Anson Carter

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Anson Carter:

If I was Nonis, I'd go after Carter.

-Proven chemistry with the Sedin twins
-Can be had at a pretty decent discounted price
-Carter playing with the Sedins alllows other lines to have more depth (i.e. Isbister, Pyatt, etc.).

I'd even go as far as offering Carter the same offer that Nonis offered last year. Nonis welcomes Carter back with open arms, Carter's pride isn't wounded, and Carter regains his old magic with the twins.

I'd vote yes for Carter.
Reverend Smack
CC Veteran

Post by Reverend Smack »

Anson is a washed up never was. Didn't Dave Semenko score 30 goals one year...I believe Gretzky bounced pucks off his ass into the net fairly often that year. Point being Carter only scored 30+ goals because the Sedins were gift wrapping opportunities for him. Pyatt and Isbister are clearly the way to go
Farhan quote " I'd even go as far as offering Carter the same offer that Nonis offered last year. Nonis welcomes Carter back with open arms, Carter's pride isn't wounded, and Carter regains his old magic with the twins" :shock:
Dude if you ran an NHL team it would be bamckrupt within the first 3 months. I am hoping that quote was just an attempt at sarcasm
The truth may hurt...but it is still the Truth...Have a nice day :)
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Jyrki21 wrote:
Grizzly wrote: Throw that in with the fact that when contracts came up for the two Pyatt signed to stay and Carter looked to move ... for these reasons I stay with Pyatt and politely say no to Carter.
The Canucks only had so much cap room. They offered Carter $1.8 million, and couldn't offer him more. So you're saying rather than see what he could get, Carter should have just accepted it, no questions asked? Left $700,000 on the table?

Pyatt signed for about fair market value too. If the Canucks had said $900,000, take it or leave it, with no room for negotiation, there's no reason to think he would have signed either.
I guess thats the business part of pro sports ... so no your right Carter maybe shouldn't have just accepted it with no questions asked. It certainly is his option to test the market ... on the other hand ... if the Canucks did have cap room do you think they should have paid him what he was asking ?? Probably not ... the differences were too far apart.

... I think when a player and management want the deal to work as they both see it as being in their best interest for each other they somehow make it work ... In Carters case I think both sides felt that it wasn't in their best interests. If the Canucks really thought Carter was the next best thing to sliced bread they would have somehow made the room for him on their roster... you just do that if you really believe in a player or person.

I am not saying thats the case with Pyatt ... clearly the differences in what Pyatt was expecting and the Canucks were offering was much closer than in Carters case ... consequently the deal worked out.

Grizz
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Reverend Smack wrote: Dude if you ran an NHL team it would be bamckrupt within the first 3 months. I am hoping that quote was just an attempt at sarcasm
Maybe, but consider this. :P

-Carter has proved that he has chemistry with the Sedins'
-Carter has now proved that he is useless without the Sedins'.
-Carter, when playing with the twins, PLAYS like a guy worth 1.5 mill+ (i.e. 33 goals in 05/06).
-Carter isn't young, but is only in his early 30's.

Most people want the Canucks to make a huge trade for a superstar RW'er, so that he can play with the Sedins'.

My argument is that Carter, for far less money, has already proven that he can score tons of goals playing with the twins.

I concede that my comment of "I'd pay Carter 1.5 mill" is....a little absurd" but I'd still take Carter at a relatively cheap price (1 mill?).. Carter may be worth less than $1 mill. on any other team, but not in Vancouver.

With his chemistry with the twins, Carter could be extremely valuable to our power play.

And again - we wouldn't have to spend $4-5 mill on a superstar RW.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Reverend Smack wrote: Dude if you ran an NHL team it would be bamckrupt within the first 3 months. I am hoping that quote was just an attempt at sarcasm
Maybe, but consider this. :P

-Carter has proved that he has chemistry with the Sedins'
-Carter has now proved that he is useless without the Sedins'.
-Carter, when playing with the twins, PLAYS like a guy worth 1.5 mill+ (i.e. 33 goals in 05/06).
-Carter isn't young, but is only in his early 30's.

Most people want the Canucks to make a huge trade for a superstar RW'er, so that he can play with the Sedins'.

My argument is that Carter, for far less money, has already proven that he can score tons of goals playing with the twins.

I concede that my comment of "I'd pay Carter 1.5 mill" is....a little absurd" but I'd still take Carter at a relatively cheap price (1 mill?).. Carter may be worth less than $1 mill. on any other team, but not in Vancouver.

With his chemistry with the twins, Carter could be extremely valuable to our power play.

