An interesting stat

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Orr? Gimme a break, next thing you'll say Cam Neely played too long.

Mario Lemieux? Please don't tell me your comparing Mark-I ate too many Lays and I can't skate anymore-Messier to Mario-I beat Cancer, own a hockey team and still score a point a game-Lemieux.

At least when Yzerman played past his expiry he had the leadership skills to motivate his players to get to the playoffs. I don't think you would ever catch the Wings trading Yzerman to the Sharks for Future Considerations either. Highly respected my ass.

And by the way? How many Olympics has Messier played in?

Steve Yzerman: 2
Mark Messier:0

Oh...Trevor Linden: 1

Yes, the second all time scorer, "the best leader in hockey," can't even crack the top team for his own country.
So you're saying Lemieux didn't play too long... I see.

Yzerman didn't have to motivate his teammates to make the playoffs with the best team money could buy....but with his great leadership skills..ohh what did they do? They're known as the biggest chokers in the league for a reason.

02-03... 2nd in the west(But only by 1 point..because they choked at the end) got SWEPT by the Ducks

03-04 Presidents trophy winners....lost in six to Calgary in the second...another choke.

05-06... Once again Lost in the first round to EDMONTON... a team that shouldn't have made the playoffs in the first place

Oh and the LA series....oh and about 10 years before 95....

Don't bring up the Olympics and all the politics with Clarke, making Lindros captain over Gretzky and Bourque and having Rob fucking Zamuner over Messier and Nedermayer...

Oh where did that team finish again? Oh yeah 4th....

Oh and yeah...

Mark Messier: Six Stanley Cups

Steve Yzerman: Three Stanley Cups.

Trevor Linden: Zero Stanley Cups.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

First off some stats
Yes and Gretzky with the Kings had....
Kurri.Coffey Robitaille Blake...
Kurri - 17pts in 24 games
Coffey played a grand total of 0 games in the playoffs that year.
Robitaille 22 pts in 24 games
Blake 10 pts in 23 games
Gretzky 40 pts in 24 games.
oh, and Sandstrom 24pts in 24games, guess you forgot the name the 2nd highest scoring player on that team when your trying to say their good..wait, you only can come up with players who are sterotyped as good because, hey, their big name!

that year, LA out scored opponents 93-91 in 24 games.. Edmonton in 89-90 was 93-60 in 22 games... gee WHICH team had better defense? Gretzky amounted 40 points on 93 goals, Messier amounted 31points on his team's 93 goals, so.. who had better support?
Messier had 20PIM while Gretzky had 4PIM in respective years, so Gretzky would relativly be on the ice more often the Messier...

next up :
Are you calling Gretzky a liar?
rofl...So you'd want Gretzky to come to center ice, and tell the fans how Messier was a bum and couldn't even lead a team with Bure and Mogily as his wingers?.. no, he considers Messier as a friend, so he wouldn't embrasses him ...

Mario
Need I remind you that Mario played 2 less seasons then your idol?
Mario played til he was 40, Messier played till he was 43.

Mario had 22 points in 26 games in his last season.Messier had 43 points in 76 games.
Mario would've out scored Messier by about 20 points. Mario battled cancer, Messier battled the temptation of eating other people's Lays.

And... what a surprise. No olympics.. I never thought about that one.

Yzerman played on ONE damn leg in the playoffs. He suffered a serious eye injury, you want a picture? The biggest choker in your opinon advanced to the cup finals 4 times in a 10 year span 95-04. won 3 times!! While Rangers.. during Messier's stay in NY, made the playoffs a grand total of 5 times.

Gee, 02-03, they lost to the eventual Conne Smythe WINNER.wait..03-04 Calgary? 04-05 Oilers? aren't those the eventual WESTERN CONFERENCE WINNERS? gee, if whoever beated got SWEPTED next series, then you'd really can apply the theory that it's a choke...
wait.. when did that happen.. 96-97 Rangers Losing the Flyers in ECF..then Flyers got SWEPT by the DETROIT REDWINGS, led by? Yzerman.

Fact is, GMs decided that Messier was not worth a roster spot on any given year, Period.

