TSN: Sopel to Vancouver for 2nd, 4th

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:05 pm

Yep, how many times THIS year have we heard "Fitzpatrick gives the puck away..."

Sopel should be good in the 15-17 minute range, with plenty of PP time. The TSN guys made a good point that for most of the solid rental players there was some serious overpayment (O'Brien for a first), and the Canucks have managed to acquire two roster players for two second rounders and a fourth rounder. Not a whole lot in what, with the exception of the Carter trade, has been a sellers market.

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:22 pm

After hearing Sopel interviewed on 1040 I am a more impressed with the trade. He said (and sounded) that he was excited to be here, and went so far to say he would love an extension and that he wants to finish his career here. I hate rental players, so it's nice to see Brent wants to be here. A 2nd and a 4th for another 3 years of Sopel isn't so bad.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:35 pm

I'm happy with these moves. We didn't give up much, and we made our team better. For a team that's still in transition, I wouldn't expect more. Sopel has looked good in the Kings games I've seen (meaning I haven't yelled out "thank god he's not a Canuck" at the TV this year.

Good moves by Nonis. :thumbs:
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:35 pm

The bottom line is probably this:
Nonis got the best defenceman he could without giving up major assets. This was honestly about the best anyone could reasonably expect seeing that DN wasn't going to give up Bourdon/Schneider/Grabner/Edler or a future 1st-round pick.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!

kingofrockstars
MVP
MVP

Post by kingofrockstars » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:54 pm

If we give back the Kings pick we essentially traded Cloutier and a 4th round pick to get Sopel back. I'm glad we're getting Sopel and not Cloutier. :P
The police never think it's as funny as you do

Mr. Bure #10
AHL Prospect

Post by Mr. Bure #10 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:59 pm

Just reading the posts here and I was surprised to see all the negativity about Sopel. I think he is a good pickup. While he had some mental lapses in the past he is a decent d-man with a good offensive upside. It is exactly what the Canucks need to get some secondary scoring. He will fit in immediately on this team. Thank God Nonis didn't give away a 1st RD pick for him. The asking price for players this year is ridiculous.

As for Smolinski, he will be a solid addition as well. Much better than Kesler or Chouinard. He can put the puck in the net and I look forward to seeing him centre Cooke and Linden.

I think Nonis is done with the trades. He shouldn't disrupt the chemistry that this team has right now. It is interesting though that Berard is available on waivers. If he could stay healthy, that guy can put up the offensive numbers. Even with one eye, he sees more on the ice than guys with two. If we could fit him in and he was healthy enough to contribute for the rest of the season I would pick him up. Having the d-man depth would be great for the playoffs.
Flames Hater

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:59 pm

Like the Sedins the sum of the parts are greater than the individual parts. The combination of Sopel and Ohlund really played well togther and I think to a degree Ohlunds drop off has in past been due in part to loosing his long time partner. Not quiet in the Stapleton and White or the Pratt and Robiltai pairing but deffinitly a pair.

Sopel also bring that elusive skill of being able to one time a cross ice pass on the P/P.

Interetsing to hear in being interviewed, his family was apparently very excited to get back, and he said I never wanted to leave, if DN gives me an offer I'd love to end my days in Vancouver. This is where he wants to be and that counts a lot.
cheers

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:09 pm

My initial reaction to this trade was, "Oh God no!" Like WCE, I was a MUCH bigger fan of Allen than Sopel, primarily because Sopel was soft and and seemingly inept in his own zone. If I were to choose either way, I would still go for Allen but I think it's all relative to the cost of bringing either one in. I highly doubt Florida would deal Allen to us, pretty much surrendering the Luongo deal completely.

After taking some time to cool off and think about this deal, I like it quite a bit. I'm really surprised actually how little the Canucks gave up to get either player. A 2nd and 4th is definitely worth it because like many, I think Sopel would like to stay here. (I just hope the 2nd wasn't LA's pick). I haven't watched Sopel since he left but from what I remember he is head and shoulders above Krajicek and Fitzpatrick. For one, he definitely compliments our PP unit. Like Bieksa, I think he has a great knack for getting the pucks through traffic.

More than anything else, I'm excited to see what this does to our d-pairings. Personally I'd like to see:

Ohlund-Sopel
Mitchell-Bieksa
Krajicek-Salo

Of course, in order to bump Salo/Ohlund's minutes I'd pair them together for the key parts of the game and on the penalty kill. I'd really like to see how Ohlund and Sopel play together. They were a great pair (insomuch as Ohlund was an absolute rock that covered up for Sopel's gaffes, though it allowed Sopel to join the rush more). I don't think Ohlund's been nearly as effective since the lockout/Sopel left. I don't know if I'd attribute that to Sopel's departure so much as the rule changes but I think it was Fred who made some interesting posts last year about Sopel's departure possibly hurting Ohlund's play. Perhaps the two are well suited to one another?

