Kesler signs for 3 years

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

kingofrockstars
MVP
MVP

Kesler signs for 3 years

Post by kingofrockstars » Thu May 24, 2007 9:38 am

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=208727&hubname=

The Vancouver Canucks have re-signed centre Ryan Kesler to a three year deal.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Kesler, 22, appeared in 48 games for the Canucks last season, recording 16 points and 40 penalty minutes. He missed the last 34 games of the regular season due to a hip injury, but returned for Game One of the Western Conference Quarter-Final against Dallas. Kesler suffered a hand injury in the game that ended his season.

Kesler received a certain amount of notoriety last summer when, as a restricted free agent, he was signed to a $1.9-million offer sheet by the Philadelphia Flyers; an offer that was matched by the Canucks.

In 158 career games with the Canucks, Kesler has tallied 18 goals, 26 assists and 135 penalty minutes.

The 6-foot-2, 205-pound native of Livonia, Michigan was selected in the first round, 23rd overall by the Canucks in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.
The police never think it's as funny as you do

nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas » Thu May 24, 2007 9:50 am

If it's anything over 4 mil total it's a ripoff.

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Thu May 24, 2007 10:15 am

word from CKNW is 3 years $5.5

$1.83 per

wow.

I trust Nonis.

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Thu May 24, 2007 10:23 am

would it be crazy to see Kesler and Ohlund going to Philly for Gagne and prospect or pick?

just a thought

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey » Thu May 24, 2007 11:34 am

$1.75m per year.

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Thu May 24, 2007 11:45 am

jchockey wrote:$1.75m per year.
is that official? from where?

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Thu May 24, 2007 12:07 pm

I'm not complaining. I expect a big year from him next season.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Thu May 24, 2007 12:35 pm

Linden Is God wrote:I'm not complaining. I expect a big year from him next season.
I really liked what I saw from him this year on the good days. if he can be consistent in that effort then he will be worth that payday.

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji » Thu May 24, 2007 1:07 pm

I like the signing. Kesler adds speed, grit, and enthusiasm up front. Kesler is also a key ingredient to our PK.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing next season, is Kesler playing with the twins (or atleast experimenting with it).

Kesler is a right handed shot, and isn't afraid to go to the net. Kesler isn't the most offensively gifted player, but I think we'll see an improvement from him in this area as well.

With Kesler playing with the twins, this allows Naslund, Morrison, and Pyatt to play with one another (i.e. somewhat similar to the old WCE line, our 3 best forwards after the twins).

Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy » Thu May 24, 2007 1:13 pm

Im a bit of a skeptic, so i'll beleive he's worth it when i see it, he brings his game to the table, its just a shame he was injured as a result of giving it his all.
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Thu May 24, 2007 1:27 pm

mattola wrote:
jchockey wrote:$1.75m per year.
is that official? from where?

I see it on TSN now. its better but still too high. we will see tho

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Thu May 24, 2007 2:42 pm

I think the idea behind this is that he may be overpaid for the first year, but by year three he will be a decent value. 1.75 seems high for this comming year, but like has been said above, he is key to the PK and has the grit/North American heart this team sorely needs. Also, with the amount of penalties, a Penalty killing forward can be worth their weight in gold. Keep in mind, he could wind up playing as much as the Sedin's on PK time alone.

I'll reserve judgment on this one. It's nice to have him locked up for a while though, he will get better.

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded » Thu May 24, 2007 3:10 pm

$1.75 million wouldn't be too bad if it was a 4 or 5 year deal, but at 25 I just can't imagine him being worth it. Oh well, hopefully he can put up 30-50 points this year. I guess Pyatt just upped his asking price.

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum » Thu May 24, 2007 3:33 pm

Wow. That was fast.

I was expecting something a tad closer to the amount Kessler would get in an arbitration ($1.6 or thereabouts), but Nonis didn't really have a lot of wiggle room here thanks to Mr. Clarke's antics.

Well, here's hoping Ryan earns every penny. At least the guy hustles.

It's a pity the Flyers signed Upshall before Nonis could put a term sheet in front of him, purely as an act of spite. I wouldn't really care for DN to make a similar offer to any of the Flyers' other RFAs this year. But when Carter comes up . . . :twisted:
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Thu May 24, 2007 4:15 pm

Meerschaum wrote: I was expecting something a tad closer to the amount Kessler would get in an arbitration ($1.6 or thereabouts), but Nonis didn't really have a lot of wiggle room here thanks to Mr. Clarke's antics.
I think this is a factor that we have to look at here. I'm not sure about the parameters in this case, but I was always under the impression that Kesler had to be qualified at the same price he made last year.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel: