier, according to Bure's good friend, Gino Odjick. That's not speculation, that's been aired by Odjick. You didn't debunk any myths since I didn't create or have any, junior. Fans don't embarrass themselves by cheering for players on their team, that's what fans do not cut up their players and wish them gone. Don't try and tell me how to be a fan, I've been a Canucks fan for 38 years and I'll back the players I want to.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Just mentioning Messier on this site tells me who & what you are....nuf said
-- Winston Churchill
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

Trevor may be my favorite Canuck but I have no problem with Bill's comments.

He has an opinion and, more importantly, reasons for that opinion.

I don't agree with his evaluation but I appreciate opposing opinions.

Except for the name calling, this is an enjoyable read.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

ya Whistler, its a good read.
Its eerily close to an old flame though.
I'm a big Linden fan as well. Linden has a role on the team. Its a small role but I'll enjoy watching him play until he decides to hang them up.
Now back to the Mr LaForge & Mr Perfect.......
-- Winston Churchill