Deadline Dumbells Pt. 1

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Deadline Dumbells Pt. 1

Post by Meerschaum » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:55 am

Okay. So how do these deadline deals look today?

Keith Tkachuck for Glen Metropolit, Atlanta’s 2007 1st round pick and 3rd round pick, a 2nd rounder in 2008 and a conditional pick based upon whether Tkachuk resigns in Atlanta or not.

Tkachoke's playoff numbers in Atlanta?

A wopping one goal and two assists.

Basically the same playoff numbers as Pascal Dupuis.

And speaking of Dupuis, what did Waddell give up for him (and a 3rd round pick)? Only 2005 No. 16 pick Alex Bourrett.

I'm not even going to get into the inanity of the Thrashers' so-called braintrust trading top-10 2003 draft pick, 6'5", 220 lb, Braydon Coburn (a MONSTER of a young D-man who's coming along nicely) for veteran defenseman Alexei Zhitnik.

Now, get this. Waddell was actually praised for these deals at the time.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2779252

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared ... ove_1.html

http://southeastshootout.blogspot.com/2 ... kdown.html

http://www.atlantathrashers.com/View.as ... 2c601b2155

But today? After not just being swept, but HUMILIATED by the Rags? (One of the teams they traded with, for christssakes . . . )

I'm thinking the Blues, Flyers and Rags are laughing up their collective sleeves so hard right about now that snot is covering their arms.

Given that the Blue Jackets have now cleaned house, I'd say Waddell will be the next GM to face the guillotine.

Let this be a lesson to us all. Trading first round picks or quality prospects for rentals is a mug's game.

Rest assured, we'll be discussing a couple more Deadline Dumbbells TM in the next few days.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.

Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:03 am

They were probably trying to show their flagging fanbase that they were serious about trying to win it all now.

In retrospect, it didn't work out too well. :oops:

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:11 am

I have two firm rules when predicting playoff series:

1) the canucks will win

and

2)in a series with Keith Tkachuk the team the DOESN'T have Tka-choke will win. The guy is simply one of the worst playoff performers for someone with his skills the game has seen. He should excel during the playoffs. Instead he fails and really is just a cancer.

It was a terrible trade when it was made and looks even more ludicrous now.

But what has happened to Lehtonen. Talk about a goaltenders development at a plateau! He needs to figure out what make an above average starter and do it quick or he's going to find himself riding the pine.

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:58 am

Time like these make me appreciate the fact that Nonis stood pat and waited and waited until the right deal came along.

With Mellanby retiring I don't see the Thrashers doing anything special for the next 5 years.

Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:30 pm

The real funny thing about the deadline deals are that the teams that actually made them also made the playoffs for the first time in a long while (Thrahsers and Islanders), and Detroit also won the Western Conference regular season. So they aren't completely useless, depending on where you set the expectation level. If you think the trade would make Thrashers a cup contender, then I think the problem lies with the expectation. If you think the trade would give the team a spark to ensure their first playoff berth, then the trade worked. Same for the Islanders I guess. For the already contending teams, however, I dont' see any of the deadline acquisitions paying a lot of dividends.

supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:20 am

What about Nashville losing in only 5 games to San Jose...makes the Forsberg trade look a whole lot worse...

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:43 pm

The real funny thing about the deadline deals are that the teams that actually made them also made the playoffs for the first time in a long while (Thrahsers and Islanders), and Detroit also won the Western Conference regular season. So they aren't completely useless, depending on where you set the expectation level. If you think the trade would make Thrashers a cup contender, then I think the problem lies with the expectation. If you think the trade would give the team a spark to ensure their first playoff berth, then the trade worked. Same for the Islanders I guess. For the already contending teams, however, I dont' see any of the deadline acquisitions paying a lot of dividends.
And for this reason, Waddell is suposedly allowed to keep his job, but this is a ridiculous line for management to take. Especially in his case, where he gave up so much. And all their big guns have no heart (kind of like the Canucks, save for Luongo)

I questioned the Smyth deal from the Isles perspective, even if he got them in. They have a good young core and it was maybe too soon. Then again, when you've been a laughingstock for so long, sometimes it's worth it.

Nashville was in a position to make such a deal, and they did it, and it didn't work out. Too bad for them I guess. Hopefully nobody will go to anymore games there and they move to Quebec city or Winnepeg or to any real hockey market. I couldn't care less.
Eyes on the Prize