Habs - Sharks deal

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Habs - Sharks deal

Post by Meerschaum »

Interesting move by Gainey, he trades injured 32 year old Craig Rivet and a fifth rounder to the Sharks for 22-year-old Josh Gorges and - get this - a first rounder.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197701&hubname=

Not a bad trade from the Habs perspective, they get help NOW and a first rounder.

Unfortunately, from the 'Nucks point of view, assuming Rivet recovers from his pneumonia and gets back to form by the playoffs, the Sharks D will have improved. Albeit, at a hefty price . . .
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

Funny, this year 1st rounders are being treated like how Burkie treats his 2nd rounders.

I think a lot of GMs are coming to the realization that windows for success are becoming exceedingly smaller in the salary cap era, and are more desperate to bolster their lineups come deadline time.

Still, I hope Nonis hangs onto ours, unless it's a "hockey" deal
Eyes on the Prize
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

I was surprised that Gainey was able to swing such a good deal for Rivet. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Salo if we could get something similar to what SJ gave up.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

magnum44 wrote: I wouldn't be opposed to moving Salo if we could get something similar to what SJ gave up.
After seeing some of these deals I couldn't help but think the same thing... Sami's twice the asset Rivet is I would think... premier PP guy, booming shot? I love Salo but if he could help set us up with good young prospects/players/draft picks it'd be hard to say no to the right deal. It's hard to say what that would be... a major factor would be having someone to replace him, so a top 4 dman, plus, say... a couple first rounders? :wow:
sounds crazy but so do some of these other deals!

On the other hand, there's always the theory of "If it ain't broke don't fix it". This team's playing quite well as of late and trading away a major guy like Salo would be shaking the pot. Perhaps thats not what this team needs?
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

Realistically I don't think Salo will be moved unless DN gets a severe overpayment. With last years flameout, new ownership, etc I don't think DN can personally afford to look to far into the future for the sake of his own job. Trading Salo sends a bad message to fans and the other players and just sets him up as a scapegoat if they don't win the cup, even if it was a good trade on paper.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever