Larscheid to retire after this season?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:59 pm

Fantastic article, very well written.

I will miss Larscheid a lot, I love listening to his genuine enthusiasm. Some people don't realize that it's his job to add colour.

He's made listening to Canucks hockey fun since I can remember (about the time of the start of the Pat Quinn era), and all the best to him when he does decide to eave the booth.

As for replacement, nobody can replace his enthusiasm, but I wouldn't want someone there who would just fake it.

Ferraro wouldn't be a bad choice, though he could use some more passion in his voice.
Eyes on the Prize

Mantle
CC Veteran

Post by Mantle » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:22 pm

mr perfect wrote:Many have forgotten that Larscheid was a sports reporter as well as a colour man. He was the one that broke the story on the Canucks signing Pat Quinn as president and GM. His interview with Jeff Brown exposed the dislike many players at the time had for then head coach Rick Ley. Not pleasant stories but still a good job done.
I didn't know that. I always respected the way he wasn't afraid to pussyfoot around his high level intermission interview guests and ask tough questions, especially with Bettman and his cronies.

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:10 pm

I too will miss the man greatly. I think he's the best. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING would be greater than to hear him call another final... and perhaps the winning goal for us.

He's honest in his call, and very discriptive, and dammit I've just gotten so used to it after these 27 years!

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 pm

Don Taylor...Mr Nice Guy...how boring would he be !!
Don wouldn't ever tell it like it is...that why he's great with Pratt...the beligerent bastard is perfect for Mr Softie...good idiot bad idiot...and I mean that in the nicest way...it's entertainment...I want a personality for color...Shorty is the perfect set-up straight man...color needs an emotional, homer, exuberent, fun color guy....oh wait ...i know a guy...Dan Russel... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Just kidding...I hate Danny Downer....how about Squire Barnes...he has a face perfect for radio....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:29 pm

Danny Downer is so right. Good call on that nickname.

I stopped listening to him. He still makes some good points now and then, but to hear him keep on whining about "circus time" and the shootout, it just ruins your day.

Shorty is a great straight man for Larscheid, they do complement each other well.
Eyes on the Prize

puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:06 pm

I'd miss the big lug too. Sometimes, he's not quite on the ball (played football without a helmet?), but he personifies emotion of a Canucks fan. In the dark days you could hear the losing was eating him up. These "bingo bango bongo"s this year - it's great to hear the enthusiasm in his voice.

The Robson - Larscheid connection was truly legenday (no offense to Shorty)
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!

mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:18 pm

His interview on the radio with Ed Jovanovski between the 2nd and 3rd period - at the end of the interview Jovo told him not to hang 'em up. The players like and respect him.

I nominate Gary Valk for colour man. Better than RF.

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:31 pm

Good call on Gary Valk...he's a bit full of himself but could come around on the radio..ie his hair & smile don't have to be just so perfect...we may get more personality out of him......although I don't want TL to leave.....too much history & too much Vancouver Canuck for him to just slip away....what happened to that great idea ( OK it was me...anyhooo) to have TL & Robson do a pay/view game for old time sakes....& generate a lot of PPV revenue...hell Shorty Robson & TL would make my day....where do we start the petition.......
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:14 am

Those of you who watch PPV -- how is Kirk McLean as a broadcaster?

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:53 am

Jyrki21 wrote:Those of you who watch PPV -- how is Kirk McLean as a broadcaster?
I don't think he's very good.

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:34 am

McLean called the Sedins "the Sundins"

I wasn't impressed :roll:
Eyes on the Prize

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:38 am

Jyrki, if you are asking because you wondering if he may be on the short list for Larscheid's replacement there is zero chance of that.

sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:48 am

Kirk has too many "uuuuummmmss" and "errrs" in his commentary. Then he has stretches where he can't seem to think of the next word he wants to say..............too bad, cause i like him.

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:23 am

Robert wrote:Jyrki, if you are asking because you wondering if he may be on the short list for Larscheid's replacement there is zero chance of that.
I'd just never heard him before at any length, so I figured if he'd stuck this long with PPV, maybe he was alright.

I imagine Ferraro will be the front-runner, whether anyone likes it or not.

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:24 am

going to miss Tommy. a shame but a great career I hope the canucks make his sendoff memorable.

Taylor wouldnt be bad as colour commentator.

Thanks for the Memories Tommy.