Congrats to Anaheim Ducks and BRIAN BURKE and BRAD MAY

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

It's hard to argue against 100,000 phanton penalties that's for sure.

Going back to the beginning of the year or most of the first half, I recall thinking I didn't even like watching any of it anymore.
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

I missed a lot of the games once the Canucks were gone but, FWIW, what hockey I did watch in the final series was excellent hockey.

Regardless of the score there was absolutely outstanding puck movement at high speed.

It was like watching an all-star game with passion and hitting.

Though I was rooting for Ottawa, I didn't 'passionately' care who won; so the refs didn't piss me off so much and I could just enjoy watching skilled hockey.

In that respect, I wasn't disappointed.

The score, and recorded shots on goal, didn't reflect the scoring chances, and many of those chances were the result of great speed, complex plays, puck control and superb passes.
I thought Ottawa's offence played an excellent brand of hockey but they couldn't solve Anaheim's defence. I like the way Ottawa crosses the blue line, chipping the puck past the defender to be picked up at speed. It's no wonder Ottawa dominated against lesser teams.The ducks just refused to break down defensively and had enough offence to score when they needed to.

Maybe I just missed the boring parts you are referring to but the games I watched were fast, end for end, skilled and complex.

That, to me, is good hockey.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

There's actually a very easy correlation at work:

1) If you are interested, you will find the hockey 'good'

2) If you are not interested, you will find the hockey 'bad'

Simple as that.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Jyrki21 wrote:There's actually a very easy correlation at work:

Simple as that.
good point.

I did find the dominace of Anaheim Entertaining. But I did not like the overall series.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Jyrki21 wrote:There's actually a very easy correlation at work:

Simple as that.
Not even close.

I am always very interested in hockey. And the NHL was crap this year. I know, because of two things: 1) I've watched NHL hockey for damn near 40 years and 2)I watched a lot of it. Although to be fair, I watched less this year, owing to the quality.

The game isn't nearly as good, if only because you're unable to touch a guy anymore without incurring a penalty. Now, you might like skills competitions, i.e. shootouts, but it's not even real hockey, much less good hockey.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I'd have to agree with SRsez.

I mostly watched the Canucks naturally and althgough Luongo and Bieksa were fun to watch and the Sedins made alot of plays that brought me off the couch I would have to say that they reminded me too much of the Minnesota Wild.

While the west had better all around teams than the east I'd have to say the East wass more fun to watch. Atleast they played more wide open hockey.

But sadly it didn't seem to matter who you were watching the piss poor ref'ing ruined many a good game.

Iwould also like to congradulate the Ducks of Anahiem. For once my wishes came true.
A huge, mean ,tough team that led the N.H.L in both fighting majors and total PIM has run roughshood over the rest of the N.H.L. . It reminds this poster of the Broad Street Bullies of the 70's.

I would like to point out however that they did recieve alot of help from the officals with non-calls in the three series that I watched. They didn't need the help to win the cup as they were far and away the best team but they got it .

Hopefully Nonis was paying attention.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister