Toughness???

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Toughness???

Post by Soapy »

Is Nonis awake? an upgrade on Brown & Cowan??
Shelly could easily take up some Isbister minutes...hell a least he could make some room for our smurfs.....

Sharks Acquire Jody Shelley
San Jose Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson has acquired left wing Jody Shelley from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for a sixth round selection in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
The six-foot-four, 225-pound native of Thompson, Manitoba has posted 44 penalty minutes in 31 games with Columbus this season. He is regarded as one of the NHL’s top enforcers and as a player always willing to stick up for his teammates.
“He adds sandpaper to our lineup,â€￾ said Wilson.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

cowan is shit
shelley is shit

dont think that clown will make us better

cmon man..... toughness isnt the problem its depth
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

I agree....but a change at that level may wake some one up...
Shelly is shit but he's a heavy weight....Cowan is a joke right now....
For a 6th round pick??? come on.....
Shelly steps out ...its fight time
Cowan steps out....its minus time

Depth is the problem....the Sharks are under achieving...what does Wilson do....make a minor change...shoot one over the bow....

what does Nonis do........................................................................
-- Winston Churchill
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

mattola wrote:cowan is shit
shelley is shit

dont think that clown will make us better

cmon man..... toughness isnt the problem its depth
depth on the third and 4th lines is fine and 5th and 6th D-men as well. This team has so little skill in its organization and that's what is killing it.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

I'm not saying 'get Shelly'
I'm saying the Sharks are filling holes...oh wait...the Sharks were already tough...they are loading up for the playoffs...adding to a base....meanwhile back at the ranch...we are complaining about 'what if'

What if the Canucks picked up Shelly....we would all say 'well that takes the pressure off Cowan & the smurfs to fight " ..... they are filling a role on he team ...no one else has to fight unbless they go through Shelly.....fills a role
Hell...the Canucks got beat up by the freaking TB Lightning........
I'm pissed
call it depth...call it a country club....these guys are way too comforable in losing....
-- Winston Churchill
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

If you're going to get a dog, get a big one. Shelley is a doberman, Cowan is a Yorkshire terrier. A pretty useless one, as it turns out.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

Don't the Canucks already have enough fourth-liners?
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

They don't have any fourth liners that strike fear into the other teams the way Shelly does.

Hit the nail right on the head Mr Dithers.
Don Cherry for P.M.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Tukaram wrote:Don't the Canucks already have enough fourth-liners?
I thought they had a team of second & third liners.
Shelly is a PERFECT 4th liner.
-- Winston Churchill
OCWilson
CC Rookie

Post by OCWilson »

I agree fully. Watching the game, I was constantly thinking about the lack of respect towards the Canucks by the other teams. Our D gets run all the time. I too was seeing Cowan being pretty useless in terms of not only lack of offensive output, but his checking is pretty average. That is normally what you get from a true heavy wt, so why not find one??? He would not be on my team if I was GM.

Of course injuries remain a major problem, but once again our lack of a real finisher with the twins cost us. It also takes a fair amount of energy for the other team to check any additional scorer we add, freeing the twins up to be even more effective.

Definitely two glaring weaknesses in my mind. Does Nonis have the ability to make trades as he sees fit, or does he have to get permission from above. What is he waiting for? I hope he does not wait until it is too late.

Personally, I dont think the coaching is the problem.
Canuck2
CC Veteran

Post by Canuck2 »

Having a legitimate heavyweight is something Nonis has no understanding for what it does on a team. To call them "meatheads" just underlines how little he knows of the game. His idea of though guys:

Isbister - can't even mention his name and tough together
Fitzgerald - tough, just not heavyweight tough
Cowan - not even in the same breath as most light heavies
McIver - game, just can't do the job and definitely doesn't strike any fear into the opposing team
Brown, Rypien - undersized although willing, would get stomped on by any real heavies

The psychology of having someone on the bench that can handle any stupidity on the ice is more important than Nonis' little brain can't fathom. It makes you play bigger, take more chances and perhaps get more goals. It's simple really. And I write it again, Naslund mentioned the same when Langdon joined all those years ago. Gaborik mentions the same about Boogaard..wake up Nonis!!!
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

The way Naslund is playing I would have to agree he is getting run pretty good and no one does jack to help. I would gladly have given more than a 6th for Jody Shelley.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

HappyCanuck wrote:The way Naslund is playing I would have to agree he is getting run pretty good and no one does jack to help. I would gladly have given more than a 6th for Jody Shelley.
Isn't this the reason we picked up Cowan from L.A.? To protect his mates? He's willing but just doesn't have the tools to actually win a fight therefore deter the other team from taking liberties with our skilled players.

