Naslund's Slump

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: Commercial Drive Coffee shop

Naslund's Slump

Post by dangler »

Well here we are coming down to the end of the season and Naslund has only shown us very brief glimpses of the $6 mill. superstar.
At the start of the season when the Canucks where starting to get it together(20-30 games in) I felt if Naslund not scoring was the teams biggest problem then they where doing pretty good, It would just be a matter of time before he breaks out of his slump,Right?

Wrong,

The Canucks Color-man Tom Larscheid is even questioning his desire to play.
He reports that Naslund is usually the last one on the ice and the first one off at practice.
I feel he has shown alot of professionalism playing with whomever AV puts him with and not sniveling.
But when you wear the C and make $6 mill. you have to do a little more than hang out on the Right-side half boards waiting for that magic moment.

I think enough grace has been given it's time for this guy to be accountable for his lack of play,
User avatar
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:45 pm
Location: Vancouver Island, B.C.

Post by JCardinal »

The thing that jumped out at me most about Naslund was last nights game in Edmonton when they showed his stats for the last few seasons. Every season his points have dropped consistently lower.

That being said, he's really redeemed himself with his defensive play this season. There is a good role for him there as a defensive forward, but I'm really wondering if his super star scoring days are over.
User avatar
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:44 am

Post by mattola »

granted he is being more defensive. however he is only +3. AV has used him very differently this year so Ill give him a break there. however he is not showing the desire needed as captain. I was of the mind that it must be hard for him to adjust with the way AV has changed the system and adjusting to new linemates. but like JC pointed out that he has declined seriously every year for the last 4 years. Was it the Moore hit that changed his game? The Bertuzzi Issue? the loss of BErtuzzi? something is very different in him he seems to be rediscovering himself all over.

he has a very important playoff coming up I think. unless he is planning to play his last year next year and hes riding it out (I dont think this is the case) but I dont want to see this team handcuffed with a $6M - 60 point guy for one more season. but his salary and NTC makes him unmovable anyway.

cmon Naslund I wear your Jersey with Pride and will continue to do so. We need you for a long Run

Oh Captain My Captain!
Kel
MVP
MVP
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:26 pm

Post by Kel »

mattola wrote:granted he is being more defensive. however he is only +3
+3 is not bad at all, plus the fact that plus-minus is not a very reliable stat to tell a player's defensive play. First, it depends on what his teammates do. Second, it ignores great defensive plays most of the times. If you make a good defensive play, there's no goal scored against and probably no goal scored for as a result, and therefore not changing your plus-minus in any way. If you are good at killing penalties, it changes nothing about your plus-minus, unless you or your teammates are good at scoring shorthanded. Also, your plus-minus is bound to be worse if your team doesn't score many goals, whether your role is to score goals or not. And I haven't even mentioned that it doesn't take into account the strength of the opposing team players.
User avatar
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:02 am

Re: Naslund's Slump

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

dangler wrote:Well here we are coming down to the end of the season and Naslund has only shown us very brief glimpses of the $6 mill. superstar.
At the start of the season when the Canucks where starting to get it together(20-30 games in) I felt if Naslund not scoring was the teams biggest problem then they where doing pretty good, It would just be a matter of time before he breaks out of his slump,Right?

Wrong,

The Canucks Color-man Tom Larscheid is even questioning his desire to play.
He reports that Naslund is usually the last one on the ice and the first one off at practice.
I feel he has shown alot of professionalism playing with whomever AV puts him with and not sniveling.
But when you wear the C and make $6 mill. you have to do a little more than hang out on the Right-side half boards waiting for that magic moment.

I think enough grace has been given it's time for this guy to be accountable for his lack of play,
Tom Larscheid is a joke, god I can't stand him and i'll be glad when he's gone.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
User avatar
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:58 pm
Location: Timmins, Ontario

Post by Linden Is God »

While it's nice that Naslund is bringing more defensive awareness to his game, he's not being paid $6 million a year to do so. He's being paid to put up points and lead this team, which he's doing neither in my opinion. I admit I've only been able to watch about 20 games this year, but in those games he's looked very unmotivated.

Maybe it's time the team parts ways with him this summer?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
User avatar
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: Commercial Drive Coffee shop

Post by dangler »

Unfortunately Naslund has one more year on his contract so he won't be going anywhere.

It's looking like getting Naslund to wake up could be AV's biggest challenge.

