This Season's Most Underappreciated Player

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:33 pm

In my opinion the most underappreciated player on the team has been Taylor Pyatt. He is 4th in team scoring with 20pts (9G 11A) behind only the Sedins and Naslund. He plays all situations, and is currently on a line with a couple of first year players and is doing an admirable job helping bring them along. He's gone from being the Sedin's winger, to a checker, to a 4th liner to a 2nd liner this year, yet he is is still on track for a career high 43 points. Despite his much less offensive role he is on pace for only 4 less goals than last year (19) and is still a plus player (+5). On top of all of that he is yet to complain or even question his reduced offensive role this year. He's definitely our most valuable player noone is talking about.

Anyone disagree?

sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:51 am

No.
i agree wholeheartedly..

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:32 am

Good call......& AV has given him a veteran role on his line....is AV the new Bowman? He has a touch ....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:56 am

I would agree, but every game I watch i think he is capable of so much more. Taylor does evrything he is asked, but he could do more.

Who is the second choice of underappreciated player? IMO Alex Edler, what is going to happen when Bieksa and Ohlund get healty. Weaver is cemented in as the 7th d-man but Alex has played so great, do they make a trade of send him to the Moose?

Alex is this years Kevin Bieksa story playing like a vet, PK PP and regular shift and not looking out of place for a 21 year old rookie.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!

OCWilson
CC Rookie

Post by OCWilson » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:35 am

I definitely agree on your choice of Pyatt. He is having a solid season. He just does not have flash in his game. He has looked solid to me in almost every game I have seen this season, but plays kind of a quiet game. The fact that he can play well with so many different line mates speaks for its self. There is no way Alex can be sent down. He is a solid top four performer in my opinion. I have watched him closely and he keeps getting better. Whree will he be in a year or two if he keeps growing in his capacities?!

Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:48 am

Good choice ... runners up might include Edler who has quietly gone about his business ... although not flashy and making the occasional mistake he has filled in extremely well for a blue line that has had its share of injuries.

I would agree though for Pyatt as a first choice ... no whining about being dropped from the Sedin line, hard working, consistent play, dependable and reliable ... .... .... .... :D

Grizz

Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:24 pm

Agree with the " underappreciated " choice of Pyatt.. Doing a good job consistently even though he has been asked to play with many different line mates. Edler is not ' underappreciated ".... he's getting lots of press and lots of ice time .. Definitely he and Kessler are the pleasant surprises of the year... both giving more than expected.. My choice for runner up in the " underappreciated " category would be Alex Burrows who is far better than last year.. and doing a good job.. For a guy that was not sure of a spot on the team he's become a superb checker and a superpest :) ( sorry no Ruutu this year :)..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:24 pm

Pyatt made a sweetheart pass last game, he's doing fine, in anyways better than Isbister, but he's ok too. :mrgreen:

In some kind of way both are playing nearly ther same ....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:46 pm

I have been happy with Pyatt and Edler, but I have been pleased with Aaron Miller too. He struggled a bit early on, but he has been pretty steady lately. He just quietly goes about his job and plays a solid defensive game.

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:36 am

Jovorock wrote:I would agree, but every game I watch i think he is capable of so much more. Taylor does evrything he is asked, but he could do more.

Who is the second choice of underappreciated player? IMO Alex Edler, what is going to happen when Bieksa and Ohlund get healty. Weaver is cemented in as the 7th d-man but Alex has played so great, do they make a trade of send him to the Moose?

Alex is this years Kevin Bieksa story playing like a vet, PK PP and regular shift and not looking out of place for a 21 year old rookie.
I agree with everything except the first 3 words.

Pyatt's still way too much of a pussy, and should (not could) do a lot more.

Edler's been phenomenal. He will be better than Ohlund.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:19 am

Most appreciated? Luongo
Least appreciated? Weaver
Under appreciated? Gotta go Pyatt.

Edler's name has come up and while I've got to agree that he's been great he's anything but under appreciated. Pyatt has been asked to produce points, check the other teams top units, stabilize a line with 2 rookies and has even fought some pretty tough characters. All without much fan fare.

Pyatt gets my vote!
R.I.P. Luc.

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:41 am

I don't think anyone can say Edler is underappreciated. The guy will likely receive Calder consideration.

With the whole offer sheet imbroglio, I don't think anyone can say Kessler is underappreciated either. He's just finally living up to the financial appreciation the Club's shown him.

Pyatt, on the other hand hasn't garnered the universal praise he did last year playing with the Twins, but he's quietly and without any fuss expanded his game to become a pretty complete utility guy capable of playing on any of the team's four lines and still post a reasonable number of points. Not a bad guy to have on your team. Yeah, I wish he'd throw his weight around a little more. But nobody's perfect - well, other than Luongo. So yep, Pyatt wins the Mr. Unappreciated award.

Burroughs would be the other candidate. He's become a great pest and on more than a few nights he's been our best player. Now, if he could only pull the Ruttu in the shootout.

A final name? Jaffray.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.

dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:13 pm

Jovorock wrote:I would agree, but every game I watch i think he is capable of so much more. Taylor does evrything he is asked, but he could do more.
This is what I find agitating about Pyatt as well,he's got a real nice snap shot,doesn't whine about decreased ice time,shows adequate hustle most nights. has decent #'s and is one of the few Canucks that look decent in the shoot-outs,but there seems to be much more untapped potential in his game.
Loui is tougher to get rid of than ear hair

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:17 pm

The girl on the left during the Player of the Game ceremony for Canada and Denmark . HOLY CRAP

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:43 pm

Meerschaum wrote:I don't think anyone can say Edler is underappreciated. The guy will likely receive Calder consideration.
Holy, Meers has been smoking the Christmas weed a little heavy.

Edler won't get any recognition for the Calder, despite the fact he's the one most deserving (so far) to win it.

EBL's being what they are, Edler will be ignored. Of course, if he played for Calgary, he'd be the second coming of Bobby Orr, but I digress.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)