Canucks to get new Unis in August

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Canucks to get new Unis in August

Post by mattola » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:52 am

"All we've been told is that the colours of the uniforms will be blue,green and white, but we don't know what the crest is going to looklike. The current killer whale [or orca] jersey, as we understand it,will be kept in reserve and occasionally be used as a 'classic'uniform."

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hoc ... ed&k=21324

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks to get new Unis in August

Post by Meerschaum » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:53 pm

mattola wrote:we don't know what the crest is going to looklike.
A portrait of Luongo should be fine . . . ;)
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.

Farhan Lalji

Re: Canucks to get new Unis in August

Post by Farhan Lalji » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:56 pm

mattola wrote:"All we've been told is that the colours of the uniforms will be blue,green and white, but we don't know what the crest is going to looklike. The current killer whale [or orca] jersey, as we understand it,will be kept in reserve and occasionally be used as a 'classic'uniform."

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hoc ... ed&k=21324
If the Canucks are going to use their "retro" jersey's from time to time, then I wouldn't mind seeing them use their 94' Jerseys....you know, the ones we went to the cup with. 8-)

RC51
CC Rookie

Post by RC51 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:10 pm

The Orca is hardly a "classic". Heck, the flying V and the skate are both more "classic" than the Orca.

As for what the new unis may look like, I hear rumours that the old Johnny Canuck might hame a comeback, but if this is it for the away uniform, I'm not so sure I like it. (The white one looks OK and looks like it could be for real but the away scheme looks almost like a photoshop deal): http://www.cyberbuzz.tv/

I do however like the colour scheme of blue, green and white (especially as it appears on the current vintage uniform).

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:12 am

ImageImage

If thats it I likee. That would be a MAJOR improvement over what we have now & probably be one of the best unis in the entire league!

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:46 am

Wow, those jerseys are pretty damned cool.

Of course, not as cool as a portrait of Luongo. But still, very fricken spiffy . . .
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:32 am

Really fantastic, these versions, and i wouldn't mind to have an alternate 3rd jersey with the Orca symbolic.

I still believe the Orca has something to prove, at least one time in the finals. ;)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:54 am

Those are clearly Photoshop markups, though, I'm sure they're far from official.

Moreover, I don't know who owns the rights to that Johnny Canuck trademark these days, but I'd be surprised if it was the NHL Vancouver Canucks.

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:44 am

even for photoshop, they are pretty cool. I would pay for those.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Reverend Smack
CC Veteran

Post by Reverend Smack » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:50 am

I really do not like the Johnny Canuck emblem. It would be ok as a shoulder patch, but I hate it as a full crest. No way would I spend the cash on the new jersey. This thing of a new jersey every couple years smells of cash grab, has the NHL lost sight of the fact that fans do not make the same money as the players.
The truth may hurt...but it is still the Truth...Have a nice day :)

stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:43 pm

I love the colors and the layout of the jerseys... it's just the johnny canuck one reminds me a little too much of the wild's third jersey. I agree, keep him as a shoulder patch... but I'd still spend the money. I'm buying a new one, regardless of what they look like.

You think the hardcore sabres fans held out on the boycott this long?

Goon2
CC Rookie

Post by Goon2 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:08 pm

will someone paste them here. The site is blocked.

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:32 pm

Since I posed the question whether the NHL Vancouver Canucks held the trademark on the bearded Johnny Canuck logo (I'm hoping not!), I did a little search at the Canadian Trade-Marks database.

One of Vancouver Hockey Club Ltd. or Orca Bay own the rights to a number of different trademarks, including the old skate logo, the whale logo, the terms "Russian Rocket," "Canucks for Kids," etc., as well as the logos for the Vancouver Voodoo, right down to the trim on their jerseys.

They also own this little guy:

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/app/cipo/trad ... exOnPage=1

Wouldn't that be a great logo?

Here's the thing -- unless there is an owner other than Vancouver Hockey Club Ltd. or Orca Bay that I'm unaware of (one of Aquilini's other ventures?), it looks like they lost the right to the stick-and-rink logo back in 1987!

They have since reapplied for it, but it looks like it isn't finalized, going by what's on the Canadian Intellectual Property Database website. So if I'm reading that right -- and I'm not an IP lawyer, so I don't claim to be sure -- that means the shirt I printed myself in 2002 wasn't a trademark infringement. Cool!

Critically, I did not see the bearded Johnny Canuck logo anywhere, including in the trademarks owned by the Western Hockey League; which probably just means it's been expunged for falling out of use. They could therefore use it as a trade-mark, if they got permission or a license from whoever owns the copyright in it, I think.

One other bit of trivia: in Canada, at least, the Colorado Avalanche do not own the rights to "Quebec Nordiques" or its several variations. The NHL itself does.

sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:26 pm

So, Jyrki, how sweet is it that the Nordiquealanche are virtually done for the year??

Sorry, sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.................

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:36 pm

i would buy these in a flat second