POLL: Ideal first round opponent?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who's the Canucks' ideal 1st round opponent?

Calgary
38%
Minnesota
24%
San Jose
14%
Dallas
24%

Total votes: 21

nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

POLL: Ideal first round opponent?

Post by nuxfanindallas »

Now that it's a (somewhat) foregone conclusion that the Canucks are in the playoffs, I'm curious as to what everyone thinks as to who our ideal first round opponent would be.

Calgary would be my first choice. The season series is fairly even, and the Flames are a good team with a great goalie (kinda like us), but what I think swings the series in our favor is that we would have home-ice advantage. As everyone knows, the Flames have been Jekyll and Hyde in their home/road splits, and we're actually one of the few teams to beat them in regulation in their barn. It would also be sweet to get revenge for the 03/04 debacle. I absolutely hate the Flames and would love nothing more than to knock them off. Having said all of this, the Flames have the toughest remaining schedule and for them to get sixth seems kind of unlikely.

Minnesota scares me. Dallas doesn't. But I think the absolute worst case scenario would be to face the Sharks. I know they've been sliding a bit lately, but I don't think we match up particularly well against them, they've got a ton of firepower, and although it doesn't have anything to do with the actual matchup, we've got absolutely no natural rivalry with them. I haven't included Anaheim, Nashville, or Detroit because if we win the division we won't face any of them, and even if we didn't, I doubt many people would want any of that.

Having said all of that, what do you think is the best chance of avoiding the Sharks? In other words, should we cheer for them to keep on winning (and thus catch Dallas) or is there a better chance that they keep falling and either Calgary or Minnesota will finish ahead of them. I thought about this a fair bit today while watching the Stars/Sharks game. I had absolutely no idea who to cheer for--most aggravating!

Anyway, curious to see what y'all think.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

No-brainer. How could you not want your squad facing Turco in the playoffs?

Like the departed Dan Cloutier, Turco is money in the bank when the regular season comes to a close. Money, that is, for the Stars opponents . . . :D
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

I would have to go for Calgary. While this may just be due to blind hatred of the team and not upon our best chances of winning, their bumping us out of the playoffs a few years back is something for which I want revenge.

Dallas would have to be my second choice as I would definitely not want to go up against either the Sharks or the Wild.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Ropesauce
CC Rookie

Post by Ropesauce »

I vote for the Wild, Vancouver has had a tough time with Minnesota and to beat them in the first round could galvanise the Canucks into a long run ;)
OCWilson
CC Rookie

Post by OCWilson »

As much as I have never felt better about the Canucks going into the playoffs, I don't recall ever feeling like our potential opponents were more capable than this year. Kind of ironic. The one thing I have learned, even when there was less parity than now, is that you just never know. With all that said, I believe strongly, we have the ingrediants to get the job done. I think we will need a few bounces to find the back of the net more often. We have the goal tending, a good D. Our forwards have to crank it up. We can play very well and still loose, but who ever does win our division or the cup for that matter, I think has accomplished more than in the past several years. It seems to me, teams like the Sharks have the toughest time because of expectations?

It will be very interesting to see how guys like Pyatt play in the playoffs. A whole different game. I have to say, this team is exceeding my expectations. Fortunately, I believe they have more to show. I hope Kesler makes it back, I think his game is well suited to the playoffs.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

I for one don't care too badly. I would love to see the canucks beat the flames.. just so i can throw it in the face of friends here in calgary.. but yeah i think pretty much everyteam in the west is going to be a tough opponent. Some teams you know are going to be scary but others like Minnisota and our canucks seem to be dark hoarses that you just don't know how scary they will be. For some reason though. and i think its probably because they aren't traditional playoff markets so i kinda don't think they will do too well in the playoffs.. The Sharks and the Preds don't really scare me that much. They do but for somereason they don't... i just think both teams are maybe too young to do much. But im probably wrong. I just don't think that either will get too far. The Wings i think are going to be very scary if hasek is playing the way he can and the addition of Bert could play a huge factor in that teams make up. they would have three lines that can put the puck in the net. And they are still that playoff savy team with the vets.
Just for some reason i think one of Us.. and im only saying this not becuase im a homer but if Bobby Lu plays the way he can in the play offs we could be in for a few rounds... anyway back to my point.
I figure coming out of the west will Either be Detroit, Calgary, Minnisota, the Ducks or vancouver.
I can't wait though. We keep getting chinooks here and so it feels like spring is here.. and it doesn't help that watching the Wings and Avs today brings back playoff memories. Anyway im pumped and i can't wait to See the first home game for us.
earlier in the year i was hoping for just making the playoffs. but with how the west has been this year its seems liek you almost need home ice advantage. So now im really hoping we can win the division. Also cause cinderella teams don't ever do anything. It would be great to see the nucks go to the finals but it would be very sore to watch us get there only to lose. I just hope the canucks can have a tremendous run this year. Kesler i think is very much needed to be back in a uni. His grit will be a great boost for us that im sure we will need.

I was just wondering does anyone know how many the most game sevens a confrence has seen in the playoffs before? Cause just looking at how tight the west is i think this year might be alot of game sevens. Which would be amazing. Man i love hocky.

Go Canucks Go
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

I want Anaheim, even though it's a long shot. They aren't good & they're going nowhere except out in the 1st round.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I have 2 choices here.

1. Dallas: They can be beat. Enough said.

2. Calgary: IF the Canucks get home ice advantage the Flames would be ideal. Also someone has told me that every time the Canucks and Flames have met in the first round the winner went on to the finals. I can't confirm this, but it did happen in '94 and '04.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Linden Is God wrote:I have 2 choices here.

1. Dallas: They can be beat. Enough said.

2. Calgary: IF the Canucks get home ice advantage the Flames would be ideal. Also someone has told me that every time the Canucks and Flames have met in the first round the winner went on to the finals. I can't confirm this, but it did happen in '94 and '04.
'89 as well.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

I think its a tough choice... personally, I dont care... after not watching canucks playoff hockey last season I dont really mind them playing any of those teams. I think Dallas would be a good choice just because Turco doesnt have the greatest playoff record. But at the same time, a series with Calgary could potentially be one of the best series in a long time. And also defeating the Wild would be extremely uplifting for the team....

considering at the beginning of the season, many thought we would be going nowhere, im just estatic to be even having this sort of the chat goin on 8-)
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Interesting thread.

No matter which team the Canucks play in come playoff time, ALL our opponents will be tough in my opinion. All top 8 teams in the Western Conference, are excellent teams.

Based on the way the Canucks have played this season, I can't see the Canucks blowing anyone out of the waters. Similarly, I can't see any team destroying the Canucks. No matter what the series score ends up being, I think all/most games that the Canucks play will be VERY VERY close.

Now having said that, I think Detroit, Dallas, and Calgary would be good match-ups for us (and I hate using the term 'good match-up' because these three teams will still be tough as hell!).

I think Dallas could be susceptible due to Turco's past playoff performances (although admittedly, Turco does usually play his best against the Canucks). Dallas doesn't really have a potent enough offense to hurt Vancouver. If the games are destined to be close between Dallas/Vancouver, then it could come down to who's the better goalie?

The heir apparent to Martin Brodeur? Or a glorified version of Dan Cloutier?

As great as Detroit have been this season, I think they're still overrated. They FEAST off of St. Louis, Columbus, and Chicago. Hasek's 40-something body may also find a way to break down (as it has in year's past). Furthermore - I don't think Bertuzzi will live up to expectations...I hope. Since Detroit usually ends up playing "meaningless hockey" well before the playoffs start (simply because they rack up so many points playing against medicore teams), I'm just not sure if they'll have the ability to muster up the necessary emotional intensity. This BURNED them last year against the Oils....a team that was vastly inferior to them.

The Canucks seem to have the Flames number this year. Still - that might not mean much. Calgary still have Kiprasoff. Calgary may be a piss-poor road team, but they are one of the best teams in the league (if not, THE best) at home. In other words, Calgary could be an ultimate wild card. They could either start playing like the way they do at home on the road, or vice versa!

VERDICT: I like the idea of playing Detroit or Dallas. Calgary would be my next option.
OCWilson
CC Rookie

Post by OCWilson »

Funny, the main thing I do worry about is Burtuzzi. Man, who could dominate more than him, if he gets rolling. Detriot put them selves in a good position getting him with really no down side.

I think, buckle up and enjoy, we are all getting what we wanted, good hockey and our team has just as good a chance as any in my opinion. Plus, we did not mortgage our future to do so! I predict Ohlund will lead us all the way.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I voted San Jose for the sole reason that a west coast US team has a better chance of being televised.

I honestly believe that we have a chance against any team in a 7 game series.

and for what it's worth, I don't worry about Bertuzzi.
2021 - Playoff Bound
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Any team but Dallas.

Soooooo boring.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Canucks VS Flames, we'll catch the Ducks and gets 2nd seed.

I can see a Minny upset over Preds too.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.