Phaneuf turns down $6M per ($30M) deal

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Phaneuf turns down $6M per ($30M) deal

Post by mattola »

I dont think that he wants out of Calgary what I think is happening is a trend now where all these young good players want long term (8 to 10 year) deals. Seems to be the cool thing to do now.

THE LATEST FROM THE OTTAWA SUN.
Bruce Garrioch reports the following:

- It's believed Dion Phaneuf turned down a five-year, $30 million offer from the Calgary Flames.

whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

I'd like to see a maximum salary constrained under the cap.

That way no individual player can rob his team of the chance to build a competitive team. They could still aspire to become a top ranked player making the maximum.
Bump up the minimum wage when the cap goes up.

These guys are leaving reality farther and farther behind.

It's great to see them being competitive 'on the ice' but do they really need to compete with every other star in the league for who can get the richest contract?

Hockey is supposed to be a team sport but these stars are way too focussed on their individual rewards...often to the point of hurting their team's chances.

Somehow, the original dream of making huge money being a hockey hero has turned into pure, out-of-control, greed and/or posturing.
Our 'heroes' are mercenaries.

It isn't good for the fans and it isn't good for the game.
We watch ticket prices going out of reach while the stars jockey for even more money leaving fan favorites like Burrows and Linden, who also bring something valuable to a fan-based industry, designated as unimportant simply because of the money differential.

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Not a bad idea, a max any one player can demand. It seems out of kilter right now. Frankly what teams need these days is all star Pro Scouts to find the low end players that can perform in the NHL. The top end players, any one can name them. Trying to find in the minors players who can play immiediatly and at a low salary that seems to be the key that opens the door
cheers

Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Great post Whistler!
:thumbs:

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

excellent post Whistler

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Remember Phaneuf is from Edmonton.

Maybe he wants to live the childhood dream and play for the Oilers?

I live in Edmonton. I have spoken to some people here who have known him.

I have heard rumours out here in Alberta that has said that Kevin Lowe would be willing to spend $7 million a season or more on a long-term deal to get him to play for the Oilers.

Only Dion Phaneuf and maybe his agent knows what he wants to do when his contract is up this season, if it does get to that point.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Nothing new about individuals in a strange world. Remember we still have our "burdons" named Naslund or Luongo.

Not to be misunderstood, i'm glad both are on the team, but i really doubt that someone earns this much...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

whistler wrote:I'd like to see a maximum salary constrained under the cap.

That way no individual player can rob his team of the chance to build a competitive team.
Fine, just make Calgary exempt.

Anything to screw the Flames is a good thing. No, check that, a great thing. Go Keenan!
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Great post Whistler... I agree completely.. The overpayment of " star " players weakens teams overall and adds to the cost of fans tickets.. If Phaneuf is going to get 7 mill a year how much is a real Norris winning star dman worth? Lidstrom, Neidermyer... ? Maybe a real star ( Luongo ) is one that is a " difference " maker.. not just a top player? If it wasn't for Luongo the Canucks would not be contending for a playoff spot.. Same could be said for Iginla of Calgary.. not for Naslund.. or some other overpaid stars. Like to see a higher minimum and a cap of about 5 or 6 mill maximum.. Still enough $$ to put gas in the Ferrari :)
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Wow.

Phaneuf has thus far shown me he's no more than a young Bryan McCabe. He's got a great shot and is physical, but he's quite inept in his own zone.

Unfortunately for Sutter, all the average hockey fan sees is the slapshot and the big hit and considers him an all-star. Therefore, the pressure is there from the average fan to sign him.

He may very well develop the defensive part of his game, but is he worth 6 million without a guarantee that he won't be the next McCabe?

But, if he does get the raise, I guess he won't have to share cigarettes with Kiprusoff.

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Larry Goodenough wrote:But, if he does get the raise, I guess he won't have to share cigarettes with Kiprusoff.
:lol: So i learned you know the picture. great stuff, i wonder who these "ladies" are ? :cheers:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

HAHAHA this stuff is funny. Do you really believe that a marketable commodity shouldn't receive it's marketable price? Do you think the owners will drop the ticket price if a marketable commodity is signed for less? Do the Alex Burrows of this world truly deserve an amount closer to the Sidney Crosbys of this world because you want them too? Do you go to see Burrows or Crosby? Does Phaneuf deserve what he wants? In Calgary he does because he is a hero in that town and he is one of the reasons hockey is booming in Alberta. Does he deserve it in Vancouver? No because as noted above he hasn't developed his game to the point where he is reliable both offensively and defensively. Would we be glad to have him at that price? Probably.

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

HappyCanuck wrote:Would we be glad to have him at that price? Probably.
Wow, those must be some great drugs.

No way in hell would the Canucks pay Phanny more than Mitchell & Ohlund, for two very good reasons: 1) he ain't worth more than those two, and 2) I'd blow up GM Place if they did.

Phaneuf's biggest problem (aside from the fact he has to play for the Flamers) is that he is too much of a hothead, and once he gets mad, he forgets how to play effectively.

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Larry Goodenough wrote:Phaneuf has thus far shown me he's no more than a young Bryan McCabe.
How very accurate. Love to see what the Calphuck idiots would say to that.

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

whistler wrote:I'd like to see a maximum salary constrained under the cap.
Technically there already is. A player can not make more then 20% of the salary cap.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel: