Ryan Smyth to Islanders

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

One thing is for sure -- Smyth is under a ton of pressure to produce right away on Long Island, if only to secure his own financial future. Edmonton was ready to offer up $23.75 million in guaranteed money over five years, and Smyth turned it down. If he really thinks he is a $5.5-$6 million a year player on a long term deal, he is really going to have to light it up for the Islanders. If he coughs up a furball over the next 20 games, Meehan will be going cap in hand to Lowe on July 1, seeing if that offer is still on the table. I've got a nickel that says it won't be, as Lowe will be able to find better value in a crowded free agent market. In the meantime, he has the assets in hand from the Islanders.

Oiler fans need to accept the cold, hard reality that they weren't going to make the playoffs anyway, and it was time to retool for next year. In order to get to 95 points, which will likely be the playoff cutoff in the West, the Oilers were going to have to go 14-4-1 down the stretch. How likely was that? Not very. Also, Tantalum makes a good point in that measured against the other rental dumps of Tkachuk and Guerin, Lowe made out pretty well.

Goon2
CC Rookie

Post by Goon2 »

Suppose Lowe told 94 that the Oilers were going to re-sign him. Then he has an epiphany: why resign him now? He gets 94 on board: You're a UFA at the end of the season, take one for the team and go the Island. The Oilers get prospects from NYI. Lowe runs little risk of losing 94 to NYI (if you have been there you understand), if they even make the playoffs at all. In the end, 94 comes back, the Oilers weren't a playoff team anyway, and they get some prospects in return.

When this happens and everyone realizes what just happened, Oil fans will praise their GM. Instead of resigning 94 now, he waits to do so and gets something in return. 94 is praised for going along with it -- sacrificing for the team.

Then the next year comes along and the NHL enactes the Lowe Rule -- you can't trade a UFA then re-sign him.

Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

When this happens and everyone realizes what just happened, Oil fans will praise their GM. Instead of resigning 94 now, he waits to do so and gets something in return. 94 is praised for going along with it -- sacrificing for the team.

Then the next year comes along and the NHL enactes the Lowe Rule -- you can't trade a UFA then re-sign him.
If that works thats great ... but I have heard reports that the Isles have reached a deal with "94" ... I don't have any links to support that however.

Also can't understand why Snow would give up prospects and #1 draft pick etc. for 20 games plus a round or two at best in the playoffs. He must have something cookin'. ... otherwise he is drinking out of the same container as Milbury.

Grizz

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

I also don't understand the Oiler fans' outrage -- is it because they thought they were making the playoffs? 'Cause they aren't, if that wasn't clear. They essentially got a lot for an impending UFA, no matter who he was.
Goon2 wrote:Lowe runs little risk of losing 94 to NYI (if you have been there you understand),
:?: I think most non-Albertan NHLers would prefer to live in suburban New York than Edmonton, actually.

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

it's actually the Doug Weight rule..

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Smyth: This is not what my family and I had in store

What did he expect?

ESPN Link
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Smyth: This is not what my family and I had in store

What did he expect?
I believe he and his family wanted to stay in Edmonton.

Welcome to the cap era, folks.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.

supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

One thing against Kevin Lowe is that he spent 4.5 milliion dollars (3 yrs I believe?) on that *bleep* Dwayne Roloson (a 37 yr old goaltender who has never been a 1st stringer and got hot at the right time), and 2.5 million for 4 years on 3rd liner, Fernando Pisani. He signed Hemsky and Horcoff to long term 3.5/3.6 million (not a bad deals). And yet they were unwilling to "overpay" for thier heart-and-soul for so many years. I think one of the TSN analysts mentioned as such in one of their blogs.

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

Agreed, Lowe shoulda bit the bullet (and he still can, in the offseason) on Smyth and then tried to dump roloson (3 yrs/ 10 mm, IIRC) or just ride his contract out. Pisani he could trade for a defenseman, and he probably should have. With his playoff heroics, someone would have bit on Fernando.
Eyes on the Prize

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Larionov wrote:Edmonton was ready to offer up $23.75 million in guaranteed money over five years, and Smyth turned it down.
$4.75/year? When Roloson makes $4.5? Smyth was right to tell Lowe to stuff it.

I'd rather pay Smyth $6M than give it to Inigla or Naslund. He's more consistent, a better leader, and at least he knows how to go to the net.

