Baumgarnter claimed by the Stars

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Baumgarnter claimed by the Stars

Post by ClamRussel » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:58 am

Sure we all probably heard this during the game but just in case here's the link:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197459&hubname=

Sure would have made a nice no. 5 here especially w/ the chemistry he had last year in the room.

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:26 am

Well Nonis never really had a shot at him seeing as the Canucks we ahead of the Stars in points at the time.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:57 am

The cancuks already have a Nolan Baumbartner in the organization for depth....Yannick Tremblay. Can play just as well on the PP and just as bad in his own zone. Why get another player like that? Especially one on a one-way deal.

WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:31 am

tantalum wrote:The cancuks already have a Nolan Baumbartner in the organization for depth....Yannick Tremblay. Can play just as well on the PP and just as bad in his own zone. Why get another player like that? Especially one on a one-way deal.
I think Baumgartner has more defensive acumen than Tremblay, and he certainly has a more visibile competitive streak in him out on the ice.

The difference between them is in their conctracts.

I know that Baumer is getting 1.2 million and at on re-entry waivers Philly will have to eat half of that for the remainder of the season.

What about next season? He still has another full year on his deal at 1.2 million. Unless my understanding of the waivers process is flawed , Philly is only on the the hook for 50% of the remaining contract this season and not next year. Can someone confirm or deny this?

Anyway, ceteris paribus I would rather have Baumgartner. But I don't think that the dollars match up in this case.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season

Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:24 am

IIRC, Philly is on the hook for half of that money for the lifetime of the deal. It will therefore represent "dead cap space" to them, money they are spending but are unable to put towards a player on their active roster. You'll see this happen to NFL teams quite often, as they choose to spread bonus payments out over several years. Later on, the guy gets cut or retires, but that allocated cap space is still consumed...

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:40 am

tantalum wrote:The cancuks already have a Nolan Baumbartner in the organization for depth....Yannick Tremblay. Can play just as well on the PP and just as bad in his own zone. Why get another player like that? Especially one on a one-way deal.
I agree with WCE that this is being a little tough on Bomber.

I, for one, have experienced sheer terror every moment that Tremblay is on the ice for us. With Nolan, however, it was more of a slightly gnawing feeling of unease . . .

That having been said, Bomber is not the sort of clear upgrade the 'Nucks are really looking for and not at the crazy sticker price Bobby - sure I slashed Valeri Kharlamov, but I've never slashed a salary! - Clarke signed him for. At that price, I'm happy to stick with the Krajicek experiment or even roll the dice on Koltsov next season. If Bomber was a UFA in the offseason, I'd probably change my tune - but not with another year on that contract.

After all, why bail out Clarke's stupidity after what he did to us on Kessler's contract?
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:20 pm

If Philly is on the hook for 1/2 his salary for next year too, then it's our lousy luck that Dallas was behind us in the standings for all of one bloody week this year.

I'm sure Nonis would have picked him up for 600k next season.
Eyes on the Prize

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:45 pm

Wow, that statement was out to lunch.

I'm not sure if Philly is on the hook for half of the salary or rather if half of the salary counts against Philly's salary cap. Any capologists in the room? I'm pretty sure it would only be for this year either way, which is almost over.

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:01 am

Philly is on the hook for half his salary, this year and next. Man that would have been sweet karma to have them pay us half his salary for 1.5 years! Damn. Clark sure made some stupid moves with that team recently..