Should we resign Sabourin?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should we keep Sabourin around?

Yes - resign him
100%
No - cut him loose
No votes

Total votes: 22

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Should we resign Sabourin?

Post by Cornuck » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:46 pm

Now that we've seen Sabourin play and win for a couple games, what do we do with the guy?

He's showing himself to be a capable backup while playing seldom. He's affordable. So would you resign him before he becomes a UFA? Would you give him a multi-year contract?

Or do you think we need someone else? Some with a proven history.

Of course, this depends on if he wants to be the next Scott Clemmenson.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:00 am

I really like the guy and DN should resign him ASAP!!!!!!!
He seems to have a great attitude, the only question is if he wants to play behind Bobby Lu forever...........

trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:28 am

He was the best in the AHL last year. I think he's worth keeping.
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:20 am

As long as he doesn't mind starting 6-10 games per year sure resign him. Good attitude so far and a team guy!
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:59 am

He's adequate as a backup, but if we'll continue to be pushed to the cap limit, having a guy who makes the minimum (rather than whatever Sabou would be qualified at) might make more sense.

That said, stability is obviously a good thing too.

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:35 am

He's very good. Did you hear his interview yesterday? "My friends back home are working in the coal mines, I'm very lucky to be where I'm at". Good attitude, and very good at practice. It's not easy to try and keep sharp for a game once a month or so.

Hercules_Rockefeller
CC Rookie

Post by Hercules_Rockefeller » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:09 am

You have to give the guy credit, it's not easy coming in cold once every month or so and not embarrassing yourself. He's provided good, solid goaltending when he's called upon and has never complained about his role. I think that's about all you can ask for in a backup. I'd bring him back without thinking twice.

I don't know about a multiyear deal, maybe I'd sign him for two years, but I don't know if I'd risk it - depends on his UFA eligibility, which I don't know
Formerly Dangerous Dan.

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:16 am

Sure, why not. He's proven he can play well when called upon, and despite an annoying habit of cheating away from the post at bad times, he doesn't have any glaring weaknesses.

Schneider needs 2 or 3 seasons in the NHL before he will be ready for the big show, so signing Sabou for a couple of years at $500-550k on a one way contract seems reasonable. Why mess with chemistry? It's not like we really need a world class goaltender behind Luongo.

JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:34 am

Yes sign him, but it's pretty unlikely he's going to want to sit in Lous shadow hardly playing for very long.

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Re: Should we resign Sabourin?

Post by DavidPratt_ » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:17 pm

Cornuck wrote:Now that we've seen Sabourin play and win for a couple games, what do we do with the guy?
Or do you think we need someone else? Some with a proven history.

Of course, this depends on if he wants to be the next Scott Clemmenson.
I was a little uncertain about Sabourin, but after watching him improve game after game as he has developed his confidence, I believe he's the perfect backup for Roberto Luongo. If Luongo got injured tomorrow I'd probably wish Vancouver had a more seasoned backup who has played more NHL games (Boucher, Lalime as examples) but I like Sabourin. Good attitude, happy to be in the 'Show', and constantly working on his game in practice and with Ian Clark.

Re-sign the guy.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:49 pm

dp, if Luongo gets injured tonight, we'll be head huntign you.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.

Hockey_roo
CC Veteran

Post by Hockey_roo » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:48 am

Crazy not to resign him. I know he has not yet proven himself, but her will and has already shown glimpses of it. Also I wouldn't mind being Lou understudy for a year or 2. How many goalies get to learn from a guy who will, most likely, be ranked as one of the best that put on a mask?
If he can keep this attitude he will make a nice fit for the team.
Sign him now.

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:04 am

Hockey_roo wrote:Crazy not to resign him. I know he has not yet proven himself, but her will and has already shown glimpses of it. Also I wouldn't mind being Lou understudy for a year or 2. How many goalies get to learn from a guy who will, most likely, be ranked as one of the best that put on a mask?
If he can keep this attitude he will make a nice fit for the team.
Sign him now.
Look at Chris Mason in Nashville. Mason was an unknown backup for the Predators for years. Every year he played a few more games and got better. Look at him now. He has developed into a solid NHL goalie. Sabourin has the size and attitude to keep getting better. Re-sign the guy.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040

gordorama
MVP
MVP

Post by gordorama » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:06 pm

Would love to see Sabby stay.

Nonis us going to have his hands full keeping this unit growing, especially as the teams successes continue to grow.

Free Agents to resign?

Sabby, Salo, Sopes & Smoke? Sounds like some kind of hint from somewhere.
Funny how Bulis doesn't quite fit the alliteration.

Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:47 am

Ya I think we resign him cheap like. Its hard to find a guy who doesn't mind playing that few games. Its SO nice not to have a goaltending controversy of any sort this year