You really want us to remind you that, Messier had Gretzky to win his first 4 cups, then had the other guys win the 5th and 6th cup for him?
I pointed out the 89-90 VS 92-93 arguement, let's move to 93-94
wait a minute, Messier led the Rangers to the cup, but he wasn't the Conne Smythe winner? gee.. guess he wasn't really the HEART AND SOUL of the team..

Messier 30points in 23 games
Graves 17 in 23
Zubov 19 in 22
Leetch 34 in 23
Larmer 16 in 23
Kovalev 21 in 23

The team also consisted of the likes of Tikkanen Glenn Anderson, Nooan, Matteau, Nemchinov, CRAIG MacTavish, Lowe, and most of all .. Richter..

Richter had 2.07GAA, 4 Shutouts, .927 Save Percentage!!!! woah woah woah, with that kind of goaltending, ..VS....

Ranford for your 89-90 Oilers, 2.53GAA 1 SO and .912 SV%
Hrudey for Gretzky 92-93 Kings, 3.52GAA 0 SO and 887 SV%

GEE, who had better support?

Your probably laughing your head off now that you've made me spent the pass half an hour researching, and finding these exact stats.

I'm very tired.
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Once again, I never ever compared Messier and Lemieux I just said Lemieux held on too long which he did...and if you can't see that, well...you're blind.

Also, you say the other guys won the cup for Messier in 89-90 and 93-94 what a joke you are.

Here's some of the players that carried Yzerman to the cup- Yzerman had guys like Lidstrom, Hull, Shanahan, Larionov, Hasek, Chelios, Draper, Robitaille, Fedorov.

Hmm what do I see here....two defensemen who combined have SEVEN Norris trophies ( and were 1, 2 in Norris voting the 02 year)....a World class goalie...hell maybe even top 5 all time.... 1 700 goal scorer and 2 600 goal scorers...

and so what if the red wings lost to the soon to be West Champions? They were still 1st in the league or West losing to such low seeds....it's a choke and it's a very bad choke.

Oh and it looks also according to you that since Messier didn't win the Conn Smythe or lead the rangers in points in the playoffs he wasn't the leader of the Rangers? hmm funny I guess your god and savior Trevor Linden isn't all he is cracked up to be, that bum wasn't even top 2 in our most valueable players in the cup run ( Mclean and Bure were)

Oh here is a little quote I enjoy....

"I think my biggest influence has been Messier," says Naslund. "Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund- Feb 19th, 04.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Cornuck wrote: Messier is the herpes sore on the Canucks organization - no matter how much we want to forget that we didn't get involved with him, his name still keeps popping up like a festering sore.
Can I use that quote?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:Once again, I never ever compared Messier and Lemieux I just said Lemieux held on too long which he did...and if you can't see that, well...you're blind.
Why don't you list Gordie Howe too? We proved you wrong and you keep rewrittig the same thing and putting down other people? Can you prove to me how much better was Messier then Mario at their last few seasons? How can you justify saying Mario stayed too long while Messier didn't?
JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:Here's some of the players that carried Yzerman to the cup- Yzerman had guys like Lidstrom, Hull, Shanahan, Larionov, Hasek, Chelios, Draper, Robitaille, Fedorov.
Hmm what do I see here....two defensemen who combined have SEVEN Norris trophies ( and were 1, 2 in Norris voting the 02 year)....a World class goalie...hell maybe even top 5 all time.... 1 700 goal scorer and 2 600 goal scorers...
Man, I don't even know where to start on this,

