This Season's Most Underappreciated Player

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

mattola wrote:
This Season's Most Underappreciated Player

The girl on the left during the Player of the Game ceremony for Canada and Denmark . HOLY CRAP

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Now I gotta watch the replay? I didn't watch the end. I take it she's about as ugly as that chick that danced with Helio Castro-Neves?
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
OCWilson
CC Rookie

Post by OCWilson »

How about Curtis Sandford? Could we ask for more from a backup?
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

Although I too would vote for Pyatt, given his offensive numbers, it's not an easy choice.
this year's version of the Canucks is filled with players who quietly get the job done while flying under the radar.

If there was one word to describe this year's team, I'd have to pick "Competent".

We have one spectacular puck posession line and a spectacular goalie but, other than that, we are, pretty much, just outstandingly 'competent'.

There are no holes in this team.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Fair comments on Edler ... but my point is that on the grand scheme of things .... he has jumped in for Bieksa ... a guy who was part of the starting 4 on a team that is arguably a top 10 club in the NHL ... and... will very likely get little to no recognition from anyone back East.

No arguing Pyatt but to me ... players from the West still fly under the radar... What if Edler did the same thing in TO ???

Grizz
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

What if Edler did the same thing in TO ???
We'd all be heartily sick of him and hearing of Toronto's Calder candidate :lol:

You're right about western players being ignored.

We hear about Crosby, Ovechkin, Lecavalier, Heatley etc etc ad naseum in the news but we rarely hear of Iginla who is near the very top of the leader boards in both goals and points.

With the exception of Ottawa and Detroit players, who, oddly enough, fill the top six spots in the +/- stats, our rookie Edler comes next with +16,

Even more impressive,...his home and away stats are identical at +8. He plays a solid game regardless of the venue..

Yet we hear next to nothing of Edler from the Eastern media.

Part of the problem, I expect, is that defencemen, unless they deliver bone crushing hits and offensive flair, are of interest only to knowledgable hockey fans and the media is preaching to the general public so they find goal scorers much easier topics.

So defensive defencemen in the west will likely remain invisible to the eastern based media....which does make it hard for Edler to be recognized for the Calder, despite 'earning' front runner consideration..
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

whistler wrote:We hear about Crosby, Ovechkin, Lecavalier, Heatley etc etc ad naseum in the news but we rarely hear of Iginla who is near the very top of the leader boards in both goals and points.
Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth. We still hear way too much about Iginla. When anyone, anywhere has the audacity to talk about him being "the best example of Canadian Captains" I want to hurl my cookies.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Pyatt's a good choice, though mine would likely go to Lukas Krajicek.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

I love that Edler has brought a ton of stability on the back end... Unfortunately, he won't get any attention in the East. His plus/minus is pretty good, but then for some time Marek Malik was consistently in the Top Ten league wide until this season - now he's been riding the pine in NY.

Unsung hero? I think I'd go with Sanford.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

whistler wrote: So defensive defencemen in the west will likely remain invisible to the eastern based media....which does make it hard for Edler to be recognized for the Calder, despite 'earning' front runner consideration..
Also, the media will look no further than Luongo to write of the talents of our D-men.
2021 - Playoff Bound
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Also, the media will look no further than Luongo to write of the talents of our D-men.
No question there ... good point !

Grizz
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Imo the more the media writes about the talents of our players, the more expensive they'll become. So i'm glad that they're flying a little bit under the radar. ;)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

Cookie La Rue wrote:Imo the more the media writes about the talents of our players, the more expensive they'll become. So i'm glad that they're flying a little bit under the radar. ;)
Yeah, just like "The Dion"
what a tool...........
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Most underappreciated? Byron Ritchie.
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

Mike Brown
Ropesauce
CC Rookie

Post by Ropesauce »

Naslund

Is underappreciated the same as least appreciated? ;)