BERTUZZI and CARTER.....stupid or ingenius to bring em back?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

all i know guys, is that linden was happy when bertuzzi was traded. bertuzzi created havoc in the dressing room whether anyone wants to hear it or not. after having back surgery, who knows how he'll play for an entire season. he's not worth the risk of having our dressing room turn to shambles again. it was actually a lot worse than anyone in the media knew about.

trust me, it would be a bad idea. if somebody like linden is happy when a guy is traded, you don't bring that guy back to the team.
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

I wouldn't object to Carter coming back.
His proven chemistry with the twins, if it continues, would free Pyatt up for other roles and I could see Carter fitting in with AV's style.

But I just don't see Bert as a two-way player and he has never struck me as very coach-able.

As much as I'd like to see the WCE miraculously resurrected, the potential cons far outweigh the potential pros.

We definitely need to find a way of scoring an extra goal or two per game, but we need to find a guy that can do it without weakening the strengths AV has brought to the team this year.

If we're talking big bucks, I'd prefer Ryan Smith over Bert.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

whistler wrote:If we're talking big bucks, I'd prefer Ryan Smith over Bert.
Very good point, I've secretly been hoping DN pulls another wunderdeal and some how finds a way to land Smyth.... mmmm.... doubtful tho
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

If we're talking big bucks, I'd prefer Ryan Smith over Bert.
Could you imagine Smyth on the doorstep for the twins??? the guy would score 50.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

mmmmmm......... The last time I wanted a player this bad was....Luongo?

remember when we all used to say "Man, can you just imagine if we actually had a goalie like Roberto Lunogo? Can you imagine if Luongo was on the canucks? How amazing would that be?" It used to be a total pipe dream, often met with "yea right, it'll never happen buddy"... then bam! DN does the impossible. all we can do is hope! I'm drooling at the thought of it already...
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

There were rumours coming out here in Edmonton that Smyth wanted to play for the Canucks because it's close to home in Alberta and the Canucks have Luongo.

Never say never but it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that we need more toughness and grit. Smyth has both of those elements. But it would take about $6 million to get Smyth here so Naslund would have to waive his NTC for it to happen.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

If we spent 6 million on Smyth I'd cry.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

If we can lure Smyth here (hey, 5 million on a multi-year deal doesn't sound too bad) then it becomes a matter of who we get rid of to fit under the cap. Mo? Ohlund? We can't move Naslund but then I don't think we should.

Thing is, if Nonis gets Smyth to play with the Sedins (which make the most logical linemates for him IMHO) he has just made them the #1 line and everyone else can get in line behind them in terms of ice time and salary. I love Mo and think the injury bug is behind his sub-par performance but a top line of the twins and Smyth and one line with Nazzy and whoever is better than two lines of Mo-Naslund and the twins with spare-part wingers to fill them out.

My two cents.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Smyth would be incredible, but not for more then $5.25 million. I've wanted him standing in front of the net for the Sedins since Carter left, but we REALLY can't afford him. Also, as much speculation as there is about him wanting to spite Lowe, he isn't going to treat Oilers fans like that. I am 99% certain he'll sign with them, and if he doesn't he'll go somewhere as far away from Edmonton as possible. At times I feel for Oil fans (although I really don't) because so many good players leave after becoming fan favourites (Pronger, Comrie, Gretzky, Messier etc.), and as Smyth grew up an Oilers fan I'm sure he recognizes that. He won't sign here.

There was a tiny part of me that thought Luongo could end up here last year, the same can't be said for Smyth this year.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Also, as much speculation as there is about him wanting to spite Lowe, he isn't going to treat Oilers fans like that. I am 99% certain he'll sign with them, and if he doesn't he'll go somewhere as far away from Edmonton as possible. At times I feel for Oil fans (although I really don't) because so many good players leave after becoming fan favourites (Pronger, Comrie, Gretzky, Messier etc.), and as Smyth grew up an Oilers fan I'm sure he recognizes that. He won't sign here.
I doubt that Smyth would care too much about the reasons that you just stated. Mike Comrie used to sit in the 11th row of what was then known as the Northlands Coliseum and booed all of the players that left Edmonton. And he wound up doing the same thing. I know that Mike Comrie and Ryan Smyth aren't the same person but sooner or later reality has to take over.

The reason why we wouldn't get him would boil down to bucks. The cap will almost certainly make signing Smyth impossible for us. But I doubt it will be much easier for the Oilers to sign him.

