CKNW rumours - AARON MILLER SIGNED confirmed

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

CKNW rumours - AARON MILLER SIGNED confirmed

Post by tantalum » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:23 pm

I didn't hear it myself but apparently CKNW is reporting that the canucks are close to a deal with Aaron Miller and have expressed on interest in Nils Ekman though haven't talked contract with him.

Miller better be coming with a huge paycut. Nothing over $1 mil makes any sort of sense for a #6 guy unless Nonis has a trade brewing.

Ekman is a RWer but a left handed shooting one. Might be a good project guy for the top 6. Would still need a guarantee among the top 6 IMO via the trade route.

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:32 pm

as per Team1040 its a done DEAL . More to come...

hope you dont mine tant I added a couple details to your thread so someone doesnt post dupes.
Last edited by mattola on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:34 pm

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:41 pm

The Canucks' stackèd defense corps gets stackèder.

Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:50 pm

I don't get it... is he our #5/6 guy now? I wonder what the price tag is... Big crease-clearing type, but will he scare people away from Lou? I'm not as psyched on this as I'd like to be, someone tell me he's gods gift to defensive defensemen...? 6'4 200lbs is nice, we've definitely beefed up a bit as a team since last season now

*edit* After reading this I feel better about the signing, I just wonder if it's setting up a deal or if DNreally pulled a rabbit out of his hat and got him to sign for cheap and we're going in with a stacked defense. and as that article mentions, his Wikipedia page has some interesting info on him:
Many of Miller's patented defensive moves have been given nicknames after such rollercoasters as "The Magnum 2000" and "The Comet," due to his off season pursuit of the world's tallest roller coasters. He has been seen waiting in long lines for the front seat of rollercoasters, at amusement parks across America in the off season.

His deceptive speed and uncanny agility has allowed Miller not only to survive in the NHL, but to flourish, avoiding would be checking lines in order to get "up ice" and "pinch" to join the offense at opportune moments.

Division rivals have grown to fear and respect Miller's timely use of the body and his effective poke check. The Phoenix Coyotes in particular have been susceptible to Miller's most controversial move "The Rollercoaster."
Last edited by Badfish on Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:58 pm

Well I'm still concerned about the contract but if it's cheap, it's a good signing. I feel Bourdon should be in the A next year and this is a closer step to him being there.

EDIT: At one time I wanted Ekman on the team, but now I'm not so sure.
Last edited by Linden Is God on Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:00 pm

My own guess is this: Nonis wants to add offense. He can't seem to do that at a legitimate price.

So by signing a defensive-defenseman, he accomplishes two things: (1) compensates for the lack of offense it looks more and more like the Canucks will have; (2) invites Lukas Krajicek to play more offensively this coming season, by giving him a more responsible partner, hoping to add offense that way.

nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:11 pm

Eklund says on his blog that Canucks are trying to get Gionta. So maybe they're shoring up on defence in case of a big trade? You never know. But I like this signing. I'm hearing it was for $1 mil, but I'm not sure yet.

nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:16 pm

ps - gionta is a RH shot :whistle:

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:22 pm

Eklund also said we were going after Elias

I dont really think Eklund is very trustworthy.

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:25 pm

Miller is a great pick up. Comparing him to Sopel, well, there's no comparison.

Great move, DN.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

headspacej
AHL Prospect

Post by headspacej » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:30 pm

It looks like Miller was right beside Sopel on the Kings' depth chart last year -- similar ice time (around 20 minutes per game) and salary ($2.28M for Miller, $2.4M for Sopel). Miller has a decent reputation as a defensive defenseman, but he's 35 and not particularly speedy. A curious signing, unless he's going to be making a lot less money than he has in the past.

I realize that there are lots of people here who aren't fans of Sopel, but his plus/minus was way better than Miller's and he made similar money last year. They're different types of players for sure, but I didn't think he looked like a liability as a fill-in for the Canucks in the playoffs when they had injury issues, and he occasionally adds a bit of offense. There seemed to be the sense that the Canucks couldn't "afford" to resign Sopel this year, but it makes me wonder...

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:32 pm

nucks_girl wrote:ps - gionta is a RH shot :whistle:
Gionta is also 5'8"... I'm all for smaller quicker forwards, but playing with Naslund and Morrison he wouldn't exactly have anyone to make space for him. He'd get eaten alive in the Northwest.

As for Miller... I don't really understand the signing. Unless this is a preemptive measure to trade one of our top 4 D-men (which I sure as hell hope it's not), I can't see why the #6 spot can't be given to Edler or Bourdon. $1M is quite expensive for a #6 guy, especially for a team so close to the cap still lacking a top 6 forward.

Miller is big, but it's not like size on D has ever been a problem for us. I can only imagine he's going to be Krajicek's permanent partner so as Jyrki said he can be more involved offensively. Krajicek looked incredible at the start of the year when he was paired with Mitchell, but really faded after that.

I can only assume there is more to come.

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:37 pm

$2.28M for Miller last year? I cant see him taking less than $1.5 or even $2M for the way Dmen are in demand and are being overpaid. This seems like depth to replace a guy like Fitz but Miller is far better than Fitz. Maybe Im overreading it but it may smell of trade.

nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:42 pm

Yeah this is pretty much ridiculously good. As much as I love to see goals, I love even more to see wins. I mean seriously, if hockey were a game played only by defencemen and goalies, we'd have the best team in the league ;)

Of course it strengthens our team...but if it ends up costing us the chance to buy a decent scorer, I'm less excited....