Anyway a couple of great deals made by Nonis, providing neither second round pick is the one we stole from LA, but even then I'd have to give Nonis a huge thumbs up considering how badly other teams have overpaid. Well done.

rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:17 pm

Fred wrote:Like the Sedins the sum of the parts are greater than the individual parts. The combination of Sopel and Ohlund really played well togther and I think to a degree Ohlunds drop off has in past been due in part to loosing his long time partner. Not quiet in the Stapleton and White or the Pratt and Robiltai pairing but deffinitly a pair.

Sopel also bring that elusive skill of being able to one time a cross ice pass on the P/P.

Interetsing to hear in being interviewed, his family was apparently very excited to get back, and he said I never wanted to leave, if DN gives me an offer I'd love to end my days in Vancouver. This is where he wants to be and that counts a lot.

I guess I was right. It was you, Fred, that is the big fan of the Sopel-Ohlund pairing. I too am definitely excited to see if they get paired together (I imagine AV will try it out... a Sopel Krajicek pairing is absolutely terrifying). Can't wait to see the next game, that's for sure.

Mr. Bure #10 wrote:As for Smolinski, he will be a solid addition as well. Much better than Kesler or Chouinard. He can put the puck in the net and I look forward to seeing him centre Cooke and Linden.
What makes you so sure he'll be centering that line? Seems that Cooke-Mo-Linden line has quite a bit of chemistry and has been playing well of late (didn't see the Dallas game, so can't comment on that one). I imagine he might get some time playing next to Nazzy. I'm not sure how this will affect the lines but I do know that I definitely like our depth at centre following this trade!
Last edited by rockalt on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:17 pm

Nonis, I think, did the best he could without mortgaging the future. I've heard the draft isn't that deep, so it's not like we're losing sure things in those 2nd rounders.

I myself have thrown a beer can (or two) at the TV after a Sopel brain cramp when he was with Vancouver. That said, if he can maintain a +2 with the Kings this season - especially with the goalies behind him - that says to me that he may have matured defensively. Thing is, it's not like he's making those brain cramps in front of Cloutier anymore. Luongo, I think, can handle things if Sopel coughs it up. He's been doing it for Fitzpatrick, Bieksa and Krajicek all season.

Besides, the guy can rip those one-timers from the left point with scary effectiveness and most of the guys who fed him those one-timers are still on the team. He can also jump into the rush if need be. Pair him with Ohlie or put him in the 4th/5th position, we're better than we were before this trade.

The other thing is if Salo is looking for the big payday this summer and Nonis can't afford him, then Sopel has already expressed interest in staying here and we may be able to get a bargain with him. He can consider this his audition for Salo's money and spot on the team. If it all pans out, a 2nd and a 4th for a non-rental player ain't that bad at all.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:36 pm

While I can't say that I like Sopel back here, I hope you guys are right in that he's improved his all-round game. I haven't watched him at all these last 2 years.

And I thought that maybe a Ken Klee could have been had for less, and that a 2nd AND a 4th is an overpayment for a guy who has historically disappeared for us in the playoffs (at least he did against Calgary).

Are the Canucks a better team today? - yes (chemistry notwithstanding),
Eyes on the Prize

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:44 pm

Okay, I may have let the instant horror of re-acquiring Sopel get the best of me. As a 5 or 6 Dman he may not be THAT bad.

I still cannot forget the many bonehead plays that this guy made in a nucks uni. While almost everyone on the board seems to think that he has matured and become a much better defenseman because of his astounding + 2 this year, given his -13 last year I think it is more of an aberration than an exemplification of maturity. But as they say "the proof of the puding is in the eating" so I will hold my tongue until the sour taste comes back.
Last edited by DonCherry4PM on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:46 pm

THE RETURN OF CLEATUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

good moves today. nice depth

the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:24 pm

I think it's been mentioned before that Luongo will make this Sopel better than the one we had before... But I'd also add the following:
1) AV's system has more back pressure from the forwards coming back
2) AV's system doesn't depend on the long breakout pass like Crow's did; AV's breakout is more about puck support and short passes
3) Sopel won't be depended on entirely for the PK or PP
4) Sopel is several years older and more experienced now...

He's a +2 on a lousy LA team; that's pretty good.

Also, as I posted in our forum: http://offthepost.net/forum/index.php/t ... #msg226135

Bottom line: DN is done acquiring players - unless of course he moves a roster player (*cough*cough*Bulis*cough*cough* to acquire another team's roster player... :shock:

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:34 pm

I like the pickups, and for the price in a sellers market I almost love 'em. We are a better team today. Everyone and his pet dog knew we needed a playmaking centerman and more depth on defense. Compared to last year, Sopel is more than just depth. He has this certain intangible that's hard to explain. He is good at the transition game and can get quite streaky with the goals... and I love the shot on the PP!

Naslund should be the happiest here tonight, I'm sure Smoke (is that his nickname?) will be paired with him right off. A couple games ago Nazzy was playing with 2 minor leagers and now he gets a seasoned vet who knows that Markus needs to get the puck, and if he can get that majical wrister back.. look out.

As for chemistry, I'm told Smoke has a great attitude in the room and Sopel was well liked while here... I think these guys will only add to the positve chemistry in the room and the ice.

I'm sure lookin' forward to tomorrow nights game!