Mason Raymond Signed

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Mason Raymond Signed

Post by ClamRussel »

He's given up his remaining yrs of college to go pro, probably headed for Manitoba now.
http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Arc ... s_0526.htm
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Call me a cynic but is this a who's who of players who failed to maintain a GPA of above 2.0

:roll:
cheers
supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle ... LID=827487

WCHA First Team All Star This Year! :D
Below is a look at the 2006-07 WCHA awards.

All-WCHA First Team
F – Ryan Duncan, North Dakota
F – Mason Raymond, Minnesota Duluth
F – Andrew Gordon, St. Cloud State
D – Alex Goligoski, Minnesota
D – Matt Niskanen, Minnesota Duluth
G – Bobby Goepfert, St. Cloud State

All-WCHA Second Team
F – Kyle Okposo, Minnesota
F – Jonathan Toews, North Dakota

F – Travis Morin, Minnesota State
D – Mike Vannelli, Minnesota
D – Taylor Chorney, North Dakota
G – Brian Elliott, Wisconsin

All-WCHA Third Team
F – Andreas Nödl, St. Cloud State
F – T.J. Oshie, North Dakota
F – Ryan Dingle, Denver
D – Lee Sweatt, Colorado College
D – Steve Wagner, Minnesota State
G – Michael-Lee Teslak, Michigan Tech

All-WCHA Rookie Team
F – Kyle Okposo, Minnesota
F – Andreas Nödl, St. Cloud State
F – Ryan Lasch, St. Cloud State
D – Erik Johnson, Minnesota
D – Jamie McBain, Wisconsin
G – Alex Stalock, Minnesota Duluth

WCHA Player of the Year – Ryan Duncan, North Dakota
WCHA Defensive Player of the Year – Alex Goligoski, Minnesota
WCHA Rookie of the Year – Andreas Nödl, St. Cloud State
WCHA Co-Coaches of the Year – Bob Motzko, St. Cloud State/Jamie Russell, Michigan Tech
WCHA Student-Athlete of the Year – Lee Sweatt, Colorado College
WCHA Scoring Champion – Ryan Duncan, North Dakota
WCHA Goaltending Champion – Brian Elliott, Wisconsin
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Fred wrote:Call me a cynic but is this a who's who of players who failed to maintain a GPA of above 2.0

:roll:
Except Mason Raymond (and Niskanen), of course:

Seven Bulldogs Achieve WCHA All-Academic Team Status for 2006-07

excerpt:
Of the 10 second-year players on the 2006-07 Bulldog roster, seven have earned Western Collegiate Hockey Association All-Academic Team recognition. To qualify for this honor a student-athlete must have completed at least one year of residency at his present insitution prior to the current academic year and have a grade point average of at least a 3.00 (on a 4.00 scale) for the previous two semesters/three quarters.

The seven Bulldogs include wingers Andrew Carroll (physical education-Shoreview, Minn.), Michael Gergen (business-Hastings, Minn.), Matt Greer (physical education-Vadnais Heights, Minn.) and Mason Raymond (communication-Cochrane, Alberta)...

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

PE & Commuincations are you kidding me. Maybe buesiness, you have to do Accounting and economics but PE right up there with basket weaving

:lol:
cheers
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Yup.... and he'll be a millionaire.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:Yup.... and he'll be a millionaire.
maybe

But if they had taken a math course you and those players would realize that statistically their chance are not good
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Read this on the Moose page

The Manitoba Moose, the AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks, announced they have signed forward Mason Raymond to an amateur tryout contract.

Raymond, 21, just completed his second season at the University of Minnesota-Duluth where he appeared in 39 games, scoring 14 goals and 32 assists for 46 points and 17 penalty minutes. The Calgary, AB native finished second in overall scoring in the WCHA and was tops in the league in assists and powerplay points. In two seasons with the Bulldogs, Raymond appeared in 79 games and scored 25 goals along with 49 assists for 74 points and 47 penalty minutes. He was voted to the WCHA’s All-Rookie Team last season. Raymond will forego his final two years at UMD by joining the Moose.

