Now that the Deadline has come and gone...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Now that the Deadline has come and gone...

Post by tuzzi44 »

Overall, what did everyone think of the deadline trades? What teams do you think got the strongest from the deadline??

I thought overall, nearly everyone who was rumored to be dealt, was traded. i was hoping the majority of the players would have been dealt to the east so we could avoid teams getting better over here. The most shocking deal I think would be the Smyth deal.... I thought they would eventually be able to sign him. If hes leaving on bad terms I dont think he would resign in edmonton.
My heart sank to think about Guerin comming to San Jose... they just got alot better. Im hoping we will get the chance to see Bertuzzi play... the fact that he was traded for Conditional picks,I think this was the best possible deal to make for a player like Bertuzzi. his performance will determine how that deal goes. if he gets healthy and plays descent, he could be a good player for them come playoff time
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
West Coast Jets Fan
CC Veteran

Post by West Coast Jets Fan »

Surprised Burke didn't make any moves. I thought once he acquired that 1st rounder he would parlay it into a big namer.

Also surprised at how much Buffalo paid for Zubrus.....almost as bad as Atlanta paid for Tkachuk.

Really happy with the moves DN made....2 solid upgrades for not a lot in return.
1972-1996

3 Avco Cups
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

The Smyth deal REALLY shocked me.........I'm not sure what they got in return.
I'll bet Edmonton fans are PISSED!!!!!
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

sk8er wrote:The Smyth deal REALLY shocked me.........I'm not sure what they got in return.
Yep they are ... check on the "Ryan Smith to Islanders" thread ... I posted some comments from the Oilers website ... They got a 1st round pick and a prospect btw.

Grizz
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

Grizzly wrote:
sk8er wrote:The Smyth deal REALLY shocked me.........I'm not sure what they got in return.
Yep they are ... check on the "Ryan Smith to Islanders" thread ... I posted some comments from the Oilers website ... They got a 1st round pick and a prospect btw.

Grizz
A first round pick?? And a prospect?? Thats it? :shock: :shock: :shock:
I heard a rumor that he signed a deal with the Isles already, wonder if lowe thought he would get him back at the end of the season and it all blew up in his face?

BTW, I'm just enjoying this WAY too much!! :twisted: :twisted: :roll:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I think that in the end, we ended up in about the same spot overall in the west as before the trades went down. We have more depth, which was needed, and we didn't sacrifice anyone to do it.

Nobody else is our division did much to improve their team dramatically. (Calgary getting D Stuart, Primeau and Conroy (and Hale) helps them as well, but doesn't 'put them over the top'.

Considering that we rise and fall with Roberto, not much was going to boost us without losing some key players (or our thin prospects).

Lowe is an idiot - that's now a fact. Even worse is that the Islanders (who have some created some of the worst signings in the history of the league) managed to get Smyth. I guess Smyth was 'tired of giving home team discounts'. All Lowe had to do was call Burke and get a much better return.

Of the players that we may have been able to pick that moved, I wouldn't have minded seeing Brad May come back or possibly Laraque - either one could have added some muscle.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Guys, Lowe got the equivalent of three first-round picks. O'Marra was 15th overall in 2005, Nillson was also 15th overall in 2003, and now they have the Isles 1st rounder. O'Marra may not score like Smyth, but he's a good two-way player. Nillson is another good prospect. How much more could you ask for in return for a rental.

Smyth may still re-sign with Edmonton, but it's a gamble. As far as I'm concerned, Lowe couldn't get any better return. Burke wasn't going to part with prospects like Ryan, which is what it would have taken. The problem is, watch Edmonton nose-dive the rest of the way, because Lowe has thrown in the towel on the lot of them. How motivated would you be?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

I think either Edmonton or Atlanta are the biggest losers this trade deadline.

