Page 1 of 1

Bring on the Stars!

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:49 pm
by levelheaded
With the OT win this afternoon we are playing Dallas in the first round guaranteed. Let's hope Turco can continue his streak of incredible playoff ineptitude. The two lowest scoring playoff teams in the western conference face off. Should be a tight series.

Division Champions and season points record.

GO CANUCKS GO GO CANUCKS GO GO CANUCKS GO

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:53 pm
by JamesOwnzSam11
Dun Dun Dunnnnnnnnn

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:00 pm
by Sid Dithers
Talk about things working out perfectly for the 'nucks! After watching that game today, a series against San Jose, even if the Canucks were to win, would take such an incredible physical toll, they would have been fodder for whoever in the 2nd round. Dallas is an infinitely better opponent for the Canucks.

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:44 pm
by tuzzi44
I agree with the topic heading... Bring on the stars!!

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:58 am
by Linden Is God
This is the match up I wanted. Should be good games. Hopefully the games in Dallas will start a little earlier for us eastern folks.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:33 am
by gordorama
Bring on Phoenix first!
Would love to see Louie tie Brodeur for wins this year. :drunk:

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:36 am
by Jyrki21
As I wrote on Offthepost.net:

I'm actually not thrilled with a Dallas matchup, even though it seems to be most fans' first choice (be careful what you wish for, etc.) Their record is basically identical to Vancouver's, and that was without two of their best players for long stretches of time -- i.e. they've been a very good team all season, and they play Vancouver particularly tough. I honestly would have preferred Detroit or Nashville as opponents, as I think the Canucks handle them best. (I also think both are going down in the first round, but we can save that for a predictions thread).

I don't buy into the Turco-will-choke theory, because the law of averages says that he'll right the ship sooner or later, and we know the Canucks are streak-busters extraordinaires.

All in all, pretty much every Western first-round matchup will be a toss-up, but I'm a little more apprehensive than most about Dallas... they play Vancouver's game, and that's not really a good thing. Every score will be 2-1 in OT (which also sucks if you live out east like I do!), and there's too many coin-flips involved in that for me to feel comfortable.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:11 pm
by Kel
Jyrki21 wrote: I don't buy into the Turco-will-choke theory, because the law of averages says that he'll right the ship sooner or later, and we know the Canucks are streak-busters extraordinaires.
How come the law of averages didn't prevent Cloutier from getting injured again and again? Or Theodore regaining his MVP form? I am not predicting another meltdown from Turco, but I'd more surprised to see a superb performance than to see a decline in save percentage from his regular season.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:57 pm
by Linden Is God
Jyrki21 wrote:As I wrote on Offthepost.net:

I'm actually not thrilled with a Dallas matchup, even though it seems to be most fans' first choice (be careful what you wish for, etc.) Their record is basically identical to Vancouver's, and that was without two of their best players for long stretches of time -- i.e. they've been a very good team all season, and they play Vancouver particularly tough. I honestly would have preferred Detroit or Nashville as opponents, as I think the Canucks handle them best. (I also think both are going down in the first round, but we can save that for a predictions thread).

I don't buy into the Turco-will-choke theory, because the law of averages says that he'll right the ship sooner or later, and we know the Canucks are streak-busters extraordinaires.

All in all, pretty much every Western first-round matchup will be a toss-up, but I'm a little more apprehensive than most about Dallas... they play Vancouver's game, and that's not really a good thing. Every score will be 2-1 in OT (which also sucks if you live out east like I do!), and there's too many coin-flips involved in that for me to feel comfortable.
Jyrki you're forgetting one thing that is great about a match up with the Stars. You and I live in the east, and seeing as Dallas is in the central time zone the games that are in Dallas will start earlier for us so barring a super long overtime session, we won't have to stay up late watching the games.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:48 pm
by Cookie La Rue
At least, who'll be an easy opponent ? I liked yesterdays game against the Sharks, they are capable of hitting away everyone. :mrgreen:

edit: or getting hit away by everyone and still got the win. yihaaaaaaa. 8-)

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:49 pm
by Jyrki21
Linden Is God wrote: Jyrki you're forgetting one thing that is great about a match up with the Stars. You and I live in the east, and seeing as Dallas is in the central time zone the games that are in Dallas will start earlier for us so barring a super long overtime session, we won't have to stay up late watching the games.
Ah, but ironically I changed my tune and started hoping for a western matchup once I was informed that upon my return to Ottawa (I'm in Vancouver now for the Jewish holiday of Passover) I'd be getting a sh!tload of work... you see, I wouldn't be able to duck out of the office for 7 p.m. starts. 10 p.m. I could probably get away with it.

Sleep will have to be sacrificed, but I knew that coming in.

I'm actually going to miss much of Game 1 because of travel back to Ottawa! :mad: And Game 2 is on the Sabbath (Friday night), so we'll see about that... :mad:

I was praying for Thurs./Sat. night starts. Stupid CBC.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:46 pm
by ververgaert
I wonder if Lindros will be off injury reserve at any time during this series.

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:10 pm
by Lancer
Honestly, nobody is going to be a cake-walk but if I had to choose my poison I would choose Dallas. Say what you will about Turco, but I say the pressure will be more on him than Louie. He's the one who needs to get the monkey off his back or he's gone from the Lone Star State. For that matter, Tippett must be feeling the burden of his own gorilla.

Vancouver, on the other hand, has no such pressure and comes in as the biggest X-factor. New coach, new goalie, new identity. Most facets of both teams are nearly identical but in the end it comes down to goaltending and I would take Louie over Turco any day.

I say Canucks in 6 and Bobby Lou gets on a roll. :D

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:50 am
by sirensong
Does Turco's playoff failure's scare anyone? Hes such a good goalie hes bound to get it 2gether soon or later. But i cant see him outplaying Luongo either :D

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:27 pm
by Momesso
The scariest thing about Turco is his puck handling and how it will set up their transition game.

Their D is also pretty sick. Norstrom scares me, as do Morrow and of course Modano. Sydor I don't think is as good as he used to be, but he is a winner. Boucher is solid at both ends, and Robidas has played well there.

The Canucks will have to play their very best to beat this team....