Smolinksi and Ice Time

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

WCE
MVP
MVP

Smolinksi and Ice Time

Post by WCE » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:07 am

AV has stated over and over again that his style of coaching includes identifying the who the top 9 forwards are on the team on any given night, and then playing the heck out of them.

It's not uncommon to see our fourth liners get as low as 5 minuets a night, while the other three lines vary from 16 minutes to upwards of 20 given the circumstances.

I think that AV must really like Smolinski and what he can bring to the table. The guy can play in every situation and is clearly an offensive upgrade for Naslund to play with.

Since his debut:

Game
Mar 4, 2007 vs. MIN 0G /// 1A/// 1P/// 1+ /// 0PIM/// 19:02/// 52.4FO%
Mar 1, 2007 vs. PHX 0G/// 1A/// 1P/// 0/// 0PIM/// 21:33/// 66.7
Feb 27, 2007 vs. STL 0G/// 0A/// 0P/// 0 /// 0PIM // 15:51/// 61.1

Those are pretty good numbers and I have been very impressed with what Smolinski has brought to the table. Not great at any one thing but good at pretty much everything.

Clearly one of AV's top 9 forwards, and I would argue that he is making Bulis and Naslund look a lot better with a true center between them.

Hopefully Smolinski can gel a bit more with his team, he looks like a darn good player.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:19 am

I'm impressed with what he's brought too. Both the new additions seem to be playing fairly well. Sopel is right in there with 17/12/14 mins/game, exaclty where I think he should be.

Smoke and Naslund have some serious potential together, Bulis is definately the weak link on that line. It's too bad Green was hurt and is out for a couple weeks, I would have liked to tried him there.

The Canucks went from being thin at C to being very deep. Hank, Smoke, and Mo. If only the same could be said for the RW. I wonder where Kesler fits on this scale, could we try his speed with Naslund and Smolinski? I don't think I want Kesler playing 4th line minutes, he could be used to motivate/replace guys like Bulis and Linden.

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:04 pm

Sure, Smoke is pretty solid. But, he's certainly no Cowan . . . :lol:

All kidding aside, Smolinski helps this team in just about every area other than grit.

What's really quite impressive is that the Nucks now have a pretty balanced attack from three different lines - which should give Nazzy a little more breathing room than he's had in playoffs past, as I wouldn't expect him to attract the other team's top defensive pairing.

If Green and Kessler get healthy in time for the post-season, AV will have some interesting choices as to who sits out.

Anybody?

Bulis?
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.

OCWilson
CC Rookie

Post by OCWilson » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:15 pm

I would love to give Bulis the heave ho up to the press box and add Kesler to the Naslund/Smolinski line. Bulis is the most glaring misfit on this team and the sooner he is replaced the better as far as I am concerned. Even when he is playing fairly well, I can't stand to watch him. I have to admit Kesler on this line might be fun to watch. Maybe his raw tallent and quickness would be a good fit? Any idea when he is due back? Something will have to give when he returns, I can't imagine him playing 5 minutes a game? :?

I think we are strong in Goal, on D and up the middle. Kind of what many feel is the best way to build a team?

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:07 pm

personally, we should've waived Bulis instead of Chouinard.

maybe AV has Bulis in the line up really is just to have the guys to be on the ball every game, because they all know Bulis can screw up with in seconds of getting on the ice.

A motivational player? other then that, Bulis must really have some nasty pictures.

Kesler could come in with Nas/Smoke, or centering Linden/Cooke on the third line. With Mo moving up to Nas/Smoke?

It's amazing how we can have a lot of options moving the top9, allows AV to shake it up any time he wants, with out significantly messing with it. Our top9 is probably the best in terms of depth imo. We have probably a 1b line, with a 2a and a 2b. and with Cowan on the 4th line, i'd call that a 3a line, 8-)

now... let's plan our parade.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.

Hercules_Rockefeller
CC Rookie

Post by Hercules_Rockefeller » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:25 pm

If/when Kesler returns, I would expect him to play between Smoke and Naslund, with Smolinski on the right side. Kesler and Naslund were starting to develop some chemistry before the injury, though I still contend that Naslund needs a true playmaking center (the likes of which he hasn't had consistently since Andrew Cassels).

It's easy to point the finger at Bulis, and say he's more useless than Chouinard, but you have to remember that Chouinard was redundant, but Bulis is still has a better skillset than any of out other options on the wing.
Formerly Dangerous Dan.

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:26 pm

My cousin is childhood friends with Cam Stewart, formerly of the Boston Bruins in the mid 90's. Cam always said that Smolinski was the most talented player on that team. He was very underrated.

Just thought I would share that.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:34 pm

Smolinski and Naslund are definitely showing some chemistry. I'm really happy for Nazzy and when Kesler comes back, his speed could be a nice addition on that line.

But what can you say about Cowan? I heard he had a nice shot, but it just shows how successful a guy on this team can be if he's just got the jam to go to the net consistently!
Eyes on the Prize

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:40 pm

Jeez, Naslund was creating a lot of chances tonight but no one could finish.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:55 am

Cowan sure has been the surprise of the season.
one goal in one game might be a fluke, even though it was a SHG
three goals in two games might be pure luck, even though none of them were empty netters.

FIVE goals in THREE games is a legit HOT STREAK, none of them being empty netters.

would this confidence drive him into being a regular contributer? a 2nd Matt Cooke? Anyhow, this will be great in the playoffs.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.

dallasdman
CC Rookie

Post by dallasdman » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:34 pm

Cowan: Cowanna get a hat trick and see what else they throw on the ice.

Smoke: Wants Smo ice time.

Bulis: Hes got flash Hes got dash, but he ain't worth the cash.

True and funny story..

My girlfriend went to university in Saskatoon were Sopel played for the Blades. She ran into him at a party there and called him soup bowl, apparently he got mad at her.
THE ZAMBONI STOPS FOR NO ONE !!!

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:42 pm

Jelly wrote:Cowan sure has been the surprise of the season.
one goal in one game might be a fluke, even though it was a SHG
three goals in two games might be pure luck, even though none of them were empty netters.

FIVE goals in THREE games is a legit HOT STREAK, none of them being empty netters.
It's definitely up there with the Dave Babych (1991-92) and Alex Burrows (2005-06) hat tricks as far as WTFs go.