Bryan Allen

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Bryan Allen

Post by Fred » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:54 am

Allen is an FA at the end of this season for my money of all the crease clearing defencemen out their he might well fill the role best. Be it as a rental or maybe as a replacement for Salo, but cheaper for next season.

For an extra forward i don't know but I am fascinated with Scotty Upshall. Drafted in teh first round played well for Kootney but never really transferred it in to NHL numbers. He's a free agent and I'm not sure Philly would be adverse to renting or releasing this guy.

I know these are not the sexy choices but frankly i think they're more in line with what our Cap will permit
cheers

User avatar
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:58 pm
Location: Timmins, Ontario

Post by Linden Is God » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:51 pm

I would love to see Allen back. A top 5 of Ohlund, Mitchell, Bieksa, Allen and Salo (provided he resigns) would be pretty damn sweet.

As for Upshall, I think he would be a decent fit, but I can't see Philly dumping him so soon.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:

User avatar
WCE
MVP
MVP
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:57 pm

Post by WCE » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:53 pm

I for one would welcome a return to the Bryan Allen era in Vancouver.

He was the player it hurt most to lose in the Luongo trade, though it certainly was worth it, and that is an understatment.

Allen's contract status is a bit unclear. I have been some reports refer to him as a UFA and others as an RFA.

Was Keenan dumb enough to trade Luongo and a 23 year old Krajicek for 1 year of Bertuzzi and Allen? Was he planning on locking Allen up long term and once fired the new management no longer wants to follow that plan?

Any media types out there, this would be a great question to investigate.

Fred, what is the world coming to? Me welcoming Sopel back or you calling for the return of Allen?

Yeesh! ;)

Bring back Allen! He has proven he can play 20-22 minutes a night in a nasty crease clearer role.

The guy just doesn't look right wearing any other uniform. It took a lot of patience and resiliance to develop and battle through the early injuries in his career.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/5733546 ... 43C349641E

Mods, is there a way to post the picture from this website right into this post? Or do we have to just link them?
Last edited by WCE on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season

Farhan Lalji

Re: Bryan Allen

Post by Farhan Lalji » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:53 pm

Fred wrote:Allen is an FA at the end of this season for my money of all the crease clearing defencemen out their he might well fill the role best. Be it as a rental or maybe as a replacement for Salo, but cheaper for next season.

For an extra forward i don't know but I am fascinated with Scotty Upshall. Drafted in teh first round played well for Kootney but never really transferred it in to NHL numbers. He's a free agent and I'm not sure Philly would be adverse to renting or releasing this guy.

I know these are not the sexy choices but frankly i think they're more in line with what our Cap will permit
I'm pretty sure the Flyers will try and re-sign Upshall.

I always like Bryan Allen, and I hope he comes back next season. With Bieksa's on-ice responsibilities increasing, the Canucks could use another "cop" out there that can drop the gloves. Allen fits that bill.

Since Allen is a UFA at season's end, I wonder if he could be had at the trade deadline (if the price was right obviously). Or would Florida begrudge us for SCREWING them royally in the Bertuzzi/Luongo deal? :lol:

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Post by Fred » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:04 pm

Fred, what is the world coming to? Me welcoming Sopel back or you calling for the return of Allen?
Who would have thought it, I'm not sure if it's the grass is always greener or you don'y know what u miss til it's gone theory :D

The interesting thing about Allen he can be had in the rental category or as a FA signing. He knows every one and I would think slide right in.

Upshall, can be had as a rental i suspect. and a cheap one at that. He's a RFA I believe but could be part of a package, who knows. Although he's a lefty he does play the right side
cheers

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:07 pm

Fred wrote:

The interesting thing about Allen he can be had in the rental category or as a FA signing. He knows every one and I would think slide right in.
Allen is also a guy that can fill in on the top 4 should one of Bieksa/Mitchell/Ohlund/Salo get hurt. As a 5th defenseman, Allen would also take Fitzpatrick out of the line-up (thank god).

User avatar
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Surrey

Post by *CanucksForLife* » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:22 pm

WCE wrote:I
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/5733546 ... 43C349641E

Mods, is there a way to post the picture from this website right into this post? Or do we have to just link them?
Go to
www.imageshack.us
Upload your file onto it, and select the forums link. Copy and paste it onto your reply.


As for bringing back Allen, I'm all for it. ;)
I Hart Luongo.

User avatar
levelheaded
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Toronto, but heart's in Vancouver

Post by levelheaded » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:15 pm

I'm not so sure about Allen, although he is a good defensive defenseman, I'm not sure he's what we need. Krajicek really hasn't worked out as a puck moving defenseman, and I'd replace him in the lineup before I'd replace Fitzpatrick. Fitz has been a lot better since the whole allstar thing blew over and is a + player.

I wouldn't mind seeing Krajicek and a collection of picks and prospects packaged for a solid young offensive defenseman like Pitkanen. Someone who will be with us for more then the playoffs. I know a lot of people liked Allen, but Mitchell does his job even better and can play more minutes. I'm not a big fan of the Rental player idea, and from last year's experience I don't think Nonis is either.

User avatar
WCE
MVP
MVP
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:57 pm

Post by WCE » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:23 pm

levelheaded wrote:I'm not so sure about Allen, although he is a good defensive defenseman, I'm not sure he's what we need. Krajicek really hasn't worked out as a puck moving defenseman, and I'd replace him in the lineup before I'd replace Fitzpatrick. Fitz has been a lot better since the whole allstar thing blew over and is a + player.

I wouldn't mind seeing Krajicek and a collection of picks and prospects packaged for a solid young offensive defenseman like Pitkanen. Someone who will be with us for more then the playoffs. I know a lot of people liked Allen, but Mitchell does his job even better and can play more minutes. I'm not a big fan of the Rental player idea, and from last year's experience I don't think Nonis is either.
If you want Pitkanen, Bieksa is the name going the other way, not Krajicek.

If we were to trade for Allen, Nonis would do so under the premise of locking him to a contract.

If you recall when the Luongo trade went down, Nonis specifically mentioned Allen as a player whom he would not rule out returning to Vancouver.

That right there tells you that Nonis (at least at that time) had an idea that Allen playing for the Canucks again was a possibility. He made this comment about Allen in lieu of him becoming a free agent.

A contract obviously would need to be signed - but IF Allen was aquired it would not be as just a rental.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season

User avatar
levelheaded
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Toronto, but heart's in Vancouver

Post by levelheaded » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:38 pm

WCE wrote:
levelheaded wrote:I'm not so sure about Allen, although he is a good defensive defenseman, I'm not sure he's what we need. Krajicek really hasn't worked out as a puck moving defenseman, and I'd replace him in the lineup before I'd replace Fitzpatrick. Fitz has been a lot better since the whole allstar thing blew over and is a + player.

I wouldn't mind seeing Krajicek and a collection of picks and prospects packaged for a solid young offensive defenseman like Pitkanen. Someone who will be with us for more then the playoffs. I know a lot of people liked Allen, but Mitchell does his job even better and can play more minutes. I'm not a big fan of the Rental player idea, and from last year's experience I don't think Nonis is either.
If you want Pitkanen, Bieksa is the name going the other way, not Krajicek.

If we were to trade for Allen, Nonis would do so under the premise of locking him to a contract.

If you recall when the Luongo trade went down, Nonis specifically mentioned Allen as a player whom he would not rule out returning to Vancouver.

That right there tells you that Nonis (at least at that time) had an idea that Allen playing for the Canucks again was a possibility. He made this comment about Allen in lieu of him becoming a free agent.

A contract obviously would need to be signed - but IF Allen was aquired it would not be as just a rental.

Those comments on Allen were made long before Bieksa emerged as a legitimate top 4 defenseman. To start the season everyone knew our top 3 would be solid, but after that noone was sure what would show up. At the time Allen would've been a perfect #4 for us, and was likely the 2nd most important part in the Luongo trade for Keenan.

Unfortunately our needs have changed since then. We don't need anyone to eat up minutes without making too many mistakes, we need someone who can man the powerplay and make that breakout pass. If we got Allen we'd have 3 defensive defenseman, and while in theory you can never have too many, in reality we can.

Allen is a nice idea, but short of him costing a ridiculously small amount (5th or 6th round pick) I could live without him.

User avatar
Momesso
CC Veteran
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:27 pm

Post by Momesso » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:39 pm

I too would love to see Allen back.

If we can package Krajicek + Pick/Prospect for Allen, (or maybe even get Gelinas in the deal too), I'd be ecstatic. Edler could be called up and Fitz can play the #7 depth role.

We need more toughness upfront and on the back end. Mark my words, Krajicek will be about as effective as Brent Sopel (therefore, a liability) in the playoffs.

He's not talented enough to generate anything significant offensively, and he's almost useless when the other team gets in down low.
Eyes on the Prize

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:10 pm

Momesso wrote:I too would love to see Allen back.

If we can package Krajicek + Pick/Prospect for Allen, (or maybe even get Gelinas in the deal too), I'd be ecstatic. Edler could be called up and Fitz can play the #7 depth role.

We need more toughness upfront and on the back end. Mark my words, Krajicek will be about as effective as Brent Sopel (therefore, a liability) in the playoffs.

He's not talented enough to generate anything significant offensively, and he's almost useless when the other team gets in down low.
I would NOT give up on Kraijeck so soon. I was listening to Team 1040 the other day, and some hockey analyst was on there (it wasn't Rey Ferrero...I can't remember who it was).

Anyway - he was talking about how in a lot of instances, many young European defenseman often blossom a little later than usual. He cited one Canuck defenseman from the early 80's (can't remember the name). He basically got let go by the Canucks, and then became a star in the Europe (as good as Slava Fetisov).

Bottom line? I'd hold on to Kraijeck. It would be a shame for us to give up on him, only to become a star elsewhere. Lets give Kraijeck some time to develop.

User avatar
WCE
MVP
MVP
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:57 pm

Post by WCE » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:08 pm

levelheaded wrote:
WCE wrote:
levelheaded wrote:I'm not so sure about Allen, although he is a good defensive defenseman, I'm not sure he's what we need. Krajicek really hasn't worked out as a puck moving defenseman, and I'd replace him in the lineup before I'd replace Fitzpatrick. Fitz has been a lot better since the whole allstar thing blew over and is a + player.

I wouldn't mind seeing Krajicek and a collection of picks and prospects packaged for a solid young offensive defenseman like Pitkanen. Someone who will be with us for more then the playoffs. I know a lot of people liked Allen, but Mitchell does his job even better and can play more minutes. I'm not a big fan of the Rental player idea, and from last year's experience I don't think Nonis is either.
If you want Pitkanen, Bieksa is the name going the other way, not Krajicek.

If we were to trade for Allen, Nonis would do so under the premise of locking him to a contract.

If you recall when the Luongo trade went down, Nonis specifically mentioned Allen as a player whom he would not rule out returning to Vancouver.

That right there tells you that Nonis (at least at that time) had an idea that Allen playing for the Canucks again was a possibility. He made this comment about Allen in lieu of him becoming a free agent.

A contract obviously would need to be signed - but IF Allen was aquired it would not be as just a rental.

Those comments on Allen were made long before Bieksa emerged as a legitimate top 4 defenseman. To start the season everyone knew our top 3 would be solid, but after that noone was sure what would show up. At the time Allen would've been a perfect #4 for us, and was likely the 2nd most important part in the Luongo trade for Keenan.

Unfortunately our needs have changed since then. We don't need anyone to eat up minutes without making too many mistakes, we need someone who can man the powerplay and make that breakout pass. If we got Allen we'd have 3 defensive defenseman, and while in theory you can never have too many, in reality we can.

Allen is a nice idea, but short of him costing a ridiculously small amount (5th or 6th round pick) I could live without him.
The thing with Allen (to me anyway) is that he has proven to have the ability to play 20-23 minutes a night of solid hockey.

You are thinking from the perspective that our top 4 is going to not have to deal with injuries. With the way we were hit last season (Ohlund, Salo and Jovanovski all being out at the same time), I just can't see the logic of thinking that injuries are not going to be a concern again.

I agree that a PP QB would be a great addition (damn if only Krajicek was little more advanced in terms of his development), but if one of our top 4 goes down would that QB be able to step in and play 20-23 minutes a night that would be necessary?

As well, who are our two defensive d-men in your opinion?

The only clear cut defensive d-man in my mind is Mitchell.

Ohlund is more defensive than offensive, but he is an all-around player.

Salo plays a two way game.

Bieksa might play a shutdown role with Mitchell but the way he wheels on the ice combined with his brain cramps makes me very hesitant to call him a defensive d-man. He is a two-way guy as well in my mind.

Krajicek is an offensive d-man who hasn't had that side of his game develop to an NHL level yet.

Fitzpatrick is one I guess, but he would be pushed out of the lineup into the 7 spot.

Allen for a 5th or 6th is not going to happen, the price would be more steep than that. Think about what we gave up for Sean Brown last year (4th round pick) who couldn't carry Allen's jock at the NHL level.

To me, having guy who can step into the top 4 role is an incredible asset. It is an incredible luxury that all teams would love to have and yet very fews teams actually do.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season

Fred
CC Legend
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Post by Fred » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:09 pm

To believe that we will not suffer injuries in the play-offs is simply naive
cheers

supercanuck
CC Veteran
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:21 pm

Post by supercanuck » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:35 pm

Wow that would be a pretty good defense if we got Allen back (rivalling Calgary's top 5).

Looking too , too far ahead, but I wonder if he would resign here if he were relegated to being the number 5 dman here (if we resigned Salo). I think he was playing with Jay-Bo as Florida's number 1 pairing?

Post Reply