TSN: Sopel to Vancouver for 2nd, 4th

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

TSN: Sopel to Vancouver for 2nd, 4th

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Return of the Sopes.

Dunno how I feel about this one, but it does give us some more PP ability, as well as a bonafide top 5.

Edit: The link, seems the Smolinksi deal is final too. "Conditional 2nd"

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197807&hubname=

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

SOPEL and BULIS...

there goes our seaso... we might not make the playoffs at this rate

Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Post by Kikbutt_10 »

I think Sopes can be a useful player for us, we have enough depth that he won't be relied on to play as much 5-on-5 as he was before and he adds a right-handed blast for our PP. I'd rather have Sopes than Fitzy, he's a much better puck mover...

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I don't know about that one. If used in the right situations, Sopel can be a good adition for the team...a definite upgrade over Fitzpatrick and should relieve some playing time from BXA, who sometimes looks like he's been asked to do too much. Unlike other rentals, he should insert back into the team nicely, with little time required to fit in. I know it may not be popular, but he is a UFA at the end of the season, and there's no way he'll make the 2.4 he is this year. Will this put some pressure on Salo, or provide DN with a cheaper, less all around alternative?

Assuming the Canucks spread the talent around, they could match up well against most teams' defensive units.
Ohlund Sopel -->Ohlund covers Sopes' ass.
Mitchel BXA---> Seems to work pretty well.
Salo Krajicek??-->Similar to the Ohlund/Sopel, Krajicek can move and Salo can shoot.

The PP is a lot better, Sopels shot is better than BXA, and offers them 3 guys that can hammer the puck.

I like the Smolinksi trade, gives us some veteran help up front, a guy that can pretty much play on any line.

It looks like these two guys might be what the Canucks were looking at, although I would have acquired some more toughness up front. There's always tommorow!

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

With 10 seconds left in Game 7 of the finals, Canucks leading 1-0, Sopel, in his own end, tires to flip the puck out of the zone, instead, hits Bulis in the butt. Buils acting on pure Builstint, whacks the puck pass a stunned Roberto Luongo.....
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Anyone have a read on what 2nd round picks these were? I really hope we kept LA's out of the deal.....since it cost us a 4th as well. A 2nd alone for Sopel is fair imo. Also, what is "conditional" about the 2nd for Smolinksi?

Thank goodness it didn't cost us King! :roll:

Lets hope for some toughness.

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

I don't see King's future as a Canuck though, wouldn't have bothered me if we gave him instead of that 4th rounder.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

You have got to be kidding me............. I thought I had seen the last of good ol' giveaway Sopel. I can''t wait to hear "and Sopel makes a cross-ice pass which is intercepted....." and for a 2nd AND a 4th. Give me a break. Genius, Nonis, genius. I thought we were rebuilding trying to get rid of the past.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

You guys need to get out of the past.

First of all you get a player who is only 30, who would probably love to re-sign here. He's also a right handed shot, and he's better then Kraicjek or Fitzpatrick. He has a decent shot from the point. We now have a 5th defenceman when we only had four.

A second and a fourth...big deal.

Smolinski came cheap judging by what the going rate has been for some of these moves of late. He adds some offense and leadership.

I commend these deals by Nonis. He improved our depth and gave up next to nothing.

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Spoel gives us depth and will make our power play better but those gawd awful giveaways of his scare me as they should any Canuck fan.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Sopel's giveaways got better with time; I think he was reasonably reliable by the time he left Vancouver.

And look, he's a +2 on a pretty awful Kings' team.

That said, it's a bit of a weird move, to be sure. Definitely not who I would have guessed.

You've gotta think he's thrilled to be leaving a Crow-coached non-playoff team to come back to Vancouver.

Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Also, people have to remember that the last time we saw Sopel play regularly was 2003-04. It has been 3 years and Soepl is now a plus playe, playing the 3rd most ice time per game among D-men in LOS ANGELES!

WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

The other thread was closed but Clam I would be interested to see you address this post:

ClamRussel wrote:
Brutal, this is SO disappointing. I was really hoping for someone w/ a physical element.

Would you have been willing to pay a 1st round pick and Hansen or Simek for Rivet?

In terms of what we gave up, I think Nonis has done an outstanding job.

I think Sopel can give our PP a big boost and another weapon. In my mind he is a clear upgrade on Krajicek and Fitzpatrick and he was well liked by his teammates in Vancouver before he left (sans Bertuzzi who is no longer with us).

Good value moves.

Would have you have paid that price for Rivet, Clam?

I think Nonis made the right moves. In fact, I would have made the exact same ones had they been placed in front of me.

Jelly wrote:
WCE, Sopel's Bulis factor is still VERY dangerous to our success..

Sopel and Bulis...

You are talking to a guy here who used to get into regular pissing matches with Fred over the Sopel vs Allen debate...it was a weekly event for a while.

Sopel has improved since he left Vancouver, and there is no argument in my mind that he is a better d-man than either Krajicek or Fitzpatrick; and both of those guys have their own modified 'Bulis' moments, especially lately.

Obviously like any deal we will have to wait and see. In my mind, in terms of what we gave up for these guys with how crazy the market has been (a 1st and Georges for Rivet? Terrible), we got a good deal.

I was one of Sopel's worst critics while he was here but I have seen him play since he left Vancouver and I think he addresses one of our needs. A PP QB and a guy who is capable of giving anywhere from 15-20 minutes a night of good hockey as long as he is not matched up against the other team's top line.

Clear upgrade on Krajicek and Fitzpatrick. Gives us a guy who can hammer cross-ice one-timers on the PP, has good relationships with a lot of guys in the room, and who is rumoured to be willing to sign for well below market value to return to Vancouver once the season is done.

Good value deal.
Last edited by WCE on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season

sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

I was jumping for joy when Sopel left town and took his brutal give-aways with him.. However, we all know it takes some d-men longer to develop and understand the game. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt. If he comes back and continues his screw up ways, then scream for his head, but give the guy a chance.

I never thought I would be saying that............

Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Yeah sorry guys, we had three topics going on one thread, so I locked all except the earliest posted one. This one won by a minute. :)