Canucks add Weaver to blue line

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:26 am

It could be we let Mcgillis go because he wasn't a fit in the dressingroom, or perhaps wasn't happy being the 7th guy. If thats the case, I would rather have a smaller guy who is more about 'team' nad can fill in for the 1 or 2 games this year while the call up flys in, than have a guy who is a cancer in the room....

Not saying thats what happened, just trying to look at it from all angles because it sure looks like something is going on that we (fans) are not privy to...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:36 pm

There's no point making a deal to bring back Baumer, he's decent but is he worth trading for? me thinks not :) As for McGillis you've got to assume that there was something AVand the coaches didn't like about him. Perhaps his speed? It's all well and good that he's tough and can hit hard, but if you can't catch up to the forwards in your own end you won't be getting many hits, let alone stopping the puck from getting to Bobby Lou.

Speaking of that, it is true that smaller D may have problems with big hulking wingers, but who won't? Even Ohlund would have trouble taking on a streaking Bert (or similar player). How many of these "Power players" are there out there? How many 5'10 185lb "new NHL" wingers are there out there? No comparision I think. Sure the guy can't take on all comers, but if he's got speed and plays tough, why not. It's not like we gave up anything to get him.

stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:48 pm

can't remember where I read it today, but I came across something that mentioned DN's comments on Weaver, that they had offered him a contract in the summer. Obviously they've been after him for awhile then, and when he came up on the waiver wire they jumped at the chance? Hmmm.... sorry for the lack of source.

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Well lets see what he can do b4 judging him too much. Not really fair or smart to do so.
I have heard he plays tougher than his size indicates...we'll see.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:28 pm

cheap depth acquired through waivers. Can't have too high of expectations. Then again, his predecessor almost made the all stars :P
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever

stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:42 pm

YouTube rocks. Mike Weaver, folks.

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:03 am

He can't deliver a hit without hurting or winding himself? I'll wait and see, he's not that big!
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:42 am

Jovorock wrote:He can't deliver a hit without hurting or winding himself? I'll wait and see, he's not that big!
A little bit bitter, seems he was hurt more than his victim. :?
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:33 pm

thats one clip, a bit quick to say he can't make a hit without that result. If anything it shows he's willing to throw his body around. I say lets give the guy a chance, we got him for cheap and he's a guy we've had our eye on for awhile There must be a reason why.