Bert to Ducks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

He may have added size with Bertuzzi but he also added an attitude, immense ego, often lazy player and more penalties.
2 years of no hockey can change a guy. Especially a guy who Burke knows how to talk to (as in: this is your last chance to change your hockey name history)...

The only thing I would be concerned with is that if Selanne and Nied's DON'T retire, then the ducks will become sellers in the next couple weeks as they are all out of cap space...which could be good for us...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
The only thing I would be concerned with is that if Selanne and Nied's DON'T retire, then the ducks will become sellers in the next couple weeks as they are all out of cap space...which could be good for us...
I wouldnt be concerned about that at all :)
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

ververgaert wrote:Obviously Burke knows the bullshit that the media was feeding to us all was complete crap about Todd's lokeroom behavior. The only distraction about Todd was the media's inability to get over the fact that Todd had little time or respect for them. Tough break for us fans.
I tend to agree with this, from everything you hear from any of the players Bert's played with, Canucks or Team Canada he seems to be a good guy. If a guy like Gretzky endorses him time after time, there's got to be something there. Sure he's a bit pouty to the media, but to be honest if I were in his shoes sometimes in those post-game scrums I'd be pretty bitchy too. I know it comes with the territory but the guy's only human.

Also I know it's Canuck propaganda, but a friend of mine had a season re-cap DVD of...the 2002 season? or 03? in it you see Bert in the studio with some team mates filiming some Q&A's, promo type stuff. Bert's the guy making everyone laugh and has the great big smile everywhere he goes. At one point Nazzy I think it is makes a sarcastic comment about how Bert's so gruff and grumbly. Bert mumbles something also sarcastic along the lines of "thats what the papers would have you think". Meanwhile he's cracking jokes.

I always liked Bert, even when he left Van. I hope he does have a good season, but I was desperately hoping he would go back to the East. I don't like the idea of playing him...6 times? I wonder how the reception will be at his first game back in the garage? An inspired Bert is a great thing to watch, it just scares me that playing in Vancouver again might be just the motivation for great games (ala Sakic). In the playoffs? Scary thought. So I have conflicting emotions. I'd love to see Bert back in form.... but hope Selane returns and Bert has to be somehow traded to the East....? It could happen.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

i love Bertuzzi as well, and i want nothing but see that guy do well... except against us. do you think people will boo him in vancouver?? i would like to think our fans have a bit more class than that... hell, do you think they may boo him in anaheim?? i was also hoping he would return to the east somewhere, so i guess now we hope that selanne comes back so they need to do some shuffling with their roster
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

tuzzi44 wrote:i love Bertuzzi as well, and i want nothing but see that guy do well... except against us. do you think people will boo him in vancouver??
I absolutely, 100%, positively guarantee it. On the one hand, people kind of have a legitimate reason to, as Vancouver was the only market where people were still willing to give him a chance, still supported him through everything, and still wanted him to succeed. He turned his back on the city both by hinting -- sometime more openly than others -- that he'd like a new start (by definition somewhere more hostile, since every place was more hostile to him than Vancouver) and, more importantly, by his indifferent play.

On the other hand, even if Bertuzzi was an absolute saint, people in Vancouver would boo him, because unfortunately many of our team's fans don't seem to understand when a person is supposed to boo. Canuck fans -- perhaps uniquely in the NHL -- boo players who have done nothing more than sign elsewhere as unrestricted free agents under a cap system (Jovanovski and Carter), players who wronged one of the Canucks' top rivals to the great advantage of Vancouver (Pronger), and boo -- rather than drown out -- the cheers of visiting fans.

Bertuzzi will most definitely be booed, and I really don't see the point.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Jyrki21 wrote:and boo -- rather than drown out -- the cheers of visiting fans.
This is something that's always driven me crazy! The same thing with the chanting of Goalie names. Some goalies I can understand, at certain times. But chanting "Tuurrrcoooo" in the 3rd period of a 0-0 tie is absolutely ridiculous. The guy's playing a stellar game! I know it's meant to get him off his game but often it just motivates the player even more.

Instead I'd much rather hear the entire arena chanting "Go Canucks GO!" or something positive towards our own team, as opposed to something negative towards our opponents. same goes for the Leaf's fans cheering, don't boo, but drown them the fuck out by chanting harder! I'm sure hearing a full stadium boo'ing is never an uplifting thing when you're on the ice, but a whole crowd behind you sure would be.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Badfish wrote:
Jyrki21 wrote:and boo -- rather than drown out -- the cheers of visiting fans.
This is something that's always driven me crazy! The same thing with the chanting of Goalie names. Some goalies I can understand, at certain times. But chanting "Tuurrrcoooo" in the 3rd period of a 0-0 tie is absolutely ridiculous. The guy's playing a stellar game! I know it's meant to get him off his game but often it just motivates the player even more.
The booing of Turco during the Dallas series drove me absolutely batshit insane. It seemed every time it started he would make a ridiculous save/they would score. It was alright during the first game (at least the first three periods) because he looked like playoff Turco and he seemed tense. In all the subsequent games he was incredible, and he always seemed to get better when GM place tried to get him off his game. It was annoying.

As for Bertuzzi, I hope noone boos him. After the 02/03 season I really started to despise his play. After all the crap of Burke negotiating his contract through the media and it winding up with him getting an insane Deal, I thought his play was lazy and indifferent. Long before the Steve Moore incident I'd soured to him. And while I may not cheer very hard when he does eventually return to GM place, I sure as hell won't boo him. He was too important of a player on this team for too long to insult him in that way.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

levelheaded, i completely aggree. yeah so bertuzzi has had a few rough seasons here where his play has been somewhateber uninspired, but damn it hes had some good ones here. we can all think of a great goal hes scored in a canucks uniform. would you boo a guy like Ohlund?? i doubt it. im gonna stick with what i said earlier... i hope he has a killer season... except against us!
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

I 'm with you levelheaded...I wish him well, just as long as its not at the expense of our team hehe.

I am glad he's not on the team, as like you said, his play was lazy and indifferent...and that started from the Minnesota series and on.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I wish him well and pray that its at the expense of the Canucks. It would serve D.N, the stinkin local skirtwearing media and the fans that gulped down there kool-aid right right.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Can't blame DN for trading Bert, I believe both the team and Bert himself were clear they needed a fresh start. Everyone knew Bert had to go, yet Nonis still manages to get Luongo out of the deal. Not too shabby when everyone already knew his hand...

**Post 420 btw... woo!**
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler »

I wish him the best of luck and believe Anaheim could be a good fit for him.

The league desperatly needs more stars to regain some of its pre-lockout credability.

When Dancing with the Stars gets better ratings than the cup final, the players,owners and admin. better pull together or hockey will become even more of a fringe sport than its already become.
joecheesy
AHL Prospect

Post by joecheesy »

I'm not booing Bert. Straightarming/facewashing Gill as he takes the puck to the net with one hand and stuffs it in gets permanent respect from me.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

With the laid back, or not caring aspect of the Duck's fan base, I think it would be a good fit. Bert wouldn't be harassed, unless Pratt decides to drive down to Anaheim to interview him. Less annoyed Bert equals more focused Bert, we might be able to see some old Bert glory back, which, is for the best of hockey.

Imagine more Bertuzzi clone of Power forwards in a few years, that'd be great.

and looks like he'll be wearing #4, a traditionally defensemen's number.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.