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leag ... 41997.html
96-97 Roster, First Detroit Cup in their recent dynasty, Vernon was the goalie, not Hasek. 1.76GAA .927SV% 1SO, aquried two seasons before the cup winning season.
Hull, Hasek, Chelios, Robitaille NONE of them were in the team. Your world class goalie, norris trophy, and goal scoring dudes were not in the team. Shanahan (17pts in 20games in playoffs)came after two games in Hartford, Sandstrom (4 in 20)came in mid-season, Murphy (11 in 20)came at deadline, Fedorov had 20 in 20, Kozlov 13 in 20, Larionov 12 in 20, Lapointe 12 in 20.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leag ... 41998.html
97-98 Roster,. First, Osgood was the goalie, not Hasek. Though he had amazing numbers. 2.12 GAA 918SV% and 2 SO, with 12 PIM. Osgood was their own draft choice, Lidstrom was their own damn draftpick, they didn't TRADE for him, that takes him out of all your arguments. Hull was not in this team. Shanahan had 9 points in 20 games during the playoffs, Chelios was not on the team. Draper had 4 points. Robitaile is not on the team.. see a pattern? Fedorov was their own draft pick, but was injured most of the season, played 21 games only, but was amazing in playoffs 20pts in 25 games. You obviously forgot Holmstrom (own draftpick)(19pts in 22 games) McCarty (own draftpick) (11 in 22 + Cup Winning goal), Lapointe (own draftpick)(15 in 21), Murphy (15 in 22), Kozlov (own draftpick)(14 in 22), wait! here's your Larionov! (13 in 22). Let's see, point production is spreaded out, only new comers would be Shanahan (2nd season with team) Murphy (2nd) Larionov (2nd)

See a pattern? They develop their own talents instead of TRADING for them...hmm Do you want me to go through the Rangers Cup Winning Roster? I'd rather save it for next post when you post more irrational crap.

let's move on to 2002, http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leag ... 42002.html
Chelios came in 98, lucky luc in the off season, Hull, in the off season, Hasek in the off season, gee see a pattern?

Lucky Luc had 9pts in playoffs in 23 games, Hull had 18 in 23, Chelios 14 in 23.Guess who led them? Yzerman with 23 in 23, Fedorov and Shanny with 19 in 23,

Hasek went 1.86GAA, .920SV%, 6 SIX shut outs.

this is ONE year, which you can say that Detroit BOUGHT the cup with money, bringing in Luc, Hull and Hasek, who were all seeking the stanley cup.

Yzerman led Detroit to back to back stanley cups, dont' you dare discredit him. I'm surprised again that you only listed big name players, and can't seem to list out the REAL superstars, those who the little battles, it's really an insight into your actual hockey knowledge. Maltby is another one that you left out and usually aren't on the score sheet either
JamesOwnzSam11 wrote: and so what if the red wings lost to the soon to be West Champions? They were still 1st in the league or West losing to such low seeds....it's a choke and it's a very bad choke.
2002-2003, Joseph had 2.08GAA, 917SV%, what MORE can you ask?
Giguère had 1.62GAA 940SV% and 5 SO that playoff year. 1.5GAA against the Redwings, he was on FIRE remember that 3 shut outs against the Wild? Just HOW do you over come a HOT goalie like that? Granted the Wings has to muster the offense, but it's not like they could, neither could rest of the league until the the Cup Finals against the Devils, who had, Brodeur (The reason this post get on fire, YOU discredited us against him.) Devils had 3 of the top 4 point getters that playoff year.

2003-2004, Kipper. 1.85GAA 928SV% 5 SHUTOUTS. 2GAA against the red wings. but Kipper had shutted out RedWings in game 5 and 6.

2004-2005, Oilers were destinyed, they crashed and banged their way to the game 7 of the stanley cup finals. see something familiar? ALL 3 of these teams made it within 1 game of the Holy Grail!

You can claim all you want about Red Wings choking, but that has is something Yzerman can't change by himself, your trying to say Messier is better then the whole Detroit team because they choked... let's see...

Messier failed to bring playoffs back to New York during his last 7 seasons playing. The last year he did? Oh, they lost 4-1 to the Flyers in 96-97, the year the Red Wings SWEPT the Flyers, talk about choking, losing to a team 4-1 that didn't belong in the Cup finals at all. Either admit choking or admit that the Rangers weren't even strong enough to poise a challenge to the team that didn't even belong to the Cup Finals, your choice.
JamesOwnzSam11 wrote:Oh and it looks also according to you that since Messier didn't win the Conn Smythe or lead the rangers in points in the playoffs he wasn't the leader of the Rangers? hmm funny I guess your god and savior Trevor Linden isn't all he is cracked up to be, that bum wasn't even top 2 in our most valueable players in the cup run ( Mclean and Bure were)
I'd dare you to say this infront of Linden Bure and McLean. Who scored two goals, one shorthanded and one on the powerplay for the Canucks in game 7?
JamesOwnzSam11 wrote: Oh here is a little quote I enjoy....