Raymond was originally Vancouver’s second round choice, 51st overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
cheers
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Scored the game tying goal in a 3-2 shootout victory over the Griffins.....in his first game.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I might be completely wrong here but does signing an amateur try out contract waive a red flag? It's like dipping your toe in the ocean, not sure what it's going to be like. I would have thought that if he had real star potenetial he be signed to a large Pro contract immiediatly. I mean he may well be a player but has the bloom gone off the rose a bit ??
cheers
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

Fred wrote:I might be completely wrong here but does signing an amateur try out contract waive a red flag? It's like dipping your toe in the ocean, not sure what it's going to be like. I would have thought that if he had real star potenetial he be signed to a large Pro contract immiediatly. I mean he may well be a player but has the bloom gone off the rose a bit ??
From my understanding, not in the least.

The contract they signed him to was their way to get around AHL/NHL rules to allow him to play for the Moose down the stretch and into the playoffs.

He is on a try out contract to facilitate this, nothing more and nothing less.

If anything, the shine on Raymond has never been brighter. Coming off a first-team all-start selection over players drafted before him and early in the first round (IE. Toews and Oshie).

The Canucks will lock him up to an Entry level contract as soon as the season/playoffs are over.

There hasn't been a time in Raymond's life where the bloom as ever been as full.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

So you're telling me that they can't sign him to any thing other than an amateur try out contract until, when, after the conclussion of the season ?

Wow that sounds a lot better, I never new that. I took it at face value.

I recall Kevin Lowe telling DN "you've got a great player there" right after they drafted him.

The report I heard on the guy can make all his moves at top speed and speed is his game
cheers
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

Fred wrote:So you're telling me that they can't sign him to any thing other than an amateur try out contract until, when, after the conclussion of the season ?
Yep.

The try out contract was the only way for them to circumvent the rules. They could have given him an entry level contract (the same as he will get at the end of the year), but that would have stopped him from being able to play for the Moose.

Swedish defensive prospect Rahimi will sign one as well once his season is over in Sweeden (as long as time permits).

I recall Kevin Lowe telling DN "you've got a great player there" right after they drafted him.

The report I heard on the guy can make all his moves at top speed and speed is his game
Yep, that is his game. The guy has similar speed to Lombardi in Calgary, and that is damn fast.

Things are about to get a lot more interesting on the farm...

Grabner, Raymond, Hansen, Rahimi, Bourdon/Edler, and perhaps Simek are going to inject a lot of youth into the Moose lineup.

Time to start phasing out the never-was-men in Reid and Co. to make room for them once the year is up.
"We Will Rise Again"

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Do you think Bourdon and Edler will play on the farm when they will have a real low salary and there for help DN with his Cap size

Grabner still has another year of Junior

Plus of course they have Schneider in his last year of NCAA. this is the report on him

Arguably the Canucks' top prospect, Schneider clogs the net. And due to his technical butterfly style, he leaves very little for shooter to aim at. Schneider's positioning is as sound as anyone in the junior/collge ranks. He's also a great on-ice leader who works extremely well guiding his defencemen.

and of course there Koltsov, who i wouldn't surprised if they trade at the draft, although he is grandfathered in under the old CBA which means the Canucks can hold him unsigned for life if they wish

Hansen seems to tail off this year but then propsects often do, their next year when they know what's expected is generally when they shine.

If Raymond, Rahimi and Edler make the NHL there has to be a pat on the back of the scouts

And how about this kid, Shirokov

With 16 goals and 18 assists in just over 50 games this year, he's becoming as much of a sniper as he is set-up man. He finished 2nd on CSKA Moscow in scoring and is serving as an assistant captain.

Despite his small stature, Shirokov’s “Sedin-likeâ€￾ vision and nifty stick handling make for a potent combination and indicate he has the potential to be just as prolific a goal scorer as he is a passer. His commitment and quick work both in the corners and in traffic make him surprisingly difficult to knock off the puck, an asset difficult to find in many smaller players.

His commitment to improving his play is easily evident as well; Shirokov has told Canuck management he would like to play here and to learn the North American game.
cheers
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

"We Will Rise Again"