Dan McGillis try out for Nucks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Dan McGillis try out for Nucks

Post by Fred »

cheers
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Seriously? I thought he retired, I know he signed that huge contract, but I thought he'd called it a career so the Devils could get under the cap. Maybe I am thinking of someone else.

I guess the contract won't be for anything more than league min and a 2-way if he does sign here. I'd still prefer Edler and Bourdon to get NHL action...
hoopsjunky
CC Rookie

Post by hoopsjunky »

Not too thrilled with this move, but I suppose if anyone's willing to take a two-way minimum deal, it'd be him.

I don't see Edler and Bourdon both sticking around. If anything, it'd be Edler. Bourdon needs some serious seasoning and I hope they send him to the Moose. That's fine though. I really don't care that he's a top-10 pick. He's only 20 with some forgettable NHL games under his belt. He needs playing time and he won't get it here.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Depth never hurts. He could help Bourdon on the Moose.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

Dan McGillis? The Cup is SO ours. ;) Hey, if he can still move his feet, having a low-cost veteran available will be helpful. This may also signal that Salo might be out for a while...
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Here's what I see.

One of Edler or Bourdon make the team as the 6th/7th guy until Salo comes back. If McGillis makes it, he will also be a 6th/7th guy as well.

Salo comes back, McGillis goes down to the Moose until playoff time.

In a perfect world, McGillis shines while he's with the big club and plays like Sean O'Donnel. I've always had a soft spot for McGillis so I hope he comes through.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Agreed that I'd take him at the league minimum on a two-way deal.

It might be a sign that Salo/Miller is more injured than expected, and/or it might be a pre-emptive move to add an extra body to our defense so that Nonis can pull the trigger on a trade involving one of our d-men (Krajicek) for a forward.

I like what he offers on paper, so long as he can still deliver, defensively responsible, big and hard-hitting, can never have too much of that, or too much experienced, defensive depth, so long as it's cheap, and in this case, won't cost us any assets.

Beyond that, definitely keep Bourdon and maybe even Edler on the Moose, I have high hopes for both, and if they're not going to get a lot of ice-time in key moments on the big-team, let them develop down there until they have nothing left to learn and are ready to grow into their potential.
Mark
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/C ... e_canucks/

According to Yahoo! the Canucks have actually SIGNED McGillis, I assume that's an error as TSN doesn't have it. Interesting at least, if he is a Canuck let's hope he can contribute and this doesn't mean a long term Injury to Salo.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I see a guy to replace the injured Miller and Salo....

replace was too strong a word. 'fill-in' was, of course ,what I was looking for...

If we are starting with our D all hammered up, depth is a good thing. it's only a try out, and he might not make it.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I'll take McGillis over Tremblay anyday.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

AV said in today's Province that Dan is being looked at for the big club - not the Moose.

Well, let's see what he's got left in the tank. We might all be surprised.

After all, McGillis wasn't playing in the minors because he was a crappy d-man. He was stuck in Lowell because Lou Lamorello handed out a woefully fricken insane contract that didn't work at all under the cap.

McGillis used to move the puck pretty darned well fior a big guy, and was always dependable in his own end. There's the potential for a real steal here.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I'd rather invited Nolan Pratt to a tryout. Or even Josef Melichar.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

jchockey wrote:I'd rather invited Nolan Pratt to a tryout. Or even Josef Melichar.
Pratt would have been ok, I actually read a rumour about the Canucks being interested in him. Melichar signed in Europe recently.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Miller - McGillis as our 3rd pairing

that is scary depth, veterans are NEVER too many come playoffs time.

hey, if we only manage to score 16 goals in the playoffs, i wouldn't mind as long as Luongo gets 16 shut outs
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Jelly wrote:
hey, if we only manage to score 16 goals in the playoffs, i wouldn't mind as long as Luongo gets 16 shut outs
Could happen.