trade diary of brian burke

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

magnum44
CC Veteran

trade diary of brian burke

Post by magnum44 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 am

Saw this on hf and thought it was kind of interestig. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/n ... iary_x.htm
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:16 am

Ah Burkie. The best line:
I talk to Florida assistant GM Randy Sexton about Todd Bertuzzi, and he tells me "the guy we like is Perry." I offer him profanity. If you are offended by profanity, it's difficult to make a trade in the NHL. If you are going to try to rob me, at least wear a mask.
Still I see a good core in Anaheim but here's a team that has struggled since Christmas and it wasn't all due to Pronger missing time. They had a playoff series victory last year and should be looking to make the big push. Sure he acquired Pronger but he sacrificed some offensive depth to do so (as well as a good young D-man). It seems to me that Burke had a great chance to put the team over the top at the deadline and failed to do so. The same story as a canuck GM. He was in on Guerin. In on Tkachuk. In on Smyth. He just can't seem to land the impact player when he needs to.

orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:24 am

That talk of Vancouver wanting to re-sign Salo makes me happy.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:02 am

I like Burke's mentality. Sure, he could have traded Perry in a package for pretty much anybody, but why sacrifice your future for a guy who will benefit you only two months. Like it or not, even with a Forsberg, Bertuzzi or Tkachuk the odds are always AGAINST winning the cup. Favorites be damned, I'm not sacrificing a young, cheap, on-the-roster player PLUS future draft picks for a guy that will only be there 2 months.

Interesting to note, the oilers didn't really get any roster players for Smyth...and they didn't get the haul that St.Lous did for Keith. I think Lowe really messed up that deal.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:07 am

Great link. Interesting to see that Smyth was being shopped around earlier. Good news about Salo as well - hopefully that will work out for us.

With that information, it will be interesting to see how the Ducks do, and 'what could have been'.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

kingofrockstars
MVP
MVP

Post by kingofrockstars » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:57 am

Every time the media asks a G.M. about a player on another team they always respond with "It would be tampering to comment on a player under contract to another team blah blah blah......". It's cool to see what actually goes on leading up to deadline day. I love the part where Burke says this is the most fun he has all year.

Now Burkie, about those tampering fines.........
The police never think it's as funny as you do

Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:12 pm

kingofrockstars wrote:Every time the media asks a G.M. about a player on another team they always respond with "It would be tampering to comment on a player under contract to another team blah blah blah......". It's cool to see what actually goes on leading up to deadline day. I love the part where Burke says this is the most fun he has all year.

Now Burkie, about those tampering fines.........
It's interesting how he avoided to make any comment on TSN, but the fact is that this is an article written without any direct quote. The fact is that Burke has never been shy making comments in semi-public occasions such as a talk to season ticket holders or members of an organization, so it's possible that he considered this piece a gray area that he can get by without being fined. NHL usually only fines GMs for criticizing the officials or the league only. With so many UFAs signings early on the first day, you have to think that the league turns a blind eye to tampering anyway.

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

wow..you really wonder when would Burke get to replace Gary-Expansion-Sellout-Bettman...

Burke would be a very interesting commish none the less...

"Agree to the CBA or I'll drive you to the airport!"

rofl...it shows that he doesn't care about the fine prints of whatever rules Bettman wants... this is HOCKEY for god's sake.. it's a Canadian tradition.. a culture! .. who cares if stuff's leaked... it's not like how Bush and Osama has business ties.... it's just part of the game... as long as it doesn't kill 3000 ppl....
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:37 pm

Is it really tampering if the story is published after the deadline? Pretty sure it isn't. I don;t think their was a player or team mentioned on that list that didn't know they were on teh trade block.

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:31 pm

Great insight, really enjoyed reading that. Thanks.

Hopefuly Nonis has made some real headway on the Salo front. That way we don't have to shell out to re-sign Sopel in a potential desperation move this summer.

Does anyone know what the deal would be if we let Sopel walk???
Eyes on the Prize

IgotachubbyforChubarov
AHL Prospect

Post by IgotachubbyforChubarov » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 pm

tantalum wrote:Is it really tampering if the story is published after the deadline? Pretty sure it isn't. I don;t think their was a player or team mentioned on that list that didn't know they were on teh trade block.
That's my understanding of it. If Burke were to say, before the deadline, that he was trying to pick up said player, that would be tampering as he is influencing the bargaining power for that player. But once all is said and done, it doesn't matter and therefor isn't tampering. I think.

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:45 pm

I think so too. This was released after the fact. Plus it's not like he was talking contract with other players...
Eyes on the Prize

Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:56 pm

Wow...great link. Enjoyed the personal insight and impressed that Burke would put himself out like that with all the other GMs in the league. There is a fair bit of confidential thrust and parry that I'm sure his colleagues don't want in the public domain.

The one that struck me as surprising is LA rejecting the 1,2,3 pick package for Norstrom. I believe that Dallas absolutely stole Mattias from the Kings. Geez could Nonis have offered Cory Schneider and a high pick for him instead of getting Sopes?

Salo being re-signed (hopefully) may be the answer to that question. Maybe Norstrom was too rich for our salary cap blood.

Cannie.
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:25 am

IgotachubbyforChubarov wrote:That's my understanding of it. If Burke were to say, before the deadline, that he was trying to pick up said player, that would be tampering as he is influencing the bargaining power for that player. But once all is said and done, it doesn't matter and therefor isn't tampering. I think.
Even that wouldn't be tampering, by my understanding. I don't see a problem in a GM saying he wants to acquire a player from another team (which involves a voluntary exchange). It would be talking free-agent contract with him, before July 1 (or whenever), that would be the problem.

orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:06 am

Cannie wrote: The one that struck me as surprising is LA rejecting the 1,2,3 pick package for Norstrom. I believe that Dallas absolutely stole Mattias from the Kings. Geez could Nonis have offered Cory Schneider and a high pick for him instead of getting Sopes?
A few people here were saying, "go after Norstrom!" which would've been awesome, yeah; but we've got a Norstrom already in Mitchell (and kind of in Ohlund, too, though Ohlund is more well-rounded). What we apparently needed was not so much a shut-down guy as someone more offensive (on the power play, etc.), which is what Sopel is for.