Our scout beat Detroits scout?? cant say that often

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Our scout beat Detroits scout?? cant say that often

Post by mattola »

SUPER SCOUT LET EDLER ESCAPE

Detroit scout Hakan Andersson is famous for unearthing talented Europeans in unlikely places and stealing them in the cheap rounds of the draft (Henrik Zetterberg, 210th in 1999; Pavel Datsyuk, 171st in 1998). But he admits a spell of laziness opened the door for Vancouver to steal away Alex Adler.

"He said the best player on their men's team was this kid," Andersson says. "I said to find out how old he is, and my friend called me back and said he was born in 1986, which was that draft year (2004). I didn't have time to go see him until late January or early February. It's a seven- or eight-hour drive."

But Andersson liked what he saw enough that he wanted a second look at Edler, during the Third Division playoffs.

"The second time I went to see him, I called the coach first, just to make sure [Edler] was playing," Andersson says. "It turned out the coach was friends with an agent, and the agent starts sending e-mails to scouts, saying you should come and see this kid. When I think back - and this has been on my mind many times - I think that was my mistake. I never should have phoned the coach. It was just me being a little lazy."

Four years ago, Edler was playing for a senior men's team called Jamtland, which no longer exists, in the Swedish Third Division. The Swedish Third Division is full of prospects -- teachers, foresters, mill workers, bureaucrats, Volvo makers. Hockey prospects? Not so much.

The 21-year-old Edler competes here in the YoungStars game during the NHL's All-Star Weekend, skating on the Western Conference blue line with Johnson and Johnson -- Erik and Jack -- who were merely the first and third overall picks in 2006 and 2005, respectively. That's the company Edler is in now.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Vancouver selected before Detroit and as i heard they got wind of Detroits intentions and took him earlier than they thought necassary
cheers
NKCTB7
AHL Prospect

Post by NKCTB7 »

This kid is truly amazing and he hasn't even begun to tap in to his potential. Here is the entire read. :D http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... k=7839&p=1
"I'm looking forward to making a run for the Stanley Cup with Vancouver"...Roberto Luongo
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Fred wrote:Vancouver selected before Detroit and as i heard they got wind of Detroits intentions and took him earlier than they thought necassary
We should use that strategy from now on.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

jchockey wrote:
Fred wrote:Vancouver selected before Detroit and as i heard they got wind of Detroits intentions and took him earlier than they thought necassary
We should use that strategy from now on.

:lol:
cheers
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

Thomas Gradin is worth his weight in gold!
According to the article, it was his persistence that caused the Canucks to draft Edler.
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

what a great read that article is!

i'd totally forgotten that gradin use to wear 23...that's awesome: wearing the old number of the scout who believed enough in you to convince the team to make a move to draft you...and one of those canucks from the cinderella '82 team...here's hoping that edler will be there soon to flash the 23 again.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

The Canucks did this to Detroit before as well. Ernie "Punch" McLean, the coach of the New Westminster Bruins was also a scout for the Red Wings & he was begging the Wings to take this sparkplug "future captain" named Stan Smyl....Detroit was asleep at the wheel, obviously not thinking much of McLean's constant pleading and Vancouver took Steamer in the 3rd round.

If Smyl played on the Oilers in those dark days of the 80s (Sather was rumoured to be after him in trade talks) then he'd be in the Hall of Fame. Its the luck of the draw sometimes, where you play and who with....no question Smyl was a great hockey player!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

its nice to see that we can beat detroit to the punch once every 30 years.........
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

its nice to see that we can beat detroit to the punch once every 30 years.........
:lol: :lol: :lol:
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Alex has come so far in just 2 years. Two years ago his first game in Kelowna he was so raw and didn't know anything about playing North American defense.

The Canucks and the Rockets thought he would have to play one more year, last year in junior hockey. But instead he spend the year with the Moose and playoffs with the Canucks.

Alex has played his way onto the Canucks as a regular d-man and if the team ever gets a healty core of defense they will have to make a trade. No way is Alex a 7th defenseman on this team or any team.

Great job by Gradin in scouting.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!