Interesting Foppa rumours again

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Interesting Foppa rumours again

Post by puckhead »

from another board, but interesting nonetheless.
keep pushing, Nazzy!

http://www.canuckscentral.com/forums/in ... topic=9576
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

sigh... I can only dream. The really agonizing part of these kinds of things is the complete lack of timetable. I can hardly wait for training camp in 3 days (why in the heck hasn't the province or sun started writing about the canucks!?! There's only so many time I can check un-updated sites), let alone wait for Forsberg to sign... sometime... here... really?!? grrr.
Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Naslund Is King »

Can't you post the message in the topic?
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

Quoting from the other forum:

Ok,

I am pulling an Eklund here but am going to do so even if I am jumped on. This rumour is as good as it gets bc it is from the horse's mouth (no word of a lie).

I am not saying how I got this info and that is neither here nor there. Jump on me all you want, I will eat my words if it doesn't happen but as far as reliable sources come this is as good as it gets, and much better than Eklund.

Peter Forsberg will sign with Vancouver. Wait and see.

end quote.

His story of how he got his info is actually "verified" (if we can call it that, on the interweb) later in the post by one of the administrators at canuckscentral, so take it for what you will. Consdering Eklund's track record, I guess we can't really say this is that much more out to lunch. Take it for what it's worth, with a huge grain of salt.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

How much is he going to sign for? Way more than the $1M Nonis can afford to pay.

He won't be signing here.

Too bad your link didn't work. I wonder which joker it was that posted it. It just doesn't make any sense.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

SRsez wrote:How much is he going to sign for? Way more than the $1M Nonis can afford to pay.

He won't be signing here.

Too bad your link didn't work. I wonder which joker it was that posted it. It just doesn't make any sense.
I thought we're around $46.5 mil, that's with 13 forwards, 6 d and the 2 goalies...with $1.5m buffer, that leaves Nonis $2m, and if Forsberg doesn't come back till halfway through the season due to rehabilitating his ankle, then we could sign him for $4m and fit it in the cap, as half his salary wouldn't be counted under the long-term injury clause. Makes more sense now.
Mark
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

I'm with MarkMM. How do you figure Nonis only has 1M SRsez? Wouldn't the amount he has available continue to increase the further into the season we go?

As for the link, it worked for me.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

stevethiessen wrote:I'm with MarkMM. How do you figure Nonis only has 1M SRsez? Wouldn't the amount he has available continue to increase the further into the season we go?

As for the link, it worked for me.
Okay, the $1M figure was just out of the air. Nonis has said he won't spend to the cap, so what does that leave - $2M? Okay, that's enough for 1/2 a season with Forsberg.

But I still don't see Nonis waiting until after Christmas & then bringing in an unknown commodity. It flies in the face of his team building ideas, unless you're trying to appease Markus, and really, why would you throw good money after bad? Plus, we all saw how greatly he influenced the #1 overall Preds when he joined them last year.

The deal still makes no sense.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

the deal breaker would be health. One could argue he wasn't healthy when he joined the preds, and the expectation would be that we wouldn't sign him unless he was, and had been testing it out for awhile. Then it becomes a little more plausible. Regardless, I think it's probably one of those things that will always turn out better in dreams than in real life. And yet, I don't want to be the ones left wondering "what if?..." for the next umpteen years.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

If I heard right Nonis said he wanted to start the season with $2 million in cap space. I presume that was space for any pickups he wanted to make at the trading deadline. Right now Nonis has $3.8 million in cap space left if he stays with the 13 forwards, 6 defencemen and 2 goalies. Even if he adds Edler to the lineup or re-signs Fitzpatrick and carries 22 players, that's still $3.3 million in cap space. The beauty of signing Forsberg would be that it wouldn't cost the Canucks any players, prospects or draft picks to do so. But the operative work here is IF. IF Forsberg can get healthy from foot, ankle and abdominal surgery. IF Forsberg wants to sign in Vancouver and IF he will sign a pro-rated contract. IF the Canucks can get off to a good start and be in a playoff position by the time Forsberg is healthy. IF the Canucks don't have a rash of injuries forcing Nonis to blow his cap space on replacement players.
Biggie
AHL Prospect

Foppa Rumors

Post by Biggie »

I received an email from a friend of a friend who supposedly ran into Forsberg at a bar in Stockholm.

There are three pics, but don't know how to attach. Will email if you like, pretty funny actually.

Potentially Forsberg signs later in the season, he might be better off only playing a half season or so and would save cap space.

Take it for what it is:

Picture 1: Initial encounter - Foppa was jacked to see us. Alpha-male bonding took place immediately.

Picture 2: The fellas having a sly chuckle after our puck discussion.

Picture 3: My personal favourite. Petey realizes he's quite possibly more drunk than Mats and needs to get the f*ck home.

Fellas,

Some interesting news that transpired over the weekend...

I was up in Stockholm with a renegade squad consisting of a few of the Princeton boys some of you may remember from the Montreal days. After a weekend of terrorizing stunning Swedish blondes, puking in cabs and taking down breakfast scotches, our trip culminated in a chance encounter with Foppa at a club called Hell's Kitchen late Saturday night. We pick up the conversation here, after the schoolgirl excitement had already come to pass:

PF: (incredibly sweaty and drunk): You guys are outrageous, where the hell are you from?

One lad from Toronto speaks up, announcing he's from the so-called 'center of the universe', where good hockey hasn't been played in decades and the organization is in shambles.

Peter laughs: leaves fans eh? You guys gotta get downstairs - Sundin is here! He's so fucking drunk and hitting on everything!

After a good howl, Peter turns to me, realizing I didn't share the excitement for the blue and white: How about you, where are you from?

PC: I'm from Vancouver - I understand you had a conversation with our boy Markus a few days ago...

PF: Yeah Markus called me up on Wednesday, we talked for about 2 hours on the phone - he's one of my oldest and closest friends.

PC: Very cool, he's a pretty classy guy. So what do you think about coming to play for the Canucks?

PF: I'd love to play for you. I have so many friends on the team, and I love the city. It's a beautiful place and one of my favourite in the world. Plus I think that they have one of the best chances of winning the cup of any team in the league.

PC: So are we going to do this then Peter? Are you coming to Van? Are we going to bring home a cup?

PF: (looking me in the eye): Things are looking VERY good for you right now.

PC: (huge grin on his face): That's all I needed to hear.

We all then threw a few more high fives, giggled like children on Christmas, bid farewell to Forsberg and headed downstairs to get back to

the blondes and rage with that drunk lady-killer Mats.

I'm not going to lie to you...the way he said that to me made it seem like a done deal, like he had already been convinced.
Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star

yeah I don't see it happening....

But I would love it would.
Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star

So I guess no updates and no pictures, eh?

yeah I don't think this took place.
Biggie
AHL Prospect

Post by Biggie »

Still don't know how to insert an image. Happy to email over. Let me know your email address and I will send over tonight or tomorrow.
Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star