Some people have been making the argument that his line mates are not as talented as last year,yet every player that has been put with the Sedins has excelled, and the opposite can be said for Naslund.
The best players on a team bring out the best in others, Why? because they lead by example,Naslund has not been doing this for quite sometime.

If his lackluster play continues into the playoffs i think AV might have to consider stripping him of the C
reid
AHL Prospect
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:34 pm

Post by reid »

Love to hear what you wagon-jumpers and naysayers will say about Naslund when he starts popping in the corn come playoff, which is absolutely a feasible expectation. His pride alone will carry him thru! Just wait and see.
Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Post by Fred »

dangler wrote:Unfortunately Naslund has one more year on his contract so he won't be going anywhere.

It's looking like getting Naslund to wake up could be AV's biggest challenge.

Some people have been making the argument that his line mates are not as talented as last year,yet every player that has been put with the Sedins has excelled, and the opposite can be said for Naslund.
The best players on a team bring out the best in others, Why? because they lead by example,Naslund has not been doing this for quite sometime.

If his lackluster play continues into the playoffs i think AV might have to consider stripping him of the C
Can you say buy out ? No team can operate in todays Cap with players not performing. This is not amateur hour. If what Larschied says is true, and he has no reason to invent it, then apart from looking like a has been on the ice he's not exactly stirring up his troops either. It's one thing to loose your touch it's altogther different not to lead when your the Captain, that's mental strength.

Naslund has to look long and hard at himself and ask the tough question of himself. Tough to turn away from that sort of money although you would have to think he has enough for a couple of generations of Naslunds by now. But if he has pride now's the time to show it!
cheers
User avatar
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: Commercial Drive Coffee shop

Post by dangler »

reid wrote:Love to hear what you wagon-jumpers and naysayers will say about Naslund when he starts popping in the corn .
What you'll hear in loud unison is "about time he got that cob outta his ass"
User avatar
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: Commercial Drive Coffee shop

Post by dangler »

Reports on todays practice has Naslund being first on the ice & working with Luongo on his shot
User avatar
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:02 am

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Oh god... you "haters" are just god awful.

Naslund should retire? pfft.. LINDEN should have retired last year.

Buyout? Okay then have three million of your cap next year tied up in nothing....
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
User avatar
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:58 pm
Location: Timmins, Ontario

Post by Linden Is God »

JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:Oh god... you "haters" are just god awful.

Naslund should retire? pfft.. LINDEN should have retired last year.

Buyout? Okay then have three million of your cap next year tied up in nothing....
This stuff must sound as ridiculous to you as "Luongo is not the elite goalie of the league, Khabibulin is" to the rest of us.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
reid
AHL Prospect
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:34 pm

Post by reid »

[quote="dangler"][quote="reid"]Love to hear what you wagon-jumpers and naysayers will say about Naslund when he starts popping in the corn .[/quote]

What you'll hear in loud unison is [b]"about time he got that cob outta his ass"[/b][/quote]


....AND SHOVE IT DOWN YOUR THROAT!!
User avatar
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1442
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:27 pm

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Wow, some very strong feelings on the Naslund front!

Adding my two cents, I would have to agree that Naslund has not been playing at his best or even at an acceptable level. That said, I do think that his lack of production is, at least in part, due to not having linemates that are even near his skill level. While there have been a lot of comments that he should be able to bring the skill level of those around him up and be his usual self, I don't really think those are all that realistic. Except for a very few of the super elite, most players, to produce anywhere near there capabilities, need to play with other players of similar talent. Other than the Sedins and Bertuzzi I don't think anyone would argue that he is playing with people of similar talent - Bulis, Cowan, Smolinski (not that he is bad but definitely not stellar), Cooke, even Morrison. It is one thing for a good player to help a young player with upside play better, it is quite another to be put with a player who is a carreer third liner or at best second liner and to somehow magically increase the tallent level of that player. There are those that can learn and be molded into something better - ie wellwood with Sundin - and then there are those that cannot. Funny, because I think Pyatt is one of those that could but AV seems to be adverse to giving him any real time with Naslund.

Now don't take this as a complete defense of Naslund's play. I am not saying that his level of play is totally justified, but I also don't really think that he can be held up to his previous level of play when he isn't being put with players that he can actually count on. And I don't think it is fair to compare him with the Sedins, as if you split them apart and put either of them on a line with Smolinski and Bulis I doubt very much that either of them would even have the numbers Naslund has.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Post Reply