Nonis Pursuing the 2nd overall pick?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Nonis Pursuing the 2nd overall pick?

Post by levelheaded »

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8123

According to Philly GM Paul Holmgren he is...
"There's been a few calls, people fishing around to see if it is a possibility," Holmgren told me this afternoon. "Dave asked me, would you guys consider moving down and said we would. I had about 5-6 calls like that."

Holmgren said he would trade his No. 2 pick for a roster player or several picks.
I'm sure a ton of teams wouldn't mind drafting Turris, but seeing as it's a slow news day (Canucks-wise) I figured It would give us something to talk about until Friday evening.

A hometown kid with a ton of potential? I can see it happening, but I don't know why Nonis is in such a rush to make a splash. Having a blue chip prospect would be great, but this REALLY isn't the draft to move up in.

On top of that I'm not totally sold on Turris. I know good players have come out of the BCHL (Karyia, Hull etc.), but it REALLY isn't that great a league, and he wasn't even the leading scorer in it. I would prefer it if he'd played a year of College first... Whatever... This will probably amount to nothing, but it's fun to speculate.

EDIT: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article. ... 74614_5580

Sportsnet is reporting the same thing now too...
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

If anything, I'd say this IS the draft to move up in. Because this is such a deep draft, it'd be "safer" (a term Canucks drafting is giddy for) to move up and grab a player who could someday make a solid impact in the NHL rather than wash out or be marginal players. Turris, Kane, van Riemsdyck are all sure-fire NHLers but the rest of the draft... not so much.

But because there is so little talent the cost of getting one of the top 5 picks will be high.

Of the 4 big forwards, Kane, Turris, van Riemsdyck and Gagner, I'm most sold on Turris. He's committed to a very good Wisconsin program (produced Heatley) and I think overall freshmen NCAA players make the transition much easier than players who've played 1-2 seasons of major junior.

The BCHL isn't the best league by a long shot, but those who want to maintain their NCAA eligibility will play there. I think in the future players will opt to go the NCAA route rather than the major junior route. Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Phil Kessel, Jonathan Toews, and now Turris are players that jump to mind when talking NCAA hockey.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Also on TSN too

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211491&hubname=

I think this would be a sweet move. Let's be honest, I don't see the Canucks getting a chance for a top 5 pick as long as Luongo is here. Maybe Nonis is seeing this as the opportunity to draft some homegrown talent that has been missing in this franchise. Yes I know Mitchell is a BC boy, but it would be nice to draft some homegrown talent to grow with the team. I like the idea if Nonis can get Turris.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

This is a terrible draft to move up in!!!

Only a one or two quality NHL players will come out of this draft.

Every single player tagged for the first round has a question mark or seven beside his name this year:

KANE - too small.
VAN RIEMSDYK - too unskilled.
TURRIS - too thin and untested.
CHEREPANOV - never coming out of Russia.
GAGNER - more about his linemates than him.
VORACEK - Q is too soft.

Alzner is the only top ten pick who is guaranteed to make it in the NHL, IMHO.

Nonis should forget about the picks and focus on getting value for Schneider and trying to unload some of our more costly and unproductive forwards.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I don't believe that this years draft is a total bust as everyone seems to think. I feel that it's simply not top loaded with superstars. There will be some good players emerge from it in a couple of years and it is up to the scouts to recognize who has the potential and who doesn't. Is Kane too small? I don't think so, Fleury was smaller and how big is St. Louis? Turris is thin and he needs to bulk up and gain strength so Wisconsin is a great route for him. Voracek sounds pretty good to me, I don't think he's too soft. There are a ton of defensemen who while a little on the small side a few years ago just might be a great fit for the new NHL.

One rumour I did read was Kesler and our first to Philly for the number 2 overall. What do you guys think of that?
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

HappyCanuck wrote:I don't believe that this years draft is a total bust as everyone seems to think. I feel that it's simply not top loaded with superstars. There will be some good players emerge from it in a couple of years and it is up to the scouts to recognize who has the potential and who doesn't. Is Kane too small? I don't think so, Fleury was smaller and how big is St. Louis? Turris is thin and he needs to bulk up and gain strength so Wisconsin is a great route for him. Voracek sounds pretty good to me, I don't think he's too soft. There are a ton of defensemen who while a little on the small side a few years ago just might be a great fit for the new NHL.

One rumour I did read was Kesler and our first to Philly for the number 2 overall. What do you guys think of that?
I agree, it's not a total bust, but considering the amount of talent in 04, 05, and 06 this draft is weak.

I would do Kesler and our first to Philly for the second overall pick - provided that Chicago takes Kane, which I don't think they will. I think right now ridding Kesler's salary is a good business move and I fail to see how his talent and skills can't be replaced through minor trades or an UFA signing.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

If Turris did these numbers in the WHL, I would be excited about him, but he did them in a Junior B league? DN wants to move up to grab the local kid, I wouldn't, too much unanswered question about him.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I can't say I am completely up on whats out there as far as talent but if there is a possibility to get a young player that is truly a bonafide NHLer then I would consider it.... unfortunately though there never is really any guarantees.

And I guess for me since I have been following the Nucks for so long and am very aware of their drafting history, I am somewhat skeptical ... especially when they start trading away starting players for future possibilities... we'll see how it pans out though.

One way or another I think DN has something up his sleeve and we could see a bit of action today and tomorrow.

Grizz
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

If I was a local kid or had a son in this area I would pray to God day and night that he didn't go second overall to the Canucks.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister