No UFA deals by Canucks on July 1

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

No UFA deals by Canucks on July 1

Post by Meerschaum » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:14 pm

Nonis has now publicly stated what all folks who own a calculator and who have looked at the 'Nucks salaries for 07/08 have always understood. The Nucks will not be players in this offseason's UFA market.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211782&hubname=nhl

"I don't expect us to be major players on July 1," said Canucks GM Dave Nonis. "I think July 1 is a very exciting day that's great for the fans, but it's not the best place to build your hockey team. If you can augment your lineup and add a couple players in free agency that's great, but it's becoming increasingly expensive to sign free agents.

"We're not looking to July 1 to solve all of our problems. We'd like to solve a couple if we can through free agency, but I don't see it as a time when we're going to be very, very active."
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:30 pm

I agree with his philosophy on UFA signings. We got a really great deal with Mitchell and kinda lucky as well (did we know he would be that GOOD)

Bulis sort of worked out in the end once he changed his role and attitude and I would bring him back (yes I would)

Shannon is a nice risk to take and maybe he can make the team next year and actually contribute. Im excited to see what he has to offer for us. Im not expecting an explosion from him but if he can contribute on the 3rd and 4th line I would be very happy with that deal. A Healthy Kesler and Cooke is like having new players this upcoming season.

We can add a couple more $1M guys we might be a really solid team.

Nonis has my 100% support on anything he does this upcoming season.

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:14 pm

To add as well. dont rule out a trade or two to bring in some new blood. there is someone out there that will market Morrison. package that with a prospect (schneider) and we might get something really decent back

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:45 pm

Nonis said on TSN, and I found this to be the most intriguing part of the interview, that he is working on improving the team, and not meaning UFA signings.

So if deals are potentially in the works, they'll either involve trading picks/prospects for young forwards, or trading salary for cap space (ie dumping Mo with the idea of taking a run at Drury/Gomez).
Eyes on the Prize

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:10 pm

I'm not sold on any big free agent signings (ala Drury, Gomez, Smyth etc.) the teams that have tried it in the past rarely suceed (look at the Rangers pre-lockout, or Boston post-lockout). It's fairly obvious there are a few holes up front we need to fill, and Mo COULD be expendable (but there aren't that many 2nd line centres that are any better for less money). I'd prefer to wait and spend our cap space on some role players and maybe trade for a right winger.

As Mattola said, I have complete faith in Nonis right now.

Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:32 am

I am not thinking that DN will be overly active but I do think he will be somewhat active ... possibly moving a player or two to allow him to make a UFA signing ... certainly there are some areas he needs to address and I believe he knows that. Having said that though I don't think he will sell the farm to fill them.

Nonetheless it is still an exciting time of year as other GM's go on bidding frenzies !!

Grizz

Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:40 pm

mattola wrote:A Healthy Kesler and Cooke is like having new players this upcoming season.

Completely agree with this. Having Kesler and Cooke back will make a big difference (provided they stay healthy) especially as the sparkplug, or energy type players. Neither are total game breakers, but either one can definitely wear on a team and play in your face hockey.

I also think that DN will be at least trying to make some moves this summer, although not necessarily on July 1st or anything... I wouldn't be too surprised to see a trade at some point, and/or a few minor signings. Who and what is anyone's guess, but I agree with levelheaded on Mo, for the money, he's a pretty good 2nd line centre to back up Henrik*, and we all know with the right players he can play on a top line sufficiently.

Also, looking at our cap space as Mooger35 has it:
Mooger's Cap Outline
Total: 44,637,000

So with a $50.3 cap that leaves us with 5,663,000 remaining. Have a cushion of about $1.5 and I guess with 3 positions to fill we should have about $4.5 million to spend.

Shannon will be one of those spots and he'll probably be in the neighborhood of $700,000
Assuming the estimates are generally right, (Nice work Mooger btw) we've got 4.5 to spend on 3 players; 2 forwards and our back up. If Shannon is one at around 700 000, and our back up is at the same price or less, that leaves us with 3.1 for our new forward. Assuming none of this changes with a trade, that could be a decent piece to play on one of our top 2 lines.

Looking at the list again though, I'm also wondering if Bourdon will be good enough to stick, and what happens to his salary if he doesn't? Either way, we're not in too bad a spot right now, I feel slightly better then last year trying to figure out who our last roster spots would be post-Luongo deal.
Last edited by Badfish on Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:47 am

mattola wrote:I agree with his philosophy on UFA signings. We got a really great deal with Mitchell and kinda lucky as well (did we know he would be that GOOD)

Bulis sort of worked out in the end once he changed his role and attitude and I would bring him back (yes I would)

Shannon is a nice risk to take and maybe he can make the team next year and actually contribute. Im excited to see what he has to offer for us. Im not expecting an explosion from him but if he can contribute on the 3rd and 4th line I would be very happy with that deal. A Healthy Kesler and Cooke is like having new players this upcoming season.

Even with a higher cap space to $50.3, Dave Nonis cannot just go out and sign anyone due to all the committed contracts he has in place. If he doesn't trade a Morrison or a Naslund (or even a Cooke), the smart thing for him to do is to 'lay low' and watch the fallout. For example, Pittsburgh picks up Dany Sabourin. What about Nolan Schaefer or even Jocelyn Thibault (unlikely) as the backup in Vancouver? The Rangers pick up Drury and Gomez. Where does that leave a guy like Peter Prucha or Matt Cullen? How about Daniel Briere in Philadelphia...where does that leave a Jeff Carter or a Mike Richards (unlikely Holmgren would be dumb enough to move young cheap talent but who knows?) The point is it would be wise for the Canucks to not make any hasty decisions and plug holes with guys who could fill a need.

Some players I would consider:

1. Andy Sutton - big, mean crease-clearing defenseman who could strike fear in any guy who wanted to mess with Roberto Luongo.
2. Nolan Schaeffer/Yan Danis to play in the minors (and partner with Schneider) with Macintyre possibly playing in Vancouver. If Luongo got injured, Vancouver could either use Macintyre or one of the Manitoba goalies.
3. Cheap, proven offensive talent. Jeff Friesen? Jeff O'Neil? Jason Allison? Anson Carter? Even Dave Scatchard? Each of these guys has knocks against them, but guess what - the Canucks can't afford to be choosy. Having one of those guys couild mean additional offensive power when the Canucks need it (ie. the playoffs).

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:56 am

It is worth mentioning that Nonis COULD spend up to $55 million in the offseason provided he's back down under the cap by Oct 1.

Could put a GM in a dangerous situation of having to give a guy or two away but it can provide Nonis with some wiggle room if he wants it.

Really the potential problem is if Nonis can not address the gaping holes on the RW via the trade market. He needs a legitimate top 6 guy on the RW and then probably a reclamation project or experiment to split time with Pyatt and maybe Shannon in the top 6 (depending on Shannon's camp...I think he may open some eyes). if he can't get it done with a good trade or two than the scenario may be that Nonis does not have his payroll balanced and he'll have to address that.