Chris Simon Is in DEEP Trouble

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:43 am

and there was something that happened earlier in the game....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:58 am

This was pretty brutal, but I'm wondering where the idea of a "baseball swing" is coming from... it's closer to a bunt than a full-on swing, not to say it wasn't vicious, and it definitely deserves a suspension.

That said, I see people on other boards scrambling to rank it with the worst incidents. All without exception put Bertuzzi/Moore at the top, and then there was some shuffling between this, Perezhogin on Stafford and McSorley/Brashear.

Are people going entirely by results (in which case this is a "non-incident," I guess, since Hollweg kept playing :roll:)? Because honestly, I'd take a gloved punch to the head before a stick to the head/face any day.

(Usual disclaimer of not defending Bertuzzi, etc., etc., but the reality is that sticks scare me way more than hands).

JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:59 am

Worse than Mcsorely no question and it wasn't in his face by the look of it it was in his throat or he was aiming for his throat.

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:30 am

Raises the question of what's worse: a hit you see coming, or one you don't. The one you don't might not be less vicious, but it's far more dirty if you do it behind the guys back.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:57 am

it's very interesting.

Bert's incident was magnified to the level which the Bush's military requirements not furfilled should have been taken to.
Cracked Verta what? I probably have a couple of that in my long stretch of abusements, he cared more about Bert's suspensions and money then his own damn health.

IMO the league will slap Simon with a couple games, nothing to serious hamper the isles playoff chances, cause they'd love to keep Charles Wang happy...else he might sign a couple more players for 15 years...
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.

Island fan
CC Rookie

Post by Island fan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:21 am

IgotachubbyforChubarov wrote:
I remember reading somwhere that McSorley said he was actually trying to tap Brash on the shoulder, and his stick glanced off and smacked him in the head. [/quote wrote: Heh yeah and I hear Tyson was actually trying to whisper "good fight" in Hollyfield's ear but his teeth glanced off his lisp and he accidentally bit his ear.
Edited for quote html
For some reason this off season feels longer than normal.

Island fan
CC Rookie

Post by Island fan » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:15 pm

Just posted on NHL.com he's suspended indefinitely without pay pending a hearing.
For some reason this off season feels longer than normal.

tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:15 pm

I think what made the Mcsorely hit appear to be worse was Brashear falling back and hitting his head. i was DISGUSTED when i saw the simon slash.... he looked like a lumberjack choppin a tree... I think he needs to be gone for at least the remainder of the season.... bare minimum
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews

IgotachubbyforChubarov
AHL Prospect

Post by IgotachubbyforChubarov » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:31 pm

Island fan wrote:
IgotachubbyforChubarov wrote:
I remember reading somwhere that McSorley said he was actually trying to tap Brash on the shoulder, and his stick glanced off and smacked him in the head. [/quote wrote: Heh yeah and I hear Tyson was actually trying to whisper "good fight" in Hollyfield's ear but his teeth glanced off his lisp and he accidentally bit his ear.
Edited for quote html
Well, with Simon, he had just been checked head first into the boards. He was pissed off, emotions were high, and he reacted by instinct.

McSorley was trying to goad Brash into fighting. He was level-headed at the time(presumably), and made a mistake. I think there is some truth to that statement.

Unless Brash had said something to piss him off, or he was a racist, I can't see him purposfully, out of the blue, attacking Brashear with his stick.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:54 pm

10 games should do the trick. This guy isn't a star, but a recognizable thug. Send the message. Jansen got three games for a late hit...and while the injury to Kaberle is worse, the potential for much more damage, not to mention the level of transgression, was clearly present in Simons hit.

OCWilson
CC Rookie

Post by OCWilson » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:17 am

Anyone playing hockey has to have the discipline to NEVER give out this type of cheap shot. Yes, it was a hard hit and it hurt Simon in more than one way, but like our coaches use to tell us, "get his number" get him back with a clean hit or drop the gloves later. I think it was worse than what McSorley did to Brashier, there is more force in the type of two hander used by Simon than the wack McSorley gave Brashier. I think part of what happened to Brashier was some bad luck falling the way he did and a loose helmet? There is no excuse for this type of action by Simon and he needs to be severely punished.

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:30 am

It's nice for Canuck fans not to be envolved in this one. After the McSorley and Bert deals it feels good not to be in the middle.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:02 pm

Simon - 22 games. they have 15 games left in the season. Earliest he could come back is sometime in the 2nd round if they make it this far.

This league is a joke. Campbell should be suspended.

IMHO intent-wise Simon's was worse than the Bertuzzi incident.
Eyes on the Prize

tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:07 pm

thats a joke. :shock:

I saw the interview from Simon after the game and he said he had no intent to hurt the guy.... WHAT! how the hell do you karate chop a guy directly in the face with your stick when your lookin right at him and NOT have an intent to injure him?? He should have gotten a more harsh suspension...
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:15 am

I think Mr.Bettman's toolkit rationalized it as that Bert missed the last 15 games or so, and our 7 in the playoffs.

then the lock out year, which they think they can't count it.

so 22 games... on paper sure...

but in reality, say, in a court, you sucker punch someone from behind, or chopping them TWO HANDED IN THE FACE, usig a HOCKEY STICK, which is, A WEAPON? ..

gee, i'd like to see Moore reach the dude who got whacked and say he'll represent him..

now thats drama.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.