Defense

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

WCE
MVP
MVP

Defense

Post by WCE »

Going into the playoffs I thought the biggest strength of this team that no one outside of Vancouver ever talks about was how good the defense corps is when we have a healthy 1 through 6.

The addition of Sopel looked to give us a guy capable of playing the 2nd PP unit and able to step up near the 20 minute mark in games that required us to take offensive chances (behind a few goals) or if injuries became a factor. Krajicek seemed to have worked the kinks out of his game and the top 4 had been great for pretty much the whole year.

Fast forward to game 3 and while the team has been alright defensively, Luongo has bailed them out a tonne. Some guys have looked good and others, not so much.

Grades thus far;

Mitchell: With the way this guy plays and communicates on the ice it is easy to see why his leadership is praised so often in the media by his teammates. His solid play and amazing stick have been consistent through these three games the same way they have been all year long. He is one nasty SOB, and his snow shower on Turco late last night was a good response to the abuse Luongo has been taking - sent a message and didn't take a penalty. Great play and he has been carrying Bieksa so far. Lead the team ice time last night and baby-sat Sopel in the 3rd period. Grade: A

Salo: Solid and very physical, sometimes to a surprising degree. I will never forget Salo hip-checking Worrell a few years ago, and Sami despite his injury trouble is a warrior out there for us. Besides Mitchell he has been the clear stud out of the rearguards thus far. It would be nice to find a way to free up his shot on the PP but Dallas is doing a fantastic job of taking it away. Nevertheless Sami has been outstanding and more than justifying the 3.5 contract he received a few weeks ago. Grade: A

Krajieck: After the trade deadline Lukas really settled down. He has continued to play very well for us into the post season, competing hard and not getting caught on any 'adventures' the way he was for a few months during the season. Strong play, good flow to his game and most importantly is not getting out-competed (Quote the Crow) in his own end. Grade A-

Fitzpatrick: Has only played 1 game but he was very good in it. Obviously his grade is incomplete as compared to the others due to lack of TOI, but I was very happy with Rory. No glaring errors and largely unnoticeable. Just the way we like him. Grade B+

Ohlund: What has become of this former rock? I was hoping that his two week long absence with a minor injury would give him time to rest up and be ready to return to his former 'rock' status. This has not happened. He has continued to log big minutes in all situations for the team, but he has had a tonne of trouble identifying his outlets on the breakout and seems to be bobbling the puck way too much. I have a real soft spot for Ohlie after the service he as provided the team with but he needs to get better. Grade C+

Sopel: Looked great the first few games after the trade deadline but in his two games thus far he has looked panicked and has made some very poor choices with the puck and in terms of pinching at the line. Like Ohlund he seems to be bobbling the puck way too much. I hate to give them crap for this because the ice last night was beer league but it happened in Vancouver as well. I wonder how much his back injury is affecting him because he has looked poor to the point that Fitzpatrick must be a strong consideration in AV's mind. Grade D

Bieksa: I sometimes call Bieksa 'Mr Casual' the way he does that kind of float when he stops skating with the puck and finds himself in trouble. I love his intensity and his play this year has been amazing; however, that does not change the fact that in Game 1 he looked like a deer caught in the headlights, and though he has settled down a bit his game has dropped a significant level under pressure. I think if Mitchell wasn't there to help him out the results would have been disastrous. This is Kevin's first playoff and I think he has psyched himself out trying to bring his intensity level up. He needs to settle down and start thinking the game again. Grade D
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
PigSkin_53
AHL Prospect

Post by PigSkin_53 »

The last game season martchup I saw against Calgary, the defence looked really good in the first period, but fell down badly for the rest of the game.

We lost that game badly and it was all after Gerome Iginla started and won a fight off the first faceoff.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Salo has been responsible for two goals in the, running around and not holding his position. Bieska can't keep his mind in control and is taking stupid penalties. Ohlund is trying to cover for Salo and Mitchell frankly has given the puck a number of time in his own end try to make a play that isn't there. Sopel does not look good with Krajicek and he doesn't look good with any one ( will some one teach this guy how to play a 2 on 1 )

At best a B- for the bunch and they better get better, thank heavans for Luongo
cheers
sirensong
CC Rookie

Post by sirensong »

Other than Mitchell and maybe Salo i dont think i agree with any of that. Ohlund was 2nd Star in the building in game 3 in Dallas.

Salo has made some mistakes and Bieksa has settled alot from game 1, Sopel hasnt been great but hes not expected to be. Hes our #5, Krajieck has been pretty much useless as usual except for OK defensive play. Rory was solid and id rather seem him than Lukas.
In the words of Julius Caesar: "Veni, Vidi, Vici, Luongo". Translation: "I came, I saw, i was shut out by Luongo".
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

sirensong wrote: Krajieck has been pretty much useless as usual except for OK defensive play. Rory was solid and id rather seem him than Lukas.
You ain't going to see that Kraijcek is a left hander, Sopel and Rory are both right handed. Yeah maybe i was a little tough on Ohlund, probably he suffers from bigger expectation form me, he just hasn't been as strong on the puck that we expect.

I couldn't believe how far Salo was out of position on a number of occassions, I don't know if they're trying to move the coverage to the strong side to much but he's constantly leaving an opposition open behind himself, not good. Word to Willy play simple!

Krajicek, you have to wonder what happenes next season, the two players on the cusp, Edler and Bourdon ( who by the way I understand has not played well in the "Q") are both lefties. The Canucks do have the luxury of three quality right handed players, plus Rory, not many teams I would think can say that !
cheers