Carolina gets Anson Carter

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:43 pm

It would be awful if the Canucks got back Carter.. he bolted for the money....it would just be a distraction....on par with people thinking Bertuzzi should come back.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund

sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:56 pm

I said at the beginning of the season that he would get 15 goals this season playing without the Sedins, and thats about where he is, I'm glad we did not go for him too. I guess CBJ regard him a big flop to take a 5th rounder for him. I'm still hoping for Owen Nolan.
Barret Jackman???? oh god YES!

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:58 pm

I would like to see us keep our first and all three 2nd round picks. this is supposed to be a rebuilding year (and we have a little), but the fact this team is over achieving (and possible peaking) now doesn't hide the problems that we have no where near enough prospects in the system.....

Selling high picks for a a rental on an overachieving year is the riskiest thing DN could do.....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Well Nonis obviously has his eye (as well as earmarked remaining cap room) for someone else.

A fifth rounder in 2008 is just a hair above a bag of pucks...

No doubt Maclean pitched Carter to Nonis. When Maclean put Carter on the block he probably called Nonis first, since he theoretically had the most to gain from Carter. But Nonis is after someone else. He didn't even want Carter at all.

If we had more cap room, I can't see why Nonis wouldn't have parted with a 4th or even a 3rd for Carter. But what cap room we have left is reserved for another acquisition, and Nonis must think that he's got a good shot at landing whomever he is coveting.
Eyes on the Prize

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:45 pm

If we had more cap room, I can't see why Nonis wouldn't have parted with a 4th or even a 3rd for Carter. But what cap room we have left is reserved for another acquisition, and Nonis must think that he's got a good shot at landing whomever he is coveting.

Yep, exactly what I was thinking.

I don't think Carter's talents are very highly regarded among g.m.'s in the NHL and it should come as a wake up call for Carter to realize he could only fetch a 5th rounder as a rental.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:22 pm

Yeah basically instead of signing a 2 or even 3 year deal for $1.8-2.0 million last year, he's going to be earning no more than $1 million next season. I'd be shocked if someone offers him more.
Eyes on the Prize

Farhan Lalji

Disappointed :'-(

Post by Farhan Lalji » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:14 am

If Anson Carter was ONLY worth a 5th rounder, then I'm disappointed that Nonis didn't go after him (if infact, the deal was offered to Nonis).

Carter may not be having a great season, but he was GREAT with the Sedins' last year. Carter is a PROVEN scorer alongside the Sedin twins. Furthermore - as I mentioned before, I think Carter would have added to our already strong team chemistry.

Naslund-Bulis-Pyatt would've been a pretty decent 2nd/3rd line (and if Carter for whatever reason couldn't rekindle his magic with the Twins, then Naslund-Bulis-Carter wouldn't have been so bad).

Oh well.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:30 am

Keep in mind the prorated share of his 2.5 million is still pretty lofty considering what he's done so far this year. I think that if DN is going to go for a rental player, he might as well go for someone who is going to play at or above their contract value. Nolan is making half of what Carter is and is having a better season.

It also could be a matter of principal, Carter balked at what we had to offer him, and trading away potential future assets for someone we could have resigned would almost certainly signal weakness in the GM. If Carter was lighting it up I could see it, but saying "Yeah, we were wrong to let you go, welcome back" seems kind of retarded given the Bulis-like numbers he's put up, proving we were right in letting him walk.

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:40 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:Keep in mind the prorated share of his 2.5 million is still pretty lofty considering what he's done so far this year. I think that if DN is going to go for a rental player, he might as well go for someone who is going to play at or above their contract value. Nolan is making half of what Carter is and is having a better season.

It also could be a matter of principal, Carter balked at what we had to offer him, and trading away potential future assets for someone we could have resigned would almost certainly signal weakness in the GM. If Carter was lighting it up I could see it, but saying "Yeah, we were wrong to let you go, welcome back" seems kind of retarded given the Bulis-like numbers he's put up, proving we were right in letting him walk.
I definitely see your point, and I can also understand Nonis' point (i.e. if it's actually true that the mentality was, "Yeah, we were wrong to let you go..welcome back."). Still....the fact that he was traded for a 5TH ROUND PICK makes me nuts!

Carter may be putting up crappy numbers this year, but we can't ignore the chemistry he had with the twins last year. Carter isn't worth 2.5 mill......on 29 NHL hockey teams. As a RW'er with the Sedins' however, I think that's debatable. BUY LOW, SELL HIGH!

Even the Sedins' seemed to benefit with Carter. At the beginning of this season, everyone was under the impression that ANYONE would be just as good as Carter on that line. So far - we've seen Linden, Bulis, Pyatt, and Naslund. All these men have had varying degrees of success with the twins, but NOT to the extent that Carter had.

Now - can a guy like Owen Nolan (at a cheaper price) be a good fit with the Sedins'? Quite possibly, yes!

Would Nolan cost far more than a 5th round pick? Probably!

Anyway, no use crying over spilled milk. I think it sucks that Nonis didn't get Carter (if Nonis was actually offered this deal), but oh well.

