The Phoenix Coyotes Country Club

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

The Phoenix Coyotes Country Club

Post by DavidPratt_ »

I couldn't help thinking while watching the recent Phoenix-Canucks game how poor the overall Coyotes organization is. This is a team that is relying on Bill Thomas to score goals and help them win games. So what's wrong with this team? The truth is simple: The Phoenix Coyotes organization is run like a country club.

A country club you say? Yep. If you're Wayne Gretzky's former agent (GM Michael Barnett), a gambling buddy (former assistant coach Rick Tocchet), a former teamate (goalie-coach Grant Fuhr) or another former teammate (AHL coach Pat Conacher) you're on the team. Forget that Barnett would have gotten fired by any other organization over poor trades and poor drafting. Forget that Tocchet has embarassed Gretzky with his gambling issues. Forget that Phoenix's goaltending has been awful and that former goalie coach Benoit Allaire, a goalie guru who went to the Rangers a few years ago, was allowed to leave (remember how well Sean Burke and Brian Boucher played in Phoenix in seasons past? Thank Allaire for that). Forget that the Springfield Falcons are an awful AHL team under Conacher's guidance. No problem. If you're a friend of Wayne's - you're in the CLUB.

I could go into all the old players that Barnett and Gretzky brought in - Nedved, Nolan, Roenick, Hull. I'm just getting started. The point is this - the players I just listed all played against Gretzky at one time. Or they played with him. The point is, instead of drafting and developing decent players, Phoenix tends to go for old veterans. Friends of Wayne. Whatever.

What I am suggesting tends to end up in hushed tones - not only in the hockey community but also amongst the media. Bash Wayne? Criticize the living legend? I know.

Phoenix has no chance of getting better until the Coyotes are run like a hockey team and not a country club. Don't try this at home kids.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

No kidding, it's the same with the Panthers....oh god how I wish they would fold.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Hank Williams Jr.

Image - Howlin' At The Moon

;)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Maybe it's actually singing Stairway:

Image And as we wind on down the road... out shadows taller than our souls...
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

I heard Darren Pang commenting on this point last night and he said they have finally come to realize that the one thing in a persons life that doesn't change is his character...

He didn't say it in those exact words, but that was the gist of what he was saying...

Time will tell if they stop bringing in character challenged players...

Take care...
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

rikster wrote:I heard Darren Pang commenting on this point last night and he said they have finally come to realize that the one thing in a persons life that doesn't change is his character...

He didn't say it in those exact words, but that was the gist of what he was saying...

Time will tell if they stop bringing in character challenged players...

Take care...
Darren did point to guys like JR as being a problem in the locker room. What he didn't say is how the organization is run under a 'crony system'. Phoenix will miss the playoffs yet again until they clean house beyond the locker room.

dp

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

gee when messier gets to be GM.. will we see Richter as goalie coach.. Leech as his assistant...Adam Graves as his coach... and Esa Tikkanen as his body guard? ...

rofl ..

wait.. Messier will never get a GM job... nvm
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Jelly wrote:gee when messier gets to be GM..
Great... then JamesOwnzSam11 will be hired as his assistant ...

Did Gretzky or someone in the club now admit that it was all a failure (drafts as an example) and say they are now starting over?

What do the fans think when hearing stuff like that? Ok honey.. put us on the season's tickets list.. five years to save up!
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Well, they have a fairly solid defense, but will need to replace their goalie soon. With so much cap room, they could easily turn it around quite quickly.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Yeah the new CBA does seem to forgive the idiots quickly. You have to think that the prime subject right now is how to remove Gretsky without making him look like a moron. As they won't be able to attract a new coach while Barnet is GM, it's going to be difficult to get rid of both of them and still avoid the embarrassment.

But I guess that's why we have spin doctors. It's sure going to be interesting to read the story though :D
cheers
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

hey, no CBA is gonna save Charles Wang ....

you'd THINK that they'd include a max length on a contract during the rewriting of the CBA..

i'm just waiting for Wang to offer a 10 year contract to Smyth..
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

What I am suggesting tends to end up in hushed tones - not only in the hockey community but also amongst the media. Bash Wayne? Criticize the living legend? I know.
I can remember many people predicting Gretzky would be a huge success as owner. Then he hired his friends as g.m., coach, scouts..... could tell it was a disaster waiting to happen.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Jelly wrote:gee when messier gets to be GM.. will we see Richter as goalie coach.. Leech as his assistant...Adam Graves as his coach... and Esa Tikkanen as his body guard? ...

rofl ..

wait.. Messier will never get a GM job... nvm
I don't think you're that far off! If Messier was made GM of a hockey organization, this is a list of who would help him run it:

Messier - GM
Head Coach - Mike Keenan
Assistant coaches - Glen Anderson and Charlie Huddy
Goalie coach - Mike Richter
Scouts - Esa Tikkanen, Jay Wells, Stephane Matteau
AHL Coach - Adam Graves

dp

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Messier - GM
Head Coach - Mike Keenan
AHL Coach - Adam Graves

Keenan as head coach for Messier. What a match made in hell. :lol:
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

randymeeks wrote:
Messier - GM
Head Coach - Mike Keenan
AHL Coach - Adam Graves

Keenan as head coach for Messier. What a match made in hell. :lol:
I can guarantee you that if Messier became a GM, Keenan would automatically be his head coach.

I also forgot that Keith and Brent Gretzky are both scouts for the Phoenix Coyotes Country Club.

If Mark Messier became a GM, his assistant GM would be his Dad, Doug Messier.

dp