But yeah Jyrki, I make $5M/year, why would I want to live an hour outside the largest, most vibrant city in the world, when I could freeze my balls off shovelling snow off my driveway in Deadmonton? Aah, maybe he has Syncrude futures.

Mind you, with that rationale, why does anyone play in Edmonton? Because it's not Calgary?
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

Molson Muscle
CC Veteran

Post by Molson Muscle »

Lowe did the right thing by getting something while he could....although he could have alienated Smyth by dumping his ass to Long Island...it was totally business...which is what it has to be as a GM, no matter how much you get roasted...he got something for an asset that could have walked for nothing in 20 games....picture Smyth and substitute Naslund in year's time if all goes wrong and tell me how you feel....i bet most people would say get at least something for him
Rehab is for quitters

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

A couple of quotes about that goddamned, mother-f**ing, detestable, Eagle-Scout, a-hole, Ryan Smyth:

"Durng last spring's Stanley Cup playoffs, Smyth took a puck in the mouth from teammate Chris Pronger. He spit out three teeth, went to the dressing room and returned after a few shifts with his jaw frozen to deaden the pain. "

''You go there and you appreciate life when you go there and see kids who don't have an opportunity to do what we do,'' Smyth said of the association he and wife Stacey have with the hospital.

''The Islanders have given me that opportunity and I thank them for this,'' said Smyth. ''I'm going to go there and (do) my best to make the playoffs and win that Cup so I can bring it down here to Edmonton. That's where my heart is.''

I absolutely goddamned fricken hate it, when against my better judgment, I actually end up respecting this team's divisional opponents. With the departure of Smyth, I now really only have Sakic and Gaborik to worry about . . .
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

randymeeks wrote:Welcome to the cap era, folks.
I doubt that this has something to do with the cap. As i know they still have some room.

I guess it was more wounded pride and a stubborn gm.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Cookie La Rue wrote:
randymeeks wrote:Welcome to the cap era, folks.
I doubt that this has something to do with the cap. As i know they still have some room.

I guess it was more wounded pride and a stubborn gm.
It was stubborness on both sides. I honestly think Smyth thought he could put a gun to Lowe's head. That there was no way the Oilers wouldn't re-sign him and that Smyth would be happy to solicit offers in the offseason from other teams. He tried to put a gun to Lowe's head on it. Thing is, Smyth wears his heart on his sleeve playing the game and off the ice. And part of him is his immense love for Edmonton and Alberta. SMYTH WAS BLUFFING. I think Smyth lost even if he gets more money elsewhere. He lost the chance he was dying to have...that is to retire as a guy who played his entire career with the team he loved.

Lowe did the right thing. He has a team that is out of the hunt and valuable pending UFA asset. He got something for it.

Also interesting to note that in Brian Burkes trade log linked in another thread Lowe was soliciting offers for Smyth on Sunday. His deal with the Islanders definitely wasn't last minute like many still believe (despite the likes of Bob MacKenzie saying otherwise).

stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

Here's what bugs me...

Granted, I may not quite understand this, because I don't make 5M, but what exacly is the difference between 5M 5.5M? Heck, for that matter, is he really gonna burn 4M in a year? Is that third boat that important? This is like getting a Jeep Rubicon instead of a Mercedes GWagon. Still a dang fine truck. If Smyth really truly loved Edmonton that much, why does it really matter that extra bit? If he's smart, and he invests wisely, he's not gonna be hurting for cash after his playing days anyway (it's commonly referred to as a savings account). For that matter, if he really wants to win in EDM so badly, why not take 3M (heaven forbid), and allow the team to have money to bring in other assets? It is "market value"? Heck no. Is it paying him what he's worth? No. Would he be the highest paid player on the team? No (really, that shouldn't matter).

I know for athletes of this calibre have to have a certain amount of pride in order to push themselves to greatness. But this gets rediculous. This is like Latrell Sprewell of the NBA refusing a multi-million dollar contract out of disgust that he "has to feed his family". I mean, seriously. Where is the sensibility here?

And if you think I'm being hypocritical when my team is paying Luongo 7M, I wish in a perfect world he would take less too. I wonder if these guys have clued in that less for them means more chance at a cup?

Of course we could all be kidding ourselves... it could all be about the money, and the cup just be secondary. Wouldn't that be sad?