If you're Ryan Smyth, why would you go back to Edmonton? It's a virtual lock that he would get offers for more money elsewhere. Why would you take a pay cut to play for a team that has the worst travel in the league, can't come close to spending the full amount towards the cap, and won't contend for a Stanley Cup any time soon? With Smyth's style of play, he won't play until he's 40. He doesn't have too many more chances at a Stanley Cup. I'll be very surprised if he signs back here in Edmonton. It just would not make sense for Ryan Smyth to come back here.

Family and friends will only take you so far. I believe he will sign somewhere out east.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

randymeeks wrote:
Also, as much speculation as there is about him wanting to spite Lowe, he isn't going to treat Oilers fans like that. I am 99% certain he'll sign with them, and if he doesn't he'll go somewhere as far away from Edmonton as possible. At times I feel for Oil fans (although I really don't) because so many good players leave after becoming fan favourites (Pronger, Comrie, Gretzky, Messier etc.), and as Smyth grew up an Oilers fan I'm sure he recognizes that. He won't sign here.
I doubt that Smyth would care too much about the reasons that you just stated. Mike Comrie used to sit in the 11th row of what was then known as the Northlands Coliseum and booed all of the players that left Edmonton. And he wound up doing the same thing. I know that Mike Comrie and Ryan Smyth aren't the same person but sooner or later reality has to take over.

The reason why we wouldn't get him would boil down to bucks. The cap will almost certainly make signing Smyth impossible for us. But I doubt it will be much easier for the Oilers to sign him.

If you're Ryan Smyth, why would you go back to Edmonton? It's a virtual lock that he would get offers for more money elsewhere. Why would you take a pay cut to play for a team that has the worst travel in the league, can't come close to spending the full amount towards the cap, and won't contend for a Stanley Cup any time soon? With Smyth's style of play, he won't play until he's 40. He doesn't have too many more chances at a Stanley Cup. I'll be very surprised if he signs back here in Edmonton. It just would not make sense for Ryan Smyth to come back here.

Family and friends will only take you so far. I believe he will sign somewhere out east.

I never said he wouldn't sign with an Eastern team (I am still pretty certain he'll go back to the Oilers) but he definitely isn't signing here. Even if we offered him more money then anyone else he won't sign with a rival team. It's either Edmonton, the Isles or a team on a up and up out east like Washington or Florida. If he ever does win a cup I think he'd want to finish his career in Edmonton. That might not be possible if he turns himself into public enemy #1.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Here's my prediction on Smyth. He'll end up on one of these 3 teams.

Colorado: They have more cap space this year and want to get back in the playoffs.

Anaheim: Only if Selanne retires. They will need a replacement of sorts.

Detroit: Need a power forward and who knows about what they will do with Bert.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I'd love to have Bertuzzi back. Sure the pansys in the media would turn into a bunch of bitches again but it would be worth it to see him play for Vancouver again.

No thanks to Carter. He could have had 60 gaols that year, easily. Although T.Linden and Pyatt were not really any better. I still think the Canucks managment has failed miserably in finding the right guy to play with the Sedins.

Sad really to see the talent of the Sedins wasted by not finding a decent right handed shot that will go to the net and freaking stay there. But its not the first time the Canuck fans have had to suffer this painfull fate. See Cloutier and Auld years. Probably the most talented team in the league and second rate goaltending in Cloutiers case and fifth rate in Aulds shot that all to hell.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Oilers in the last at least 10 years have shown no real reason that they actually want to win it all ... everytime the Oilers seem to get some decent players they cry the money thing or have some excuse not to keep them ...they deal top players off for a handful of lesser players or drafts and the cycle restarts... at best then they are and will always only be a mediocre team at best. The Gretzky days are gone. Very hard and frustrating to deal with if you are a true Oiler fan.

My point ... why would Smyth want to come back to the Oilers in that kind of environment ... friends and family yes but he is as competitive as anyone and will want to win it before his career is over.

IMO then look for him to sign with a team that has some kind of plan and is seriously "interested" in winning as opposed to a team like the Oilers who appear to just want to "tread water" .

Grizz
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

I think, despite everything, that Smyth does want to go back to Edmonton, for the same reason that almost everyone I know from Edmonton went to University of Alberta for any and all degrees, and think that it's the best city on earth to live in. And for the same reason that guys like Craig Janney and Murray Craven have no problem asking out of NHL's best city according to every quality-of-life survey, but no one except Chris Pronger's wife ever seems to ask out of frigid, grey Edmonton.

There's some serious Kool-Aid in that place.