Getting time to fire Vigneault

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Grizzly
MVP
MVP
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:35 am
Location: Dawson Creek

Post by Grizzly » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:03 am

Considering what AV has to work with ... I think he has done a pretty good job. Does he make mistakes from time to time ... sure ... who doesn't.

We have beat this with a dead horse and I hate to rag ... but the guy(s) paid to really score aren't ... you can't expect Lou to play completely perfect all year ...

... are we in a slump ... yep ... but hopefully the All Star break will recharge guys a bit and maybe DN will swing a deal for some help ...

Grizz

MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:28 pm
Location: Delta, BC

Post by MarkMM » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:56 am

- Second-line centre is out (Morrison), when secondary scoring was already an issue

- Top-four defenseman is out (Bieksa), along with various other injuries at times to the remaining top four (Ohlund, Mitchell, Salo), when defense was our strength

- AV is the reigning Jack Adams winner, and for all the bitching about AV changing lines too much preventing chemistry and consistency (which I agree with), how smart is it to change coaches after his second year here? Um yeah, not too smart there.

And yet we're still competitive, despite a weaker weakness (scoring) and a weakened strength (defense), this isn't AV's fault, he's holding a depleted team together with Scotch-tape, DN has to bring in reinforcements, we have to get healthy, and then we'll be able to make some well thought-out calls, without wetting our pants and panicking when bad luck and bad streaks hit.
Mark

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2735
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Post by Madcombinepilot » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:46 am

Yeah. GREAT idea!

Fire the coach.

winner of tonights game is first in the division!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Kowch
CC Veteran
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:11 am

Post by Kowch » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:21 pm

Who exactly do you propose takes over the team then? I hear Glen Hanlon is available - he did such a great job in Washington. Paul Maurice might be available soon too after his fantastic job in Toronto. :roll:

This is what amuses me about "fire the coach" threads. Little to (mostly) no thought goes in to what happens AFTER he's let go. Whoopy... we've fired Vigneault... and we still have no players that can put the puck in the net on a consistent basis. So where's the benefit?

Vigneault is 74-44- 7 as head coach of the Canucks. Not too shabby. Yes, a lot of the credit goes to Luongo and our D core, but you can't say Vigneault hasn't been effective during his time behind the bench in Vancouver. Especially considering what he has to work with up front.

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:13 pm

Post by SRsez » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:28 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Canucks are now in 8th place.
and since we are pointing out the obvious,

we are 1 point out of 3rd.
See, there's the issue, MCP. We shouldn't be where we are. We shouldn't have lost 3 straight to the shittiest team in the league. Then we wouldn't be in 8th, wouldn't be 1 point out of third, etc.

And we should never, ever lose to that smug prick Squeaky.

AV has now proven that he is unable to get the team to go the extra mile.
He has proven that nothing has changed in Canuckville for 37 years - we still struggle mightily to get goals, and give up goals on practically every damn chance we give up.

Look at Colorado - without Sakic, Smyth & now Stastny, and yet they are humming right along. Do I need to point out how much more critical those guys are than Morrison, Bieksa & Mitchell?

Oh, and just a note Kowch, one of the very best coaches of all time is available. Pat Quinn on drugs makes a better coach than AV. So too would Larry Robinson. So there are definitely better choices available than AV.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

User avatar
Badfish
MVP
MVP
Posts: 789
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Post by Badfish » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:34 pm

Kowch wrote:Who exactly do you propose takes over the team then? I hear Glen Hanlon is available - he did such a great job in Washington. Paul Maurice might be available soon too after his fantastic job in Toronto. :roll:

This is what amuses me about "fire the coach" threads. Little to (mostly) no thought goes in to what happens AFTER he's let go. Whoopy... we've fired Vigneault... and we still have no players that can put the puck in the net on a consistent basis. So where's the benefit?

Vigneault is 74-44- 7 as head coach of the Canucks. Not too shabby. Yes, a lot of the credit goes to Luongo and our D core, but you can't say Vigneault hasn't been effective during his time behind the bench in Vancouver. Especially considering what he has to work with up front.
Good post Kowch, I was going to ask the same question, who in all your wisdom do you think should take over as coach and lead the team to the cup? Who's going to come in and turn this team into a cup contender without any help from DN? AV's doing just fine with what he's got. Let's see what he and Nonis can do with an extra 8.5 mil or so!

cgyfireman
AHL Prospect
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:54 pm

Post by cgyfireman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:34 pm

You guys have one of the best coaches in the league....no way you fire him.

Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:46 pm

Post by Naslund Is King » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:57 pm

AV is not one of the best coaches in the league.

No way is he top 5.

Top 10? I doubt it.

User avatar
levelheaded
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Toronto, but heart's in Vancouver

Post by levelheaded » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:35 pm

Naslund Is King wrote:AV is not one of the best coaches in the league.

No way is he top 5.

Top 10? I doubt it.
He was voted the best coach in the league last year.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to put him in the top 5, let alone the top 10...

Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:46 pm

Post by Naslund Is King » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:44 pm

That award should have been Nolan's... not AV's.

Babcock, Gulien, Nolan, Sutter, Caryle hell even Gretzky are better then AV.

I don't think AV should be fired yet... but if there is another 1st or 2nd round exit in the playoffs this year or hell, they miss the playoffs(not likely though) he should be on very very thin ice.

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:13 pm

Post by SRsez » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:30 am

cgyfireman wrote:You guys have one of the best coaches in the league....no way you fire him.
What do you know? Another EBL=more bullshit. Quelle surprise.

Calgary has one of the best coaches in the league - too bad for them he's the GM. :rofl:
Last edited by SRsez on Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:13 pm

Post by SRsez » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:32 am

We'll wait until the end of next year's playoff run. Then all you guys that don't want him fired will be screaming for his head.

As usual, I'm about a year & a half ahead of the curve.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

User avatar
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Ontario

Post by Tukaram » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:37 am

SRsez wrote:We'll wait until the end of next year's playoff run. Then all you guys that don't want him fired will be screaming for his head.

As usual, I'm about a year & a half ahead of the curve.
Don't sprain your arm patting yourself on the back. :roll:

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:13 pm

Post by SRsez » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:46 am

Tukaram wrote:
SRsez wrote:We'll wait until the end of next year's playoff run. Then all you guys that don't want him fired will be screaming for his head.

As usual, I'm about a year & a half ahead of the curve.
Don't sprain your arm patting yourself on the back. :roll:
Don't worry, I realize I know more about the Canucks than about 95% of so called "die hard" fans. I just enjoy enlightening the world with my insight.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

User avatar
jchockey
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:46 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by jchockey » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:50 am

Grizzly wrote:Considering what AV has to work with ... I think he has done a pretty good job. Does he make mistakes from time to time ... sure ... who doesn't.

Grizz
I completely agree. DN has to go before AV because i feel DN hasn't done anything since getting Luongo to improve the team.

Post Reply