"I think my biggest influence has been Messier," says Naslund. "Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund- Feb 19th, 04.
~ Watching Messier's poor attitude and yelling at everyone that he's the greatest taught Naslund not to do it.
~ Listening Messier act like a 5 year old when he can't have the C or number 11, Naslund has learned that he has to be more serious to his team. Thus his comments on captaincy a few years ago. The C is something the team grants you, it's a responsibility, and if the team feels I no longer deserve it, I'd be the first one handing it back. (Something to this point.)
~ A lot of poor qualities and bad behaviours that Messier had really helped Naslund to learn what he should never do against his teammates, especially demanding to trade core players.

Learn to understand that players simply won't bad talk about Messier, for fear that they'd have Lays shoved down their throat in their sleep, or worse.

I thank hockeydb.com, TSN.ca, NHL.com, goaliesarchive.com, for the stats listed here. wikipedia for scores and playoff brackets info, you know, Flyers beating Rangers 4-1 then getting swept in the Finals... James, you better comment on this.
Oh and Brian and CanucksCorner for the bandwidth that I'm sure gonna be taking with this click coming up.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Bravo Jelly
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

just please, explain to me who this mark messy fool is again?
Why does JOs have this abnormal love for him, and why the hell is he wasting everybodys time on a Canuck site where it seems everybody hates this messy dude.
Oh and JOS, just STFU about Linden. He may be nothing to you, but real Canuck fans appreciate his contribution to our team.

Oh, and Jelly, you DO realize that it is futile to try and reason with a troll or show them stats that you carefully researched. All they ever come back with is a " I know you are, but what am I" type of response. You will get more satisfaction from dropping cement blocks on your toes........
The truth and stats mean nothing to them and you cannot change their opinions. You have rebutted any illusions anybody had about that messier dude.
Well, any true Canuck fan knows what a cancer he was while he was here during the "dark days", and thats all that matters.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

meh, I needed to bore myself to sleep anyways..

very interesting though about the amount of great prospects the Wings developed.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

DonCherry4PM wrote:While there is room for debate, I would have to disagree and say that Roy was the best goaltender of all time. While his career save percentage (.910) is slightly lower than Brodeur's (.913), this can easily be accounted for in that Roy played for run-and-gun style teams in Montreal and Colorado, whereas Brodeur has enjoyed playing for one of the best shut down teams in the league. As well Brodeur in his fourteenth season still has somethig to prove in terms of longevity as Roy played for twenty years. None of this to discredit Brodeur. He is a great goalie and one of the best all-time. Just not the best.
Aaah, you took the bait. Sorry, Roy's the 2nd best, if only because he was a snivelling whiner, and thoroughly unlikeable. You don't think Brodeur, with his 12 shutouts this season, can play another 6 years? If he only plays 4, that won't be enough for you?

And how many Olympic Gold Medals did Roy win? World Cups?

Plus Brodeur has scored a couple goals, including one in the playoffs.

Sorry, Roy is a great goaler, just only second best.

And when Marty has the all time wins to go with shutouts, even you will agree. Too bad you can't enjoy his greatness now.

l
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

For what it's worth: Messier is a gerbilling p.o.s.

Q) So anyone that professes a love of him would be what?

A) Someone to ignore.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

...and somewhere a troll is smiling.
R.I.P. Luc.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

that troll is too afraid to post here again, cause he can't argue with stats.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Farhan Lalji

Re: An interesting stat

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Linden Is God wrote:Watching the leaves pregame show, they discussed an interesting stat.

Martin Brodeur has a winning record against all but 2 NHL teams. The leaves and Canucks.

If the Devils win tonight, it will only be the Canucks, Brodeur has a losing record against.
That is actually pretty odd (and at the same time, pretty cool. 8-) ).

However - I DO remember this one time back in 1998. :(

The Devils absolutely OWNED us one time. The Canucks were held to only 7 shots in the entire game (might still be an NHL record....I'm not sure). Canucks were lucky enough to score one flukey goal (some weird bounce), but the overall score was like 3-1.

It could've been about 7 or 8 to 1. :oops: