Atlanta gets Tkachuk and Zhitnik....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Atlanta gets Tkachuk and Zhitnik....

Post by Jelly »

First-round pick and a third-round pick in the 2007 Entry Draft, a second-round pick in 2008 and centre Glen Metropolit.

for Tkachuk

Braydon Coburn for Alexei Zhitnik

Wow, Thrashers really paided a lot, throwig all the eggs in a basket.

One of the worst move all season imo.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Only time will tell if moves like these and the Forsberg deal will pay off for the buyer as well as the seller. A cup would influence how these trades are viewed in a big way.

Having said that...if these are the prices being asked then I don't blame Nonis one bit for standing pat right now. You'd have to think the prices should come down to earth closer to the deadline.

The thing I'm having a hard time with is Atlanta's motivation to go for broke. I didn't think they were that close to being a cup contender. Sure they were a good team but were they THAT good that these deals could push them over the top?
R.I.P. Luc.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

if Nonis can fetch a promising prospect that can play in a year or two and a first rounder for Salo, i'd urge him to sell. Just resign Salo at the end of the year.

the market's price range is sick..

Carter for a 5th, while Zhitnik can fetch a top prospect that can probably play next year.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Holy Shit that is a lot to pay for Tkachuk. First Round Pick(2007), a 3rd round pick(2007), a 2nd round pick(2008) and Glen Metropolit, plus a first round pick(2008) if he resigns in Atlanta. That is insane. I'm starting to think we'd be better off standing pat. There is no way Tkachuk is worth ANYTHING close to that. I cannot BEGIN to understand the reasoning behind this one.

Wow, Nagy, Forsberg and now Tkachuk. Maybe trading Salo ISN'T such a bad idea any more.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

I think this deal is moreso Atlanta struggling to make the playoffs for the first time in there history.. apparently they are having a hard time getting people to care about a non playoff team. So apparently thats why they are overpaying so much.. you think though for Coburn they could have got someone else.. but i guess zhitnik will have to do.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Wow, Atlanta just got fleeced big time.

Has Tkachuck ever performed during the playoffs? At least Forsberg has done some post-season damage before - not all of it involving his spleen, either.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Meerschaum wrote:Wow, Atlanta just got fleeced big time.

Has Tkachuck ever performed during the playoffs? At least Forsberg has done some post-season damage before - not all of it involving his spleen, either.
my thougths exactly. that is alot for what they are getting.
Farhan Lalji

Re: Atlanta gets Tkachuk and Zhitnik....

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Jelly wrote:First-round pick and a third-round pick in the 2007 Entry Draft, a second-round pick in 2008 and centre Glen Metropolit.

for Tkachuk

Braydon Coburn for Alexei Zhitnik

Wow, Thrashers really paided a lot, throwig all the eggs in a basket.

One of the worst move all season imo.
Couldn't agree more. An absolutely TERRIBLE series of trades for Atlanta IMO. Tkachuk probably won't even stick around at season's end. Even if he did, I'd STILL think this deal is lobsided in St. Louis' favour. The Zhitnik deal is an absolute joke. What a sad sad day in Atlanta.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

I would say too it's more a panic reaction to get into the playoffs at all than strenghten up for a run in the playoffs. Beautiful. I have a bet with a friend of mine for a big case of beer that the Trasher will fall out of the spots. :mrgreen:

Now the beer will taste even better...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Seems to me this is a bit of a panic on the Thrashers part. They have fallen in the standings and since the new year are 8-10-3....and not looking like they are breaking out of the slump soon. They desparately need to make the playoffs this year to solidify the fan base. This is their 7th season and no playoff games yet. They don't make it this year with the likes of Kovalchuk and Hossa they are simply spinning their wheels.

So while it was a huge overpayment, I can see the reasoning behind it. Still, there are numerous players I'd overpay to get before I acquired Tkachuk.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Meerschaum wrote:Wow, Atlanta just got fleeced big time.

Exactly what I was thinking Meers .... Tkachuk has always been a guy with a lot of talent that just doesn't get the job done when needed ... from NHL teams to team USA ... always seems to cause problems too. We'll see how it works for Atlanta but I wouldn't bet your farm on it.

Grizz