Atlanta basically gave up their future for Tkachuk, Zhitnik, and Dupuis, players whom I think will not end up taking them any much further into the playoffs.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

I'm surprised Dougie Weight wasn't moved ...
I'm surprised Marty Gelinas wasn't moved...

man.. two playoff warriors that we won't get to see this post season..
Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

Big Losers:
Phoenix: Loser team, loser GM. Hard to believe this is Gretzky's team. Greatness as a player doesn't necessarily translate into greatness as a coach. No direction for this franchise whatsoever. I don't know why they kept Roenick (old fart) and traded Saprykin (good young player). They need a new coach too.

Oh well, at least they have Jovo (not that they have a choice on that one :lol: :lol: ).

Atlanta: Waddell is the 2nd worst GM in the league (nobody can touch Barnett). He should be fired regardless. He put himself in front of the team, if he did it only to hang on to his job. Brutal trades.

NY Islanders: Smyth is awesome, but why would he want to stay in a gong show like that? I'd be shocked if he signs there. And why would NYI raid their farm when they have such a nice young stable of prospects and no chance of winning the Cup this year? Clearly this wasn't their year. But they acted as if they were elite contenders. They should have been more patient. They are repeating the same mistakes Milbury made.

Edmonton - no more heart and soul. Call this year a write off, and unless they can re-sign him, next year will be pointless too. They might as well dump Roloson's salary too (but they can't since he's got 2 years left).

Chicago: Smolinski for a 2nd was weak. Tallon should have called Waddell, he probably could have gotten Bourret + a 2nd. Didn't deal Handzus, and couldn't find a way to dump Aucoin's or Cullimore's contracts.

My Winner:
St. Louis: Tons of picks/prospects + Brad Boyes for a 5/6 dman. Easily the winner of the deadline. Now it's up to the scouts. Well done JD.

Dallas: Probably my early winner for the buyers. Norstrom is a stud and Nagy should help if he can stay healthy. They really had to mortgage the future and they did.

San Jose: Still have a pretty young forwad core, but added Guerin and Rivet. Had the Luxury of giving up a 1st rounder.

Buffalo: Gave up lots but at least unloaded Biron and Zubrus has size and should help.

Too hard to tell:

Detroit: If Bertuzzi returns to form, they will be a big loser. Lazy, dumb penalties, poor on the backcheck, and a cancer in the dressing room.

However, if Bertuzzi plays like he's desparate for a contract, they could be fearsome. This is a guy who can dominate physically.

And Williams for Calder doesn't make a lot of sense. Seems like a lateral move, but why get a UFA and risk chemistry? Calder isn't that much more physical.

Nashville - of course depends on Forsberg's health.

Vancouver - hopefully the chemistry is there, and while I'm giving Sopel the benefit of the doubt (what choice do I have?), I really wish the Canucks added more grit and energy (aka Gelinas).

Calgary: They have all the tools to win it this year, but in adding talent, Sutter has sacrificed their identity and their chemistry. They could go all the way or they could go out in the 1st round. They could be the '94 Canucks or the '95 Blues.
Eyes on the Prize
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

I was surprised Gelinas wasn't moved as well. I was hoping the Canucks didn't pick him up. Might be small in stature but he can come up big in the playoffs.

The flaw I see with the Canucks right now? Just not quite enough grit.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Spector noted that the Wings had a deal on the table for Owen Nolan... But Nolan declined the deal - which in and of itself is pretty unusual for someone who didn't have an NTC - apparently, he and his wife are expecting a baby in April; Barnett and co. asked his okay anyway - that's pretty classy of the 'Yotes to do that. They might have gotten some extra picks for him.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Spector noted that the Wings had a deal on the table for Owen Nolan... But Nolan declined the deal - which in and of itself is pretty unusual for someone who didn't have an NTC - apparently, he and his wife are expecting a baby in April; Barnett and co. asked his okay anyway - that's pretty classy of the 'Yotes to do that.

Or pretty dumb of the Coyotes. This is the cap era. You can't be a nice guy like that any more.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Except that other players may see that and might take that into consideration when signing contracts. Hopefully Nolan will remember
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Have the Oilers even scored a goal since Ryan Smyth has left??? :lol:
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews