Oilers offer Vanek offer sheet -$50M - Sabres Match

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1946
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: 50° 10' North / 8° 34' East

Post by Cookie La Rue » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:37 am

I'm just thinking of who's more braindead, Lowe or Regier. :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

User avatar
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:51 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON
Contact:

Post by Jyrki21 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:48 am

tantalum wrote:It's a desperate move by Lowe and a stupid one. but it isn't stupid for the reason of offering a RFA a big contract. It's stupid because Buffalo was always going to match and it was obvious. Lowe didn't need Regeir to tell him the Sabres were going to match yet Regeir did just that last night.
Exactly; this particular genie was taken out of its bottle last summer with the Kesler signing, and 29 general managers were unanimous that no sane GM would let a decent player escape this way, thus it was nothing but a petty, inflationary move on Clarke's part.

How much worse is it now where we're talking about 7 M's and a player with far higher upside than Kesler? All Lowe has done is mess up arbitration rulings for years. I'm curious to hear leaguewide reaction, especially from one particular "Anah"-nymous general manager who verbally ripped Clarke a new one last year.
Image

User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Post by tantalum » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:51 am

Jyrki21 wrote:
tantalum wrote:It's a desperate move by Lowe and a stupid one. but it isn't stupid for the reason of offering a RFA a big contract. It's stupid because Buffalo was always going to match and it was obvious. Lowe didn't need Regeir to tell him the Sabres were going to match yet Regeir did just that last night.
Exactly; this particular genie was taken out of its bottle last summer with the Kesler signing, and 29 general managers were unanimous that no sane GM would let a decent player escape this way, thus it was nothing but a petty, inflationary move on Clarke's part.

How much worse is it now where we're talking about 7 M's and a player with far higher upside than Kesler? All Lowe has done is mess up arbitration rulings for years. I'm curious to hear leaguewide reaction, especially from one particular "Anah"-nymous general manager who verbally ripped Clarke a new one last year.
Arbitration ruling will be screwed up but all it really does is make salaries more disparate. Players can only earn a certain amount and you can bet the NHLPA isn't all that happey with it's younger membership taking these huge deals. What it will eventually do is kill the market for the older players and your third and fourth liners will be forced to start taking near minimum instead of $1.5 mil.

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:43 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Post by randymeeks » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:38 pm

Living in Edmonton, I can tell you just how desperate Lowe is.

This guy is trying to keep his job. As this team stands right now, it's a virtual lock the Oilers will be dead last in the league and will be an absolute laughingstock this upcoming season.

Mark my words guys. Kevin Lowe is not even close to being done signing restricted free agents.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.

User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Post by ClamRussel » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:57 am

I'm shocked Buffalo matched that for $50million-yikes!
Edmonton would have gotten their just desserts if Buffalo had walked & taken the picks.
I know Vanek is good but how good will he be w/o Drury & Briere in the lineup? We shall see.
The days of just letting players become RFAs and not sweating it are long over. Thats now potentially the most dangerous type of free agent now because it can really handcuff a team. Buffalo is now paying $3 or 4million more than they should be for the forseable future.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

User avatar
VHF
CC Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:28 pm
Location: Vancouver - Yaletown
Contact:

Post by VHF » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:59 am

ClamRussel wrote:I'm shocked Buffalo matched that for $50million-yikes!
Edmonton would have gotten their just desserts if Buffalo had walked & taken the picks.
I know Vanek is good but how good will he be w/o Drury & Briere in the lineup? We shall see.
The days of just letting players become RFAs and not sweating it are long over. Thats now potentially the most dangerous type of free agent now because it can really handcuff a team. Buffalo is now paying $3 or 4million more than they should be for the forseable future.
Vanek did not play with with Drury & Briere, even on the PP. He played on the 3rd line (8th in ice time amongst Sabre forwards) and 2nd PP unit with Afinogenov and Roy/Connolly. He will play 3-4 more minutes per game next season, however he'll face more 1st line opposition as well.

User avatar
VHF
CC Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:28 pm
Location: Vancouver - Yaletown
Contact:

Post by VHF » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:06 am

I think Vanek's contract offers better value than the contracts for Briere, Drury and Gomez. He's the real deal and will be a top 10 forward in the NHL for years to come IMO. I don't fault Lowe for trying, Vanek is worth the 4 1st round picks. Halfway through his contract, Vanek may be viewed as a bargain.

User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Post by ClamRussel » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:24 am

VHF wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:I'm shocked Buffalo matched that for $50million-yikes!
Edmonton would have gotten their just desserts if Buffalo had walked & taken the picks.
I know Vanek is good but how good will he be w/o Drury & Briere in the lineup? We shall see.
The days of just letting players become RFAs and not sweating it are long over. Thats now potentially the most dangerous type of free agent now because it can really handcuff a team. Buffalo is now paying $3 or 4million more than they should be for the forseable future.
Vanek did not play with with Drury & Briere, even on the PP. He played on the 3rd line (8th in ice time amongst Sabre forwards) and 2nd PP unit with Afinogenov and Roy/Connolly. He will play 3-4 more minutes per game next season, however he'll face more 1st line opposition as well.
Where did I say he did?

User avatar
VHF
CC Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:28 pm
Location: Vancouver - Yaletown
Contact:

Post by VHF » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:46 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
VHF wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:I'm shocked Buffalo matched that for $50million-yikes!
Edmonton would have gotten their just desserts if Buffalo had walked & taken the picks.
I know Vanek is good but how good will he be w/o Drury & Briere in the lineup? We shall see.
The days of just letting players become RFAs and not sweating it are long over. Thats now potentially the most dangerous type of free agent now because it can really handcuff a team. Buffalo is now paying $3 or 4million more than they should be for the forseable future.
Vanek did not play with with Drury & Briere, even on the PP. He played on the 3rd line (8th in ice time amongst Sabre forwards) and 2nd PP unit with Afinogenov and Roy/Connolly. He will play 3-4 more minutes per game next season, however he'll face more 1st line opposition as well.
Where did I say he did?
Perhaps its just the way you worded it. If that's not what you meant, then why would Vanek's ability come through any differently if Drury & Briere weren't on the bench watching him?

User avatar
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1946
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: 50° 10' North / 8° 34' East

Post by Cookie La Rue » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:49 pm

Because the opponents top d-men won't be watching him either ? ;)

Without Drury/Briere the focus of attention will be on Vanek a lot more than last season.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

User avatar
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:44 am

Post by mattola » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:48 am

Im starting to think Buff should have let him go. 4 first rounders and some talented UFAs next year make it worthwhile.

User avatar
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 663
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:51 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON
Contact:

Post by Jyrki21 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:50 am

mattola wrote:Im starting to think Buff should have let him go. 4 first rounders and some talented UFAs next year make it worthwhile.
Buffalo still has a lot of up-and-comers and the chance to remain a good team. They've got Kotalik, Afinogenov, Stafford, Roy, Pominville as well as Vanek up front... nothing to sneeze at! I think it would be seen as a defeatist move to let him go for picks, and they're not at that stage of desperation yet.
Image

User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Post by ClamRussel » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:48 pm

VHF wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
VHF wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:I'm shocked Buffalo matched that for $50million-yikes!
Edmonton would have gotten their just desserts if Buffalo had walked & taken the picks.
I know Vanek is good but how good will he be w/o Drury & Briere in the lineup? We shall see.
The days of just letting players become RFAs and not sweating it are long over. Thats now potentially the most dangerous type of free agent now because it can really handcuff a team. Buffalo is now paying $3 or 4million more than they should be for the forseable future.
Vanek did not play with with Drury & Briere, even on the PP. He played on the 3rd line (8th in ice time amongst Sabre forwards) and 2nd PP unit with Afinogenov and Roy/Connolly. He will play 3-4 more minutes per game next season, however he'll face more 1st line opposition as well.
Where did I say he did?
Perhaps its just the way you worded it. If that's not what you meant, then why would Vanek's ability come through any differently if Drury & Briere weren't on the bench watching him?
I worded it exactly how I wanted it. See Cookie's response and yes it makes a BIG deal having depth. Vanek is now the target and last year he wasn't.

By the by, after Roy killed penalties Ruff would usually come out w/ Vanek-Briere-Afinogenov immediately.

Post Reply