BERTUZZI COMING BACK TO VAN CITY!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:47 am

I was a big Bert fan, but his attitude when he left has a sour tast in my mouth. If I was in GM Place I wouldn't boo, I would clap for him but not real loud.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:34 am

Jovorock wrote:I was a big Bert fan, but his attitude when he left has a sour tast in my mouth. If I was in GM Place I wouldn't boo, I would clap for him but not real loud.
Exactly - after the support he got here after the 'incident', he responded by floating through most of his remaining time here.

Unfortunately, his dominating days are over, and he's just a footnote in Canucks history. He took way too much lumber to the back, the refs allowed it, and now his career seems to be shortened.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:00 am

There is nothing less classy than booing an injured player on the ice or a player making his return to a team which he has made an impressive contribution to. It's not like Bertuzzi held out for more money. He just simply wasn't the player he once was, and unfortunately he never will be again.

Vancouver fans are better than that.

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:17 am

No reason to boo the guy. He sacrificed his spine to innumerable cross-checks for this team

And also . . . he landed us Roberto.

So, what's not to like?

That having been said, I sure as hell won't be cheering for him if he pots any tonight for those loathsome Disney-bad-animatronics-gone-awry-experiment known as the Anaheim Ducks.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.

Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:01 pm

jchockey wrote:There is nothing less classy than booing an injured player on the ice or a player making his return to a team which he has made an impressive contribution to. It's not like Bertuzzi held out for more money. He just simply wasn't the player he once was, and unfortunately he never will be again.

Vancouver fans are better than that.
I'd like to think so, but... I'm not convinced. At times I'm ashamed to be Canuck fan, I hate to say. Too many fairweather fans. Who Boo's Luongo??? sure he has a bad game every now and then, you must remember that he IS indeed human, no matter what we all may think. That left a real sour taste in my mouth. Then the following game he gets his "Louuuu" chants again. To me, you don't boo your franchise goalie who just came off a career year because he has an off period or two.

That being said, when Bert was suspended and he came on the ice for the "jersey off our backs" night, that was a very special moment with him receiving the standing O after everything that had happened. Todd looked visibly moved, and I hope we give him the same show of respect when he plays tonight. I may get flak for this, but what's key about Bert to me is he sticks by his friends. What happened, albeit a stupid mistake, was Bert trying to stand up for his good friend Naslund. Had there been no "Instigator" rule, none of that would have happened, as Moore wouldn't have been able to skate away like a fairy from Bert for the first half of the shift. In the old Days Bert would just say "I'm fighting you" and pummeled the crap outta the guy, not chase him around waiting for his permission to fight him. Right or wrong, this is one of the problems I see with the lack of respect in the league nowdays.

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:31 pm

I really don't care. I loved Bert playing here and he'll always be somewhere in my heart. If somebody wants to boo him, go on, i know what my feelings are about him and that counts. So why bother about others who might boo him.

ps: That doesn't mean i'll cheer for him. ;) Just looking forward. It's live on tv again.....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:03 pm

The fans who boo also risk "waking the giant" which is something that won't help the Canucks win.

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:29 pm

i had to give up my tickets as Im moving this week however I would wear his jersey and cheer him and would be louder if he scored. he did well for us messed up and cost himself more than he would ever have caused us.

its over. hes gone and back for the first time

go canucks go first

good luck bert.

Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:48 pm

After all the crap he has taken on this board its nice to see some posters look back and remember how cool it was to have a 6'3" 245lb grumpy Italian with unreal skill on our team. Other than Bure and the odd time Gino he was the most fun by far to watch in all the years Ive been a Canuck fan.

I hope he does real well tonight and if that means the Canucks lose so be it.
Don Cherry for P.M.

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:02 am

Well things went pretty swell and I thought he looked better than I've seen him in a long time, best of luck to him. Although that attempted stick check on Naslund's goal, wow I thought we were going to see Naslund from Bertuzzi on the score sheet one more time...

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:11 am

So in the end, the fans proved the media wrong and Bert's return was a NON - ISSUE. It's just been too long, I didn't care and no one else did except for how we would do against the clucks.

Great game last night, I enjoyed every penalty minute of it. :roll:

What was up with that darin d guy for tsn? What a clown. All I heard from him even AFTER the game was how great the clucks were and how enjoyable they are to watch. I guess those toronto folk don't even want to acknowledge the Canucks exist.

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:03 am

Robert wrote:
What was up with that darin d guy for tsn? What a clown. All I heard from him even AFTER the game was how great the clucks were and how enjoyable they are to watch. I guess those toronto folk don't even want to acknowledge the Canucks exist.

I took that as they are a spectacle when they win or lose. they were embarrassing last night how they imploded. I haven't seen that much loss of composure in a long time.

Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:26 am

mattola wrote:
Robert wrote:

I took that as they are a spectacle when they win or lose. they were embarrassing last night how they imploded. I haven't seen that much loss of composure in a long time.
Agreed, and don't look now but we're 1st in the division, 3rd in the Conference, as well as 3rd in the Conference in goals for!! Not bad for a team who once again wasn't going to make the playoffs according to some posters and media folk at the start of the season. How about Naslund? Looks great out there again!

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:17 am

to be honest Badfish did they show anything at the start of this season to indicate that they would improve. they were terrible. but they proved us wrong again and still have 3/4 of a season to play to say whether they will make it or not.

4 games over .500 is a awesome but we have so far to go

Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:23 am

we do have so far to go, which is exactly my point. This team won the division last year after getting off to a similar slow start. The same thing happened then with allot of people writing the team off after 15 games. How about we have a little faith that the team that did so well last year could once again make some adjustments and play better then they had at the start? Is that not more resonable then assuming they weren't playoff bound after such little time? I'd like to see a bit more team faith around these parts! If you think they're a bunch of bums in October, stick to your words in April.