Pyatt Turns Down 2Yrs-2.4Million

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Pyatt Turns Down 2Yrs-2.4Million

Post by Island Nucklehead »

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/articl ... 70107_5792

Article sais he's looking for Cooke money, so apparantly we're 300K apart. I'm pretty sure this deal will get done eventually. Cooke plays a different game than Pyatt, but the guy had a 20 goal season and looks to be getting better...I'm not opposed to seeing him sign for 3 years 4.5 million.
orts
CC Veteran

Re: Pyatt Turns Down 2Yrs-2.4Million

Post by orts »

Island Nucklehead wrote:[url].I'm not opposed to seeing him sign for 3 years 4.5 million.
I think 1.5 million dollars would be just fine (compare what we were saying about Anson Carter's worth). If that's what Pyatt's people are looking for, they ought to get it.

Between this and the Salo deal, I get the impression that Nonis is looking to make offers to the key players in this recent run so as to sew them up at a reasonable price while they're feeling happy about the way things are going in in Vancouver. That's good psychology.

I hope that long-term deals become the norm in the NHL. I got tired of watching the revolving door.
nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Post by nuxfanindallas »

1.5 over three years is reasonable. But not more.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I would be pleased with that deal
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
sirensong
CC Rookie

Post by sirensong »

1.5 is fine for Taylor, lock the kid up and let him develop.
In the words of Julius Caesar: "Veni, Vidi, Vici, Luongo". Translation: "I came, I saw, i was shut out by Luongo".
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

who knows?

have we seen Cookie with the twins yet? i don't think so.

seriously, all it takes to play with the twins, is that you can skate, and have a nose for the net. and finishing skills.

Oh, and some grit would be best.

Best linemates for twins in a nucks uniform shown thus far :

Klatt, Bert, Carter, Naslund, Pyatt is getting there, but he really lacks that physical
department imo.

should we invest into a bonified power foward to make this line a true 1A line?

Because there are so many chances that should've been potted but not.

We could let Pyatt develop, but not at a 3 year deal like that, i'd give him a one year, 1.3mil. and see how he does next year. locking him up for 3 years, what if this year was a fluke?
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Personally I would take Pyatt at 1.5 p/y for the next three at the drop of a hat. The guy has some really soft hands, has relatively good skating skills for his size and is developing some good hockey sense. As we are pretty short on the upcoming forward talent - at least for a few more years - I think it would be well worth the risk to sign a player still in development with considerable potential.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

First, Pyatt's year is no more a fluke than Anson's was last year. It wasn't up to either of them, it was decided by the twins.

Second, Anson wanted $3M/year for his 33 goals, so shouldn't that make Pyatt want $2M, the 2/3 rate he's earned?

3 years at 1.5 is a decent deal for both sides.

Don't you just love Nonis & his ability to make signings without acrimony?

Leave that for the non-signings (like Anson).
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

At $1.5 million a year it won't hurt the cap. I assume Bulis is gone, so Pyatt is essentially replacing Bulis' salary. And a 3rd or 4th line guy can easly be found for the million Pyatt is making this year. It all balances out.

As for investing in a power forward, I say yes, but not to play with the Sedins. I'd like to see Nonis sign a big rugged winger this off-season to play with Nazzy and either Mo or Kesler (or even Smoke if he's retained). Even though the team is playing great these days, a stronger offensive line would be all the better.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

sirensong wrote:In the words of Julius Caesar: "Veni, Vidi, Vici, Luongo". Translation: "I came, I saw, i was shut out by Luongo".

That's a mistranslation. "Vici" = "I conquered."
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

$1.5 mill for Pyatt isn't unreasonable, but I'm not sure I'd want to sign him to a 3 year deal. He hasn't really proven much other then he can pot a few when the twins are on their game. He isn't like Carter, he just doesn't have the same natural chemistry. He is good at finding open space and has a nice shot, but he is far too inconsistent. I think 2 years should be the absolute max length for his contract. If that means paying $2+ mill for him a couple years from now so be it. I just can't imagine a scenario where we won't be able to find a cheaper alternative for less then $1.5 mill. He doesn't really excel at playing with the Sedins, but he is the best we have. I like Pyatt, but the money could be better spent elsewhere.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The comparison is the part that makes this a bit of a joke. If you recall most were upset that Cooke got 1.5 to start with. And more than a few feel it ham strung the teams Cap to a degree. Now Pyatt wants the same as Cooke but should it be the real Cooke value or the inflated value. If any thing Pyatt it can be argued is worth more than Cooke, although he's not a consistent player, hence his time on the 4th line at times. Will he take his foot of the pedal if he signs a long term deal
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The comparison is the part that makes this a bit of a joke. If you recall most were upset that Cooke got 1.5 to start with. And more than a few feel it ham strung the teams Cap to a degree. Now Pyatt wants the same as Cooke but should it be the real Cooke value or the inflated value. If any thing Pyatt it can be argued is worth more than Cooke, although he's not a consistent player, hence his time on the 4th line at times. Will he take his foot of the pedal if he signs a long term deal
cheers
hehateme
AHL Prospect

Post by hehateme »

who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if the guy leaves someone else will play in his spot...........shit put me on out the i can skate and hold a stick
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Pyatt - see - Carter, Anson, 2007