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:04 am

You must really be the Farhan Lalji, because no one besides GM could come up with anything so incredidly moronic.

A 5th rounder, and Nonis passed. That should tell you all you should have already known about Carter.

He's not wanted back on this team. Hell, I never wanted him in the first place. Wow, he had some chemistry with the Sedins - who doesn't?

There are roughly 300 guys that could score more with the twins, with 1/2 the prima donna attitude of Carter. Good riddance.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:40 pm

SRsez wrote:

A 5th rounder, and Nonis passed. That should tell you all you should have already known about Carter.
So what's the worst case scenario? The Canucks (for a 5th rounder), acquire Anson Carter, and Carter turns out to be a lemon. Anything lost? Not really.

Best case scenario --> Canucks (for a 5th rounder), acquire Anson Carter, and Carter rediscovers his magic playing alongside the Sedin twins....a line of which was arguably the best 2nd line in the NHL last season. Pyatt then moves down to play with Bulis and Naslund.....giving the Canucks 3 pretty decent scoring lines.

Little risk. Fairly high potential for reward. That's how I see it.
He's not wanted back on this team. Hell, I never wanted him in the first place. Wow, he had some chemistry with the Sedins - who doesn't?
While Pyatt, Naslund, and Bulis have had varying degrees of success with the Sedins', I think its safe to say that Carter was the best fit. Carter was a right handed shot, and also loved going to the net. On top of that, the Sedins' and Carter seemed to be good friends off the ice. Never underestimate the value of chemistry.

There are roughly 300 guys that could score more with the twins, with 1/2 the prima donna attitude of Carter. Good riddance.
Carter certainly didn't have a prima donna attitude while he was here. Now that he's PROVEN that he can't do much without the twins, I'd expect him to be even MORE humble if anything.

I don't doubt that roughly 300 guys could score more with the twins. However - I'm pretty sure that all/most of these guys would cost far more than a 5th round pick!

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:39 pm

But you miss the point: why bring in a guy that has a God complex? And that's exactly what Carter had when he wasn't happy with the $2M Nonis offerred him. Worst case scenario? He wasn't going to be happy, knowing he's not going to get the money he wants, or even a chance to return next year, so his attitude becomes even worse than the reason Nonis dumped him in the 1st place.

Yes Carter was a better fit than Pyatt & Bulis. Guess what? He also happens to be a better player than those two. But creating chemistry isn't diificult playing with the twins. Martin Brochu could have it, but is that who you want as a 1st line winger?

So yes, a player better than Carter would cost more than a 5th rounder. How many 1st line guys can you get for a 5th rounder?
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)

Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:14 pm

There's no doubt in my mind Carter would be a very good fit beside the twins, but Nonis passed up on Carter on purpose, he made the decision, and there's somebody else on his radar. We need a centre and we only have so much cap room. I hope it's a hockey deal, but if not, it could be a Smolinski.
Eyes on the Prize

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:44 pm

SRsez wrote:But you miss the point: why bring in a guy that has a God complex? And that's exactly what Carter had when he wasn't happy with the $2M Nonis offerred him. Worst case scenario? He wasn't going to be happy, knowing he's not going to get the money he wants, or even a chance to return next year, so his attitude becomes even worse than the reason Nonis dumped him in the 1st place.
Hey,

Don't get me wrong man. I totally understand what you're saying. I actually think you raise very good counter points (which is why this issue is even debatable in the 1st place).

Personally? I think Nonis, Carter, and the entire Canuck team are mature enough to understand that this is the business. Carter scored 33 goals last year. It was well within his right to look for a good deal....a deal of which was in his BEST INTERESTS. If you and I were in his shoes, wouldn't we do the same?

With that in mind, I don't think Carter has any more of a "god" complex than 95% of the players out there. I also don't think that Nonis and/or the rest of the Canuck team, begrudges Carter for leaving to Columbus. Similarly, I don't think Carter begrudges the Canucks for not offering him the $2.5 mill. Carter, like most other players, simply want the best deal that's available for them.

As for Carter's attitude being bad if he got traded here (i.e. knowing he's not going to get the money he wants, or even a chance to return next year, etc.), it would be very foolish for him to act like that since it wouldn't be in his best interests. Carter is a smart guy, and I highly doubt that he'd do that.

Take Bulis for instance. Bulis isn't exactly a happy camper in Vancouver right now, but the guy is playing for a contract. The guy is trying to prove his worth to other GM's that might be interested in him in the future.

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Momesso wrote:There's no doubt in my mind Carter would be a very good fit beside the twins, but Nonis passed up on Carter on purpose, he made the decision, and there's somebody else on his radar. We need a centre and we only have so much cap room. I hope it's a hockey deal, but if not, it could be a Smolinski.
Smolinski should be a pretty decent fit here. If I understand correctly, he's a decent two-way player and a good face-off man. He also has some decent offensive potential.

The other name I heard from Chicago, was former Canuck Jassen Culimore. Culimore would be a nice 5th defenseman if the price is right.