Where would we be in the standings without "the deal

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Where would we be in the standings without "the deal

Post by tuzzi44 »

Its hard to argue that the Luongo - Bertuzzi trade was the best trade in Canucks history. And its clear that Roberto has played a huge role in the Canucks' sucess....

So where would we be if that trade never happened?? AV has certainly coached this team well this season... could he have turned the last year roster into a playoff contender??

I think if the deal never went down (praise the hockey gods that it did 8-) ) I think we would be sittin around 11 or 12th place. The goaltending is so important to win those one goal games... and I dont think clouts or Auldy would have been able to keep this team close to playoff contention for the stretch. Im intrigued to think that maybe AV could have actually got Bertuzzi going... probably not 8-)
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

To see what 'could have been' look no further than the Kings.

They are loaded with talent, but have bad coaching and goaltending. They are the 'ghost of Canucks past'.
2021 - Playoff Bound
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

oh the canucks graveyard... spooky.... :shock:
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Tuzzi I love your post but I need to stop this one .....we sound like Leaf fans....what would have happened if we would have traded _____ fill in the blank for PRONGER, FORSBERG, BERTUZZI...
I get where you are coming from....where would we be if we traded Bertuzzi for any one else but Luongo.....a question I can't answer......
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

we would be somewhere below where we are now.

:lol:
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

where would we be if we kept cam neely
where would we be if we traded for luongo 2 years ago
where would we be if we drafted Marty Brodeur
where would we be if we drafted Jagr
where would we be if we
where would we be if we
where would we be if we
where would we be if we
where would we be if we
where would we be if we
where would we be if we
where would we be if we

blah
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I have to agree that is is and was a good trade.

Roberto is the reason this team, with a first line and three third lines , and a decent defense is going to the playoffs.

I would have liked to see what A.V could have done with Betuzzi and Jovo and a real goalie. Say Biron.

Last years team was all run and gun, exciting to watch, physical, but with alot of injuries to key players and a goalie that couldn't keep a lead or really do much of anything.The most frustrating thing about that team to me was seeing leads blown and the wind taken out of the sails of the players with poor goaltending.

This years team has an incredible goalie who keeps them in almost every game and wins quite a few on his own! Nothing short of spectacular. But watching them play is not really that entertaining. They get results but then again so does Minny and NewJersey. Remember how much fun they are to watch?
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Last in the West. Absolutely dead fricken last. There's no question.

Just look at the facts:

Dan Cloutier GP: 24 W: 6 L: 14 OTL: 2 GAA: 3.98 SV%: .860

Alex Auld GP: 27 W: 7 L: 13 OTL: 5 GAA: 3.34 SV%: .888

Todd Bertuzzi GP: 10 G: 1 A: 6 +/-: -2

Given their salaries, those three guys kill any team in the league this year. Any team.

This city should declare a new holiday: "Mike Keenan Day"! Every year on June 23, we should give the guy a ticker tape parade so that every fan in this city can come out, get down on their knees, and with tears of joy in their eyes, thank God and the Heavens above above that Keenan allowed himself to be fleeced so completely in that trade. ;)
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Clearly Meers, Auld, Cloutier and Crawford had to go. As those three were the biggest reason for that team,s lack of sucsess.

Those stats you gave back all that up, Auld and Cloutier are the shits no matter where they play and Bertuzzi put up decent numbers despite the fact his back is so fucked it needed to be operated on. Thanks.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

I did a happy dance the day I found out that Crow was gone.

Then I did another happy dance when Cloutier left the fold.

Thats two happy dances in one year.....Damn fine!!!!
If those guys were still here this year would have been an unmitigated disaster...........guaranteed!!!
Hercules_Rockefeller
CC Rookie

Post by Hercules_Rockefeller »

I'm thinking if the Luongo deal didn't happen we still would've traded Bertuzzi and we still would've gotten a new goalie. But maybe we would have gotten Pronger and Biron or something like that. Who knows - there's just way too much to speculate.

I'm just glad we got him!
Formerly Dangerous Dan.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

AV would have lost his mind with Bertuzzi - laziness & not a team player, Naslund riding shotgun with Bert in the cliche, Special Ed with his bone head plays & super high salary, Cloutier/Auld letting in the weak goal at the wrong time....sometimes the best thing for a team is not what you add...its what you remove....the Canucks have grown stronger with addition by subtraction.....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Hockey_roo
CC Veteran

Post by Hockey_roo »

Soapy his the nail on the head..... The team chemistry is just soooo much better! Take out a lot of talent but a along with that lot of headaches and you defintely have a better team. Ever tried to play on a team that would rather follow a player instead of the coach? It doesn't work, at least not over 82 games.
Having said that Luongo is a god. Loved when he said how he was disappointed with his effort and then goes out the next game a shuts-out a hot team. That is GOLD Jerry, pure GOLD !
sirensong
CC Rookie

Post by sirensong »

Obviously it was a great trade for the Nucks, and we wouldnt be where we are without Louie. Hes most deserving of all the MVP talk and has a good shot at wining it, AV has also done a great great job behing the bench.

To answer the question, not on top of the division. More likely battling for 8th but i do think we would be a playoff time as there would have been alot of changs, and AV would still be the coach and doing a great job.
In the words of Julius Caesar: "Veni, Vidi, Vici, Luongo". Translation: "I came, I saw, i was shut out by Luongo".
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

ververgaert wrote:But watching them play is not really that entertaining. They get results but then again so does Minny and NewJersey. Remember how much fun they are to watch?
For me it's always entertaining. Remembers me to my hometown team where i'm playing which is always fighting against relegation and even though we try to win games in any way it's possible.

That's called passion.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'