And again - we wouldn't have to spend $4-5 mill on a superstar RW.
Fair points Farhan ... the question then would be what do you do with Pyatt ...you have just signed him to a contract at 900k/yr ... he is 25 turning 26 ... Carter is 33 ... do you drop Pyatt a line, trade him or do you let him develop more with the Sedin's on the #1 line... could he potentially score 30+ goals with the Sedins at only 900k a year ? .

Carter has had one good season (with the Sedin's) in the last 5 ... other than that he had 25 goals with the Oil in 02-03 and 28 goals with the Oil in 01-02. Your points regarding his play with the Sedins are certainly well taken however the question remains as to whether he could duplicate that feat.

I guess you have to weigh Pyatt's potential vs Carters potential and determine the price for each ... which one is worth more to your club ... short term ? long term ? Not saying you can't have both, but adjustments would definitely have to be made if Carter was acquired ... also ... where does Isbister fit in ? I am assuming either second or third line depending on depth.

Another question ...are there any other younger players up and coming that might be or would potentially have their development affected with the acquisition of Carter ?

... good discussion ...
:)
Grizz
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

I'd take him back at $1M, but for reasons of pride, I don't expect him to take anything but the most outrageous offer.

As for Pyatt, I thought Nonis originally said he didn't see Pyatt in a top six role? Has that changed now that he's being paid what he is?

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Carter
Naslund - Morrison - Cooke
Pyatt - Kesler - Shannon
Cowan - Ritchie - Linden
Burrows/Isbister (one for depth, one for farm)
Mark
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Cornuck wrote:Image
LOL.

It's funny that you posted that. Everytime I type 'Canucks should "get Carter"', I always end up thinking about that movie. :D.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Grizzly wrote:
Fair points Farhan ... the question then would be what do you do with Pyatt ...you have just signed him to a contract at 900k/yr ... he is 25 turning 26 ... Carter is 33 ... do you drop Pyatt a line, trade him or do you let him develop more with the Sedin's on the #1 line... could he potentially score 30+ goals with the Sedins at only 900k a year ? .

Grizz
Hey Grizz,

Excellent question! Personally, I'd consider putting Pyatt on a line with Naslund and Morrison (WCE part deux?).

Pyatt, like Bertuzzi, is a big kid with some natural talent. If Pyatt can pick up the intensity a bit (ok...a LOT :P), perhaps a Naslund/Morrison/Pyatt line can resemble the old WCE (although under Veenyo's current system, they wouldn't be nearly as high flying).

On the other hand, I really loved Morrison's chemistry with Matt Cooke last season. Cooke-Morrison and either Linden or Cowan were very good with one another. Maybe Kesler could center Naslund and Pyatt? (although with Kesler's speed, perhaps he should stick on RW?).

All in all, I think Pyatt is one of the few Canucks (last year) that proved that he could produce on occassion WITHOUT the Twins. Pyatt is still young enough where he can get better, and so I'm not worried about where Pyatt plays.
Reverend Smack
CC Veteran

Post by Reverend Smack »

I would stick with developing youth over a guy that has certainly hit his peak and is on the decline. I liked Anson, but now I am liking Pyatt and Hansen more...Isbister could be a pleasant surprise as well. Carter would have to come for around the 800G mark before I would consider taking him back.
The truth may hurt...but it is still the Truth...Have a nice day :)
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Carter for 500k, 15k bonus for each goal he scores off his stick and not off his rear end.

scores 30, and he'll have a 950k cap hit.

Nonis should really offer this to him, he flunks out with twins, not as big of a cap hit, he exceeds, more goals for us.

and he does have "some" intensity, which our team does seem to lack.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Jelly wrote:Carter for 500k, 15k bonus for each goal he scores off his stick and not off his rear end.

scores 30, and he'll have a 950k cap hit.
Jelly, just a clarification; the cap hit would be 950 whether he gets the 30 or just one anyways.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

that's something different from what I understood..

lemme go read that up...
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Carter's too young and not broken enough for bonuses.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Meerschaum wrote:Carter's too young and not broken enough for bonuses.
I like the idea with Carter though to have a performance bonus plan ... He is not a player that should automatically get the cash based on past performance ... his past performance IMO has been inconsistent.

Thats where I think the performance clause will work ... if he can produce as he says he can then he gets paid ... both parties are happy ... if he doesn't produce then the Nucks aren't out of pocket ... the risk is reduced per se. Not sure if he would go for it but I think thats fair. The only problem with that is if he doesn't produce right away and AV drops him a line would he have reason to balk because he isn't getting the quality time etc. with top players.

Grizz