Shelley would have seemed like an answer but I don't think Nonis or AV they want versatility. You just don't get that with a real heavyweight very often.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for an "enforcer" anytime soon.
R.I.P. Luc.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Bartman wrote:
HappyCanuck wrote:The way Naslund is playing I would have to agree he is getting run pretty good and no one does jack to help. I would gladly have given more than a 6th for Jody Shelley.
Isn't this the reason we picked up Cowan from L.A.? To protect his mates? He's willing but just doesn't have the tools to actually win a fight therefore deter the other team from taking liberties with our skilled players.

Shelley would have seemed like an answer but I don't think Nonis or AV they want versatility. You just don't get that with a real heavyweight very often.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for an "enforcer" anytime soon.
I guess we can't hope for a cup anytime soon.....wouldn't you just want to keep the Sharks from picking up Shelly?? Do we not get that the Sahrks are way better now...with a veterarn goon....
I have understood the angle with Nonis & AV when they were winning....but when you are losing in a close game & the third line goons come out a beat up your number one line??
A simple thing like picking up a goon is a challenge for management??? Oh boy ..I'm confident that they know about the any other holes on the team?
-- Winston Churchill
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Canuck2 wrote:Having a legitimate heavyweight is something Nonis has no understanding for what it does on a team. To call them "meatheads" just underlines how little he knows of the game. His idea of though guys:

Isbister - can't even mention his name and tough together
Fitzgerald - tough, just not heavyweight tough
Cowan - not even in the same breath as most light heavies
McIver - game, just can't do the job and definitely doesn't strike any fear into the opposing team
Brown, Rypien - undersized although willing, would get stomped on by any real heavies

The psychology of having someone on the bench that can handle any stupidity on the ice is more important than Nonis' little brain can't fathom. It makes you play bigger, take more chances and perhaps get more goals. It's simple really. And I write it again, Naslund mentioned the same when Langdon joined all those years ago. Gaborik mentions the same about Boogaard..wake up Nonis!!!
Not to mention Crosby saying how much more room he was getting after Georges Laraque joined the Penguins.

Nonis continually states there's no room for a one dimensional player such as an enforcer in today's NHL. Somehow Nonis forgot when he played in the BCHL with Burnaby that he had room on the ice because 6'4" 230 lb Todd Seminiuk was also on that team. Last season the Ducks were the scourge of the Canucks and they ran their smaller players in 9 games. This season it's been the Sharks dominating Vancouver. I've noticed since the Sharks' game the Canucks opponents have used the same strategy, pounding the Canucks each game. The Canucks do miss Bieksa but when he's healthy they don't want him racking up the PIMs, they want him shutting down the other team's top line. Mike Brown is game but would get eaten alive by any of the big heavyweights. Same with Rypien, who is injury prone. Nonis thinks Cowan brings more to the team than a Shelley or a Boogard (I don't). Cowan doesn't scare anybody and has been soundly beaten his last 2 fights. Somehow the Blue Jackets came up with Jared Boll to replace Shelley. Boll isn't as tough but has more skill. Daniel Carcillo is making a name for himself in Phoenix. Jacques Lemaire has found not one, not two but three players to provide enough toughness so he doesn't need to dress Boogard. Aaron Voros (who is from here), Todd Fedoruk and Matt Foy have all contributed toughness and been effective players for the Wild. There are players who can play as well or better than Cowan and are tougher than he is. Put that type of player in the lineup with Brown and the Canucks